Hyundai Forums banner

Motorhome with a 454 has a leaky exhaust manifold.

17K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Grady Wilson 
#1 ·
Back end of the gasket blew off, Permatex muffler seal is only good for about a 100 miles.

Ordered new Fel-Pro gaskets, but didn't look first, dipstick goes right through the center of the exhaust manifold, bends over to the front of the hood for convenience. As does the oil fill, do this for convenience.

At first, had to buy a funnel with a long hose on it to fill the oil until lightning struck my old brain. Far easier to open the engine cover and pour it in directly. Now I can buy a stock dipstick you can pull out with a single bolt and get it out of the way. No way with that super long tube, built a motorhome on top of it.

Not really that bad in a 27 footer, using the same drivetrain in a 42 footer, they really have problems with exhaust manifolds. Father-in-law had one, had to replace his exhaust manifolds every five minutes, least it seemed this way.

Been through in-laws and nine kids now, sure kept me busy, all gone now, so just have to worry about my own stuff. Kids in college would bring friend over with car problems. Only did one but had to draw the line.

Wife meets a lot of people at the hospital with car problems, and no money, asked if I could help a family. Just replied, I don't want to sound mean, but if I take on one, will have a thousand.

Son's father-in-law gave him his 99 Snowmobile, that ended up in my garage, he finally gave it back to his father-in-law. Five year ago, we went 50-50 on a boat, sat in my back yard for two years, with our wives working, never got much of a chance to use it, we finally agreed to sell it, always something wrong with it.

Was thinking about my grandkids, they never liked it, boring, have more fun in our kayak, they can paddle, and maintenance is zero. Ha, that old proverb is true, best day after buying a boat is the day you sell it.

Was on a boating site for awhile, people did not know you had to completely drain the block and the complete cooling system, how do you repair a cracked block. Also used a rear bearing for the drivehshaft and U-joints, cost them 1,800 bucks to get that replaced, I got by for 60 bucks and a days work. RV dealers around here charge 125 bucks per hour and take their sweet time. How can they afford these things?

Don't know of anybody that has more problems with dealers doing warranty work than me. Just give me the part and I will install it myself. Can't even do an oil change properly.

See less See more
#10 ·
454? That sounded familiar. Our family car was a Delta 88. Can yours do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy9niDredZU
Ha, huge duals on the rears, I don't think so. Ha, get no respect when driving a compact, but sure do when driving this thing with that huge steel bumper up front.

It can very easily creep up to 85 mph, have to use the cruise control.

#3 · (Edited)
Back end of the gasket blew off, Permatex muffler seal is only good for about a 100 miles.

<snip>

Don't know of anybody that has more problems with dealers doing warranty work than me. Just give me the part and I will install it myself. Can't even do an oil change properly.
...you sound like a curmudgeon! Maybe start a blog (or take-up knitting)? :whistling:

#5 ·
I see NicholasD as having limited cranial capacity. By that I mean he has so much in his brain it just flows out. :grin2:

I was taught to respect my elders and always learn something new when NicholasD posts. In other cultures knowledge and wisdom is still valued.

#6 ·
Ha, wife took up knitting, made herself a cap, but used the wrong yarn, doesn't stretch to fit her head. Needs an elastic type, learn by doing, reading, studying, and racking your brain.

Learned everything about building a home, pouring concrete, construction, electrical, and plumbing, HVAC even certified where required.

A $100, 000.00 built on a 30 year mortgage will end up costing you $300,000.00. Yeah, you can deduct the interest payments on it, but still giving most of that money to the bank, just don't pay taxes on it.

Materials cost in only $25,000.00 on that same home, so ended up building it myself and had it paid of in a year. Gave me a couple of extra bucks to have kids, wow, that was a poor investment, LOL.

#18 ·
I don't have any pics of me doing burn outs, especially on residential street, but I can smoke the tires at will in my '64 Malibu SS convertible.
Used to have a '78 Silver Anniversary Corvette with the L-82 / 4 speed combo.
Handled great with the Gymkhana suspension but my Malibu would eat it alive in a straight line.
What year 'Vette?
I see a steel rear bumper but can't tell if the front is plastic.

