Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I'll be moving from San Diego to the Seattle/PNW area. I have a 2.0T AWD. Any suggestions for the new driving conditions besides snow tires? How well do our vehicles handle in wet and cold? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
444 Posts
You have AWD already, all you need is a good set of rain tires.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You have AWD already, all you need is a good set of rain tires.
AWD is not the end all... Snow/ice conditions in AWD still make you slip and slide. So you won't get stuck as easily with AWD but you still have 4 wheel brakes just like 2wd cars. I don't live in Seattle so cannot comment on the driving conditions.

·
Registered
444 Posts
AWD is not the end all... Snow/ice conditions in AWD still make you slip and slide. So you won't get stuck as easily with AWD but you still have 4 wheel brakes just like 2wd cars. I don't live in Seattle so cannot comment on the driving conditions.
That's why I said to get a good set of tires too, ****, always have to be some smart ass comments all the time!
AWD is better than FWD , twice the traction, end of story.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Hi guys, so I'll be moving from San Diego to the Seattle/PNW area. I have a 2.0T AWD. Any suggestions for the new driving conditions besides snow tires? How well do our vehicles handle in wet and cold? Thanks in advance
Generally, Seattle is visited by lots of rain, but less rarely in torrential downpours. Seattle in winter, is warmer than other northern, but inland regions & much better than regions just south of the Great Lakes. Seattle itself has steeper hills than many cities & when the rare snow does occur can give major problems. With AWD you'll be fine, except for the expense of rare need! North of Seattle, I've seldom wanted AWD, except in rare years & occasions when you just gotta get somewhere. Your AWD will help, if you want to travel the snowy mountain pass weather in late fall, winter & early spring.

Saying all that, remember the western Olympic mountains get as much as 200 inches of rain per year, & Mt. Rainier & Mt. Baker have many years of world record yearly snowpacks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's why I said to get a good set of tires too, ****, always have to be some smart ass comments all the time!
You said
Today 04:34 AM Joe Las Vegas You have AWD already, all you need is a good set of rain tires.

"Rain tires" are no good when you get below 10C. I had a set of rain tires on a cool autumn night you wouldn't believe how slippery they are without ICE. At 10C is where all seasons "start" losing traction. All seasons have the least traction at around -10C. I should not have to quote you on your own posts, then get bashed before you reread your own posts...

The best time to have a good set of winter tires is when you often go from Above zero to below zero. As this is where you see the most black ice which is the type of road hazard which will cause you to get into the worst accidents. As you had no idea you were on the ice until it's too late.

And again I will state it. AWD has 4 tires and so does 2WD. AWD brake on the same 4 corners as 2WD. AWD is great for getting you through a snow bank or deep snow. But when your coming up to an intersection and hit black ice. A set of ice tires will easily stop you 40% sooner. And when your talking 100ft that's 40ft which is more then 2 car lengths!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys!! Will probably get a set of winter tires since my wife and I plan on going snowboarding quite a bit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!! Will probably get a set of winter tires since my wife and I plan on going snowboarding quite a bit.
It's always a good choice. Winter tires wear a bit faster then All seasons do to the softer rubber compound

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Play nice, please.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We just had a pretty bad ice storm here in Toronto and the SFS 2.0T AWD was amazing on the ice and snow!! I used to own a Jeep and it was just as good as the Jeep in these conditions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We just had a pretty bad ice storm here in Toronto and the SFS 2.0T AWD was amazing on the ice and snow!! I used to own a Jeep and it was just as good as the Jeep in these conditions.
I agree and that is with the all seasons from the factory. I thought I might need snow tires this year, but so far so good.

Lurn 2 Spel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts