Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking towards buying an MP3 player since my free XM subscription is coming to an end.

I was curious as to whether I would be able to hook up any MP3 player to the IPod auxiliary port and have it function through the center console... or if I would have to specifically buy an IPod to have that function available?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
QUOTE (gosuthx @ Feb 24 2011, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=406749
Looking towards buying an MP3 player since my free XM subscription is coming to an end.

I was curious as to whether I would be able to hook up any MP3 player to the IPod auxiliary port and have it function through the center console... or if I would have to specifically buy an IPod to have that function available?
Do you have the usb port? If so I'd use that with a flash drive.

I did once hook up my phone with the mp3 player with the audio cable and it did work fine. But if I remember correctlly, it didn't display the artist or songs on the radio. With the ipod and cable, you will be able to use the controls and screen on the radio.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
A regular mp3 player will have to be controlled thru the player but if you connect your phone to the usb it should work for playing mp3. That is assuming you have a phone that plays mp3. Also the flash drive thing. You can get an 8gb for under $20 anywhere, under $10 if you shop around.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Any MP3 will work with the proper cable. BUT, Ive noticed that only my iPhone and my iTouch actually display the contents of the device and allow control through the cars various buttons.

I tried my iPod Nano and it did play the music, but thats it. Not control or folder info.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Just get a USB stick for $15 and leave it plugged in. Simple, cheap, and pain-free if someone steals it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My MP3 player worked fine but no display and fiddly. So I burned two CDs--20 cents each--with my music, getting just over ten albums per disk. The stock radio displays the song and has convenient buttons to move backwards and forwards through albums and/or tracks. Lost, stolen or trodden on, easy and cheap to replace.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My MP3 player worked fine but no display and fiddly. So I burned two CDs--20 cents each--with my music, getting just over ten albums per disk. The stock radio displays the song and has convenient buttons to move backwards and forwards through albums and/or tracks. Lost, stolen or trodden on, easy and cheap to replace.
How do you get 10 albums on a CD that normally only holds about 80 minutes?

·
22,788 Posts
How do you get 10 albums on a CD that normally only holds about 80 minutes?
I was wondering the exact thing, just now. If there's a trick I'm missing, hook me up with the 411...!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since the MP3 compression algorithm is a "lossy" compression, it is very much possible to get 10 audio CD's on one MP3 data CD. 10 albums would be approximately 120 songs, so on a 700 MB data CD that would be about 5.6 MB per song. That sounds about right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was wondering the exact thing, just now. If there's a trick I'm missing, hook me up with the 411...!!!
He is burning them to the CD as .mp3 format which allows more songs per CD. Since the Elantra's stereo can read CDs with .mp3s on it then he is good to go. Just bought an 8 GB flash drive and use that in my car. Better than ponying up for XM with it's tin can sound.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah I'm just going to get a high capacity stick too.
I threw a few songs on a cheap stick I had at work. What's the best way to navigate through all the songs? Seems like I couldn't see all of the songs on the stick. Does it cause a problem if the tracks are in another higher level folder (i.e. artist name) first?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally bought the cable to connect my mp3 player (not an iPod). It's the male-to-male audio jack. I don't mind having to control the tracks through the player, and I don't really care too much that the car doesn't display the track/artist. What I DO mind is that I can barely hear it! I have the volume cranked all the way and the sound is only loud enough when I'm in my driveway.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Sansa SanDisc, which is a pretty popular MP3 player and I really like it. I tried plugging it directly into the USB of teh dash, and it did not recognize the device. I went to the dealer and they tried their special adapter cable - which i would have to purchase separately - and we tried that. The car still did not recognize the device. None of the salesman seemed to know much about it, and I got the response that I would have to get an iPod. I'm not a fan of spending money on things I already have.

I was also told that if I got an iPod then I wouldn't need the special cable, which confuses me since the cable exists and they think only iPods will play through the system. So here I am with a car that has a function that I would love to take advantage of, and without dropping another $200 bucks, I can't.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
You can always just put your music on a usb flash drive. Mp3 player is not needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Sansa SanDisc, which is a pretty popular MP3 player and I really like it. I tried plugging it directly into the USB of teh dash, and it did not recognize the device. I went to the dealer and they tried their special adapter cable - which i would have to purchase separately - and we tried that. The car still did not recognize the device. None of the salesman seemed to know much about it, and I got the response that I would have to get an iPod. I'm not a fan of spending money on things I already have.

I was also told that if I got an iPod then I wouldn't need the special cable, which confuses me since the cable exists and they think only iPods will play through the system. So here I am with a car that has a function that I would love to take advantage of, and without dropping another $200 bucks, I can't.
I have the same MP3 player and mine works great with my 2013 Elantra. I just plug mine into the USB/IPOD port and the music titles show up and I can control the music through the steering wheel with no problems. The only issue I have is it starts from the first track of the first folder every time I restart the car. I still have the stock file tree on the player (such as folders for radio, podcasts,etc). I just added music to the correct music folder and it worked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't get a high capacity memory stick. It seems the Elantra can only read memory sticks 2GB or less. Every 4GB and 8GB stick I've tried in the car has failed, no matter how it was formatted. Every 2GB stick works. So save your money and buy cheap 2GB sticks.

Charles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts