Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't get a high capacity memory stick. It seems the Elantra can only read memory sticks 2GB or less. Every 4GB and 8GB stick I've tried in the car has failed, no matter how it was formatted. Every 2GB stick works. So save your money and buy cheap 2GB sticks.

Charles.
I don't know what's going on with your experience but I've been using a 16GB stick without any problems at all.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Don't get a high capacity memory stick. It seems the Elantra can only read memory sticks 2GB or less. Every 4GB and 8GB stick I've tried in the car has failed, no matter how it was formatted. Every 2GB stick works. So save your money and buy cheap 2GB sticks.

Charles.
I have a 32gb patriot brand usb3 drive and it works just fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
For all of those using the flash drive or MP3 players, does your music start from where you left off after turning the car off, or does it start at the same song every time? Also, mine starts every time I start the car, even if I had it set to radio, cd, or XM before I turned the car off. That gets a little annoying.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Now that I'm properly formatting the USB flash drives, they all work, and pick up where I left off after leaving the car. I'm using 8 and 16 gb sticks as well.

Format them FAT32 with 2048 byte allocation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Clem,

Just got a 2012 ltd, I use the new sony mp3 player I got for Christmas. Hooked to the usb port thru the charging cable, charges player, raduo head reads all folders, show all titles, artists, album art, etc. Even picks up where it left off when I go to another source then back. This is important, because it quits playnig on a corrupted song or file, the radio will show "media connection error". Mine did just that. Had to delete song, and it works well again.

JIm

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello to all. I have a 4th generation ipod nano that I plugged into the USB of my 2013 elantra using a standard ipod/usb cable. Everything seems to be functioning fine. I was reading through the owners manual on page 4-118 and there is a caution written which says " The Hyundai ipod cable is needed in order to operate ipod with the audio buttons on the audio system. The USB cable provided by Apple may cause malfunction and should not be used for Hyundai vehicles." If the plain 'ole usb/ipod cable that I have is working ok now will there be a problem down the road? All the features are working --- song titles, artist etc... even on the steering controls. What is so special about the Hyundai power cable?

Thanks Angelo.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Angelo does your car stereo have 2 knobs? If so its the new model and directly ipod compatible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup 2 knobs! 1 for volume the other for tuning -if those are the knobs that you are asking about? So, if the cable I have is working fine there should be no problem in the future? I'm guessing the manual has not been updated then?

Thanks Angelo.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Yes the stereo was changed mid 2013 model year and this went basically undocumented. The 2 knobs is an easy way to tell the difference. The upgrades I know of are better/bigger display screen, direct Apple device compatibility, and built in storage for saving music to the stereo. I still prefer mine for overall aesthetics though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm picking up my new Elantra tomorrow. When I test drove it (same trim, different colour), I tested my iPod using the Hyundai cable and was unable to control the iPod via the radio controls.

After much headscratching on their part, the salespeople eventually said that it must only be the Limited/Nav stereo that allows drect control of the iPod. I was/am really disappointed, but ended up buying the car anyway, because I liked it that much.

Everything I've been reading (in this forum and elsewhere) suggests that the base stereo SHOULD be able to control the iPod. The salespeople were very knowledgeable about everything else, but were obviously not techies, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were mistaken. Can somebody set me straight?

Here's the details: I was testing on a 2013 Elantra GL with the newer stereo (two knobs). My iPod is pretty old. . . a 5th gen aka 80 gb iPod video. I was using the Hyundai cable (which I'm getting as a freebie).

What say you all?

I'm tech friendly, so I'll be able to make it work if it's just a matter of RTFM and setting it up correctly. If my iPod's too old or needs a firmware upgrade, that's okay too. My new baby is ALMOST perfect. . . hoping someone can make my day here!

Thanks in advance. . .

