Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing I really am not real fond of is the location of the USB connector in the Sonata. So I decided to move it.

When I'm done it will be located in the Overhead Glasses holder. I don't like the fact that my iPod is in plain open sight.

One thing that won't work, you can not simply solder wires to the plug that goes to the USB/Aux pod. You will get a "connection error" message on the radio.

There is a circuit board in the pod, the connections have to be made there.

After the connections are soldered put the pod back together and reinstall it in the car

Must go by the Hyundai Dealer and figure out how to remove the Overhead console.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmm i like the idea of moving it elsewhere... and there is a video floating around somewhere that shows how to take the overhead console down...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
i was waiting for someone to do this! I actually want to relocate the whole thing in the center console.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The USB Extension cable that I soldered on is 6ft long, it can easily go to the console

Still Apart

Finally Back together

I currently have the iPod under the driver seat, which is OK for now. It will get moved here in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
cool.. keep us updated

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
how did you know what wires went to where on the circuit board? i plan to do this sometime next week...probably in the center console as well

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how did you know what wires went to where on the circuit board? i plan to do this sometime next week...probably in the center console as well
I was a successful award winning installer for 15 years. If your not sure how to do this PLEASE take your car to a reputable installer (not Best Buy).

Now to answer your question

1. I bought a 6 ft USB extension cord and cut off the male end.
2. Stripped the wires back and plugged it into to Hyundai Pod
3. With a Digital Volt Meter, I tested for continuity between the plug and the circuit board
4. Wires were soldered one at a time. (If you have a big soldering gun, don't use it. But a small low watt soldering pen)

If you want a much larger picture, PM me your email and I will send it. My Sonata is a 2013, I don't know if 2011 or 2012 are the same)

Here is a picture of the iPod in my car. I ONLY placed it here for the picture. Remember this is a 6 ft cable, for now it will be under the driver seat.

When its done it will be a 30-pin iPod connector in the overhead.

YES, very easy to put it in the console

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the Factory USB plug is still intact if I need it

The iPod would have to be disconnected before plugging something else in, but I'll like this set up much better

I need to get to the dealer some time this week and buy one more extension cable. One 6 ft cable won't make it to the Overhead.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cool idea. For me, I just keep a micro flash drive in there so no need for an iPod.
Same here, much safer, cheaper and cleaner so for me like you it's a no brainer.

Larry

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
to each their own i guess. i like many others, found this solution much easier and cleaner and no issues with messing the car up. never had to remove it unless i added songs. it's got plenty of storage, 16GB and if it got stolen, i was out like what, maybe $6.

good luck to all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I like the idea of moving it to the glove box where it can stay plugged in and be under lock and key..just have to set it so the glove box can still be removed for cabin filter access

1 - 14 of 14 Posts