You might want to slap some headers on that 454.
Exhaust manifolds crack because they get too hot under heavy load.
Headers with some heat wrap may help you to prevent them from heating up too much.
Also, make sure you're not running lean under load or WOT.
Leaning out the mixture will only add to exhaust temps.

Way back when, I worked construction and we had a '72 International 10 wheeler with a boom on it.
Gas engine powered.
Whenever we put a trailer behind that thing we would crack the exhaust manifolds because you had to keep your foot planted to the floor to get the thing to go anywhere.
Our mechanics finally took the glad hands off the rear so you couldn't tow a heavy trailer with air brakes and crack the manifolds.
Was glad to see that one go and get replaced with a new diesel powered boom truck.

#19 · (Edited)
454 cubic inches, boy is that dating oneself, and backwards too, lol. Cubic centimeters is the world standard. I don’t mind it at all. That ole slug conversion factor is a pita.
Let’s be honest, (I HATE that phrase, like if you have a different opinion you’re a liar), muscle cars of the 60’s are sort of, kind of, good to look at. But never ever get behind one on the road. They will choke you with nauseous cancer causing hydrocarbon fumes 10e6 x that of a Prius and infinity that of a tesla.
While one enjoys the modest, (as compared to ludicrous mode in tesla or even a lowly bolt) acceleration, the gas gauge needle moves faster to Empty while simultaneously killing a zillion cochlea auditory hair cells that will never be regenerated. Win-win. Who needs petroleum for future generations anyway.:surprise:

#24 ·
Doesn't even have to be back that far. Trucks didn't need it until into the 2000's, and GM sure took advantage of that. Ford to a big extent, too. Seems only Chrysler bothered to hobble their trucks with emissions back then.

#20 ·
I remember as a boy going watching muscle cars on a Saturday. We only had one main street. One neighbor had a Cuda. Seemed like Mopar products were popular. I can still smell the exhaust odor. Did not bother me back then.

That was back when all the adults I knew smoked. Did not bother me. It was normal.

Now if I am behind an older vehicle with a lot of emissions I want to gag. Same way with being around even one person that smokes. Times have changed.

#26 ·
If you hate 60's muscle cars then you obviously have never driven one or you have no soul.
Were they as refined as modern cars?
Of course not.
But there is something special about them when you're behind the wheel.
Something intangible, something visceral.
No modern car provides the same feeling of being connected to the machine like a 60's muscle does.

Same goes for the antique cars I own.
It's an experience that can't be described, only experiencing it for yourself will do it.

#30 ·
It's obvious you are living in the past...there was no connect with a muscle car, it was like those pointless jet engines from Star Wars hauling you around on a leash!
Today's cars, with tight handling and brakes...are way more "hands-on"!
Now, if you want to talk about vintage power tools...I have a collection, and they beat almost everything made today! :thumbsup:
(I can appreciate the antique cars though!) :wink2:

#29 ·
Mystery on my 1982 454, does not have an EGR valve on it, 1970 455 sure needed one with unleaded gas, without it exhaust valves would be toast in just a few miles.

Has a space on the intake manifold but with a plate on it, have the shop manual, this is the way it came from the factory. Unleaded gas is all you can get, 50K miles on it, compression is still 150 psi across all eight cylinders. But you cannot put ethanol in this thing.

Another mystery, came stock from the factory with dual exhaust, catalytic converters were not required for these motorhomes, commercial vehicles were the same on. But you sure needed one on your 1 liter toy compact car.

For years, GM had leaky valve covers with oil pouring on red hot exhaust manifolds, but never an engine fire was reported, sure made an issue out of this with other vehicles. First step when I got it, installed Pro-Felt instead of using cork, some firmer material, and actually installed metal spacers where the bolts when through, could actually tighten them to specs without put dents in the covers, and they would stay tight.

#31 ·
Modern cars are far too disconnected from the road.
Almost zero real road feel through the wheel.
Do they handle better?
Of course.
But in the interest of appealing to the masses they disconnect you from the actual road experience.

Modern cars are a pleasure to drive in traffic but they just don't have the excitement that you get rowing through the gears of my Malibu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.