·
6,836 Posts
:00000732: It was my impression that the entire point of the Hyundai cable was so that you COULD use the radio controls on the iPod. I had the Limited, no nav, and no Hyundai cable, and I could even change tracks with my steering wheel controls on my iPod Shuffle. That was all I could do, though, and every time I started the car, it always went back to the same track. :( I could be wrong, though, so wait for others to weigh in, as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
YEAH BABY!!! Honestly, being able to skip to the next song would be enough for me. In my current car, I just put the ipod on "shuffle songs" and hit skip when it's something I'm not interested in. It's like my own personal radio station.

I had a feeling something was wrong because there was no Hyundai logo or message on my iPod screen after plugging it in. I really wanted to just look at the manual myself, but they had literally every guy in the place trying to fix it and I was getting embarrassed on their behalf. (I'm a girl.) On the bright side, it made me seriously second-guess the purchase and I probably got a better deal because of it. LOL

I'm also wondering if maybe it's because my iPod is six years old? Anyone else running a "vintage" iPod on their Elantra?

I will wait for others to weigh in, but you've already given me hope. :D

·
6,836 Posts
Not sure about 6-year-old iPods, so if there are no other culprits, then that could be it.

Now, my question is: are you getting a different Elantra than the one you tested? If so, then it could be that the particular test model had a faulty port. That has been a known issue on this forum.

There are a lot of variables here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hmm... I think it may just be a Limited/NAV thing now. The 2012 Optima I used to drive had NAV and Kia/Hyundai both have exactly the same setup with NAV. On the Optima, I was able to skip songs using the steering wheel or seek button while paired through bluetooth. In my Elantra Coupe GS w/o NAV, I'm unable to skip using the seek button/steering wheel buttons. I have to pick up my phone and press skip on the screen, which kinda sucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm. Dammit. You mentioned using your phone via Bluetooth. Ever tried an iPod via the cable? (Grasping at straws here.)

I read a post on here talking about the upgraded stereo (two buttons instead of one), and that one of the improvements was direct iPod control. I'm so confused. . .

****, that's lame. I guess it makes for a good upsell to NAV and/or an XM subscription. :mad: The most annoying part is that fiddling with handheld devices (e.g. phones, iPods) while driving is illegal here. (No cop-bashing, please.)

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time with the USB stick drive issue. I was told to get a different brand of stick, which I did. I figured out all the proper formatting and I've actually gotten it to play a few seconds of the song in my car. It then shows the rest of the titles before it reads empty. The dealer tried installing a new head it didn't change anything so they replaced it with the original head. I can stick the drive in a different car, (non-Elantra) boat, or computer and it work fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking towards buying an MP3 player since my free XM subscription is coming to an end.

I was curious as to whether I would be able to hook up any MP3 player to the IPod auxiliary port and have it function through the center console... or if I would have to specifically buy an IPod to have that function available?
I am a new owner of Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited edition 2013 with Nav system and Infinty sound. I have my entire music collection on Sony NWZ-A17 ..approx 128GB . To my delight I found that connecting the Sony MP3 player to the USB input allows me full access of all the music folders albums on the player. I can use the up/down tune button to go up and down the lists and then press Enter button to select the folder or song. the head unit displays the song name the artist and even will show the jpeg associated with the album cover .. I almost fell out of my seat when I discovered this.. it is a music lovers dream come true! As a bonus the mp3 player is being charged as it is plugged into the USB. I have burned mp3 cd's and audio cd's ..they work fine. I have not been very successful with USB drives..still trying to figure out what works. something to note ..my Sony MP3 NWZ-A17 has Bluetooth but I have not had success connecting to the sound system. The head unit can see my MP3 player but for some reason I am not able to stream music wirelessly. But now that I have discovered the functionality of the USB input , i don't really care about the wireless connection. The direct connection will probably give better sound quality. I am just very happy that I can access my 18,000 songs with information display on the nav screen. The Sony NWZ A-15, NWZ A-17, NWZ A-20 all guaranteed to work really well via USB input ..I have a bunch of lesser models SONY MP3 players that didnt work ..

Amit

21 - 39 of 39 Posts