Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Santa Fe 2.0T AWD.

I have a Dashcam mounted near the rear view mirror currently and was interested in installing one on the rear windshield to record any events behind me.

Has anyone attempted to do a clean hardwire installation? I know there's an aux power plug in the trunk so I'm wondering what I can tap into and how to route it to be able to put the cmera onto the liftgate glass.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Everyone in our family has a front dash cam but I would like to add a rear dash cam on 2 vehicles as well, I’m debating to use the simple plug in to the 12V port and call it a day. Also interested to see what other members did for the rear dash cam on the SF or SFS, will be watching this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a rear dashcam which I installed on my 2009 Santa Fe. It's one of the ones which connects to the front dashcam, so that everything records on one card. If I were doing it again, I'd just replicate the front dashcam at the rear and call it good.

The cable routing is a bit of a pain, because nothing routes through the rooflining. I had to get my dashcam supplier to build a rear dashcam with a longer cable - about an extra 4ft (20ft total, I believe) is the magic number.

These notes are for the 2009 Santa Fe - but I believe the 2013+ version is close enough for this to be useful.

You'll probably need to remove the secret compartments from the trunk to run these cables. It's a 5 minute job.

Start at the rear hatch. I placed the camera in the middle top of the hatch. There is a centra piece of trim that can come off for cable routing, and also the passenger side trim on the hatch. That will get you access to the rubber cable run cover from the hatch to the main car body. A smooth stick (I use 1ft long fibreglass cable runniing sticks from Harbor Freight) is essential for getting the dashcam cable through that rubber cable run. Tape the end of the dashcam to the middle of the cable, spray with silicon lubricant, and you can push and pull the stick to get the dashcam cable through the rubber cable.

Remove the trim cover for the rear C-pillar (pry out the 'SRS' oval to get to the screw). If you're nervous, disconnect the battery before doing this. You'll now be able to work the dashcam cable down from the ceiling of the car (where the rubber cable ended) down the C-pillar.

If you're connecting to the rear power cord, all you need to do now is remove the side panel and get access to the 12V supply. If you're going to the front of the car, bring the cable down to the floor of the trunk, and run it forward to the rear seats. Remove the plastic trim on top of the passenger kick panel (you'll need to remove one for the front door also), and run the cable in the same channels as all the other electrical cables. Don't disconnect anything colored yellow! (that's the airbag system). Run the cable up inside the A-pillar to get to the top of the windscreen, and you're done apart from putting it all back together.

Allow 3-4 hours if you haven't done it before. Take your time, and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
we no have santa fe, but in both our elantras, i hardwired rear dash cams. i went along the door sill plates, and up the c pillar. on the elantra, these are all plastic and they pop out. i suggest a good set of plastic pry tools. all the hardwire kits are not long enough, so i had to use extensions on both cars. the door seals have to partially come off in some places, but they just easily pull off/push on. the first one i did, i first pulled the center console, and ran the wire under the carpet, and then under the back seat, then to the c pillar. i think that is more work. most of the dual(front/rear cameras on the same card) setups have 720p on the rear. we have 4 separate 4k cameras, each with it's own gps. i am READY. however, i gotta say that when i playback, when some dingaling is riding your rear bumper, on playback, it dont look that bad. also, i am convinced that a lot of the tailgaiters see the camera, and back off.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would personally recommend a 2 channel dash cam system that includes a rear camera, versus using two regular dash cams. I had 2 regular dash cams in my Elantra and it was just a PITA to wire and then get to the memory card.

Using a 2 channel system all you have to worry about is the camera itself and one main wire. No power.

If your SF is similar to my current Tucson you can run the wire through the roof liner then into the trunk liner by the window. Make a nice clean install. You'll have to pull the wire through the hatch wiring grommet where the windshield washer fluid lines are to get it into the hatch area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info.

It looks like no one has tapped into any power from the back. I may take a look at splicing the 12v outlet in the rear to get power (seems risky though).

My current plan is to run a usb cable from the fuse box next to the steering wheel, routing under the driver side door, behind the molding until I get to the rear. I'll try to remove the molding in the trunk to see if I can feed it into the liftgate.

Would love to continue to hear others' thoughts!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure if you have a 12V plug in the back where mine is (2014 Santa Fe 2.0T Ltd.) but I simply ran the wiring from the cam underneath the rubber hatch moulding and attached to a USB/12v adapter plug.
Hi. How is your rear camera attached to the window? Is that a suction cup base? Any info on the camera and how you like it would be interesting, too. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. How is your rear camera attached to the window? Is that a suction cup base? Any info on the camera and how you like it would be interesting, too. Thanks.
Hi. The rear cam is a Transcend Drive Pro 2000 and attached to the window with a double-sided tape mount as it’s more secure than a suction cup, especially in colder weather.

I had it in the front originally but replaced with a Thinkware F50 as the unit is less intrusive and can be hidden behind the rear-view mirror. It's mounted similar to the cam in the back with the cable going across the top of the window and in behind the moulding. Only a small section is exposed where it enters the glove box and exits the other side into the 12V plug.

Both are 1080p and though they lack the frills of some other models, work well enough for my needs. I replaced the memory in both units with 64 GB cards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great job and documentation Dsid! :beer:

Do you have any pics of the view you get from the screen? EDIT: Never mind its a dash cam, you probably view after something happens...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2017 SFS Ultimate and installed a Blackvue front and back camera on mine. The install was pretty clean and it took me less than 30 minutes to install. I will post pictures of the install later today. It's fairly easy to do. Only one plastic panel was removed (from the tailgate) in order to route the wiring.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a 2017 SFS Ultimate and installed a Blackvue front and back camera on mine. The install was pretty clean and it took me less than 30 minutes to install. I will post pictures of the install later today. It's fairly easy to do. Only one plastic panel was removed (from the tailgate) in order to route the wiring.

Awesome, this is a great thread with members showing the rear dash cam install. Please do post up pics for us members to see, more pics and ideas will give members more options to do the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
My compliments to the installers who did such a nice, clean job.

That said...I'm still struggling to see any real purpose to having such a device installed. My 2018 SFS Ultimate has the 8" Nav screen with cameras that can view a series of different directions. Haven't seen the need...but for those who have them...enjoy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My compliments to the installers who did such a nice, clean job.

That said...I'm still struggling to see any real purpose to having such a device installed. My 2018 SFS Ultimate has the 8" Nav screen with cameras that can view a series of different directions. Haven't seen the need...but for those who have them...enjoy.

I think the point of dash-cams is to have a a visual record of any incident that may occur. No conflicting testimony.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mwl001 is right.

Dashcams record video while you drive (some even record when the vehicle is unoccupied and is bumped) rather than using it a live view.

In the event there's an incident (e.g. someone running a stop sign, rear ending you, cutting you off, vandalism, etc.) there is evidence of it as proof.

Personal experience. I was driving 65 mph on the interstate and the right lane had slowed down, someone changed lanes 15 mph without looking as I was driving by and almost hit me. I swerved to avoid them. If there was a collision it's likely that I would have rear-ended them and possibly be a fault (by default). Instead, the video would show that the other driver made an unsafe movement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts