Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any experience or read of any situations where a Santa Fe vehicle has moved after the transmission was placed in Park?

Vehicle was in placed in "Park", got out, rolled down driveway, across the street, and into the wooded area before it decided to stop.

Am wondering if there have been any other reports of this?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have seen a similar post here or in the long body forum. I believe this transmission uses a traditional mechanical parking pawl so this would be unusual. Have to ask.....You verified that the shift control was in the "park" position? I know that I have personally turned the engine off (keyless ignition) and left it in gear. There may have been a warning chime or display that drew my attention but I have done that myself....

·
Registered
76 Posts
In Honda cars you can't get the key out unless you put the shift control in park. But for a keyless system, this should be exchanged by a sound alert.

Enviado de meu SM-N920G usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
RVP...That's one thing I miss about keyed ignitions.....For keyless....We need the old Nissan method. Recording that says "hey idiot, put it in park!" Like I said....I have done this myself....

For those who may not get it, back in the 80s Datsun / Nissan played with cars that would tell you: The door is open, washer fluid is low, parking brake is on, etc... It played through the audio system. I actually liked it, but most owners hated it. Especially when it got caught in a loop and would not shut up......

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those who may not get it, back in the 80s Datsun / Nissan played with cars that would tell you: The door is open, washer fluid is low, parking brake is on, etc... It played through the audio system. I actually liked it, but most owners hated it. Especially when it got caught in a loop and would not shut up......
My favorite is always "The Door is A Jar"

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'm going to have to guess the OP forgot to put it in park. Another reason I always set the hand or foot brake.

Wasn't just Nissan, mom had a 83 Cougar that talked to you. Too bad you couldn't teach it to tell you things different....lol I personally hated the feature. I usually talked back to it with more colorful language...lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend's wife (the driver) was adamant that she put it in park, turned it off, and got out. The door was still open while she got out and it knocked her to the ground.

If it were left in gear - and off, I would assume it would roll very slowly, certainly not fast enough to knock her to the ground?

Is it possible she left it in gear or put it in neutral (?), sure. Just wanted to see if there were any other reports of these Hyundai's moving once placed into "Park".

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Haven't heard of other complaints. Wife on the phone texting/talking all the time? Keyless keyfob?

Test YOUR WIFE'S scenario for yourself. Test it yourself in her parking spot. Try reverse or drive with vehicle off, try neutral, and try park. See if it rolls!

Teach wife how to apply parking brake and verify shifter location in park. She probably didn't move shifter all the way and stopped in reverse, neutral, or simply left it in drive.

If vehicle rolled once in park, it will always since you broke the pawl, lever, or its spring.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My friend's wife (the driver) was adamant that she put it in park, turned it off, and got out. The door was still open while she got out and it knocked her to the ground.

If it were left in gear - and off, I would assume it would roll very slowly, certainly not fast enough to knock her to the ground?

Is it possible she left it in gear or put it in neutral (?), sure. Just wanted to see if there were any other reports of these Hyundai's moving once placed into "Park".
'Nuff said... :)

·
2,253 Posts
i have thrown cars into park, while still rolling - its not an immediate wheel-lock-up. it will click its way to a rolling stop.

if for some reason, you shook the car or let go of the brake pedal at the same time as you exited the car, and that was enough momentum for the car to continue = park wont stop it lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well....after some research...it appears she most likely put it in reverse THINKING it was in park. Also found out she was on her cell phone while she exited the vehicle.

I believe the clue's are sufficient to point the finger at her and not the vehicle.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I just joined the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I was parked (car running, gear shift in park) at my community mailbox to grab the mail, (I can swear I put the car in park because it would have moved while I was getting out, I'm always aware of my surroundings - I have been through it over and over again in my head), I took maybe 2 steps and my car was rolling uphill towards my neighbours car and picked up speed, because I did try to catch it before it hit.

My car is a 2015 Hyundai Elantra SE.

·
Registered
303 Posts
For this to happen, there would have to be a damaged parking prawl. If that is the case, you should be able to replicate this issue. Additionally, one should always be using their parking brake/e-brake when parking their car. Doing so prevents unnecessary stress to the parking prawl.

·
Registered
142 Posts
it would be an easy fix for the car companies. my 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 had a gearshift that worked like a joy stick with a park button on the end of the lever. when you pushed the park button it chimed to let you know it was in park. If you just turned the car off in gear or neutral it would auto select park and go into park when the key was turned off or the button pushed on the higher end model with smartkey.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Two weeks ago in Toronto a 5 year old girl was killed when a 2016-2018 Santa Fe that was in park with the driver absent rolled away and pinned her between her fathers SUV and the Santa Fe.

The investigation has not been completed as to why the Santa Fe rolled while in gear. This happened in front of a school and the driver of the Santa Fe had gone into the school to get her child.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Two weeks ago in Toronto a 5 year old girl was killed when a 2016-2018 Santa Fe that was in park with the driver absent rolled away and pinned her between her fathers SUV and the Santa Fe.

Either it was not set to PARK to hold it, axle broke and allow car to roll, shift cable end seperate from selector shaft arm, or pop off shifter lever in center console ??

The investigation has not been completed as to why the Santa Fe rolled while in gear.

Forgive me on this one, should not really need to investigate a car rolling while in gear... it wasnt in PARK..

I am kinda confused

·
Registered
222 Posts
If it was not in park how would she have exited out of the vehicle.We don't know if it was in park or not do we.

You are correct it could have been anyone of the mechanical items you mention however, the experts will determine that all in good time.

My point is that a 5 year old is dead because she was pinned between a Santa Fe and her father's SUV because the Santa Fe rolled how did it happen we don't know.

I will post the outcome when it is known.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car was in PARK! No arguments please!
It went down a flat driveway and then rolled down a steep little hill and stopped itself on the hill. Of course, I found it in PARK. It had not started (it was NOT on). I was screaming behind it. Worried my kids were inside! No keys inside. 2015 Hyundai Sonata

1 - 18 of 18 Posts