Hyundai Forums banner

Motor Trend Drives The 2.0t

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Bearcats 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Maybe it is just me, but why have a turbo "family sedan"?

Now, a Sonata Coupe would be another thing entirely.

Edit to add:

on the other hand, a Sonata with that "panoramic sunroof" would be cool no matter how many doors the car has.

I'm happy with the current sunroof that I have, but to be honest, I'll certainly sit in one with the panoramic when they hit the dealers.

#3 ·
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Jul 12 2010, 05:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341174

The same reason a 48 year old with graying hair and bad knees (me) puts up with a little pain to ride a GSX-R1000 motorcycle.

Old guys and family guys are still allowed to have a little fun now and then.

#4 ·
why not, the body style is aggressive enough to do so, they are using the same model to cover all segments of the market.

naturally aspirated , turbo for performance oriented , hybrid

this will only work if the design is super duper! they have complete confidence on their sonata design and is totally leveraging off it.
now could they do this with the older sonata style <2010 ? heck no. it would be the joke of the industry.

wow 25k for a fully loaded turbo with over 275 horses.

QUOTE (JohnWho @ Jul 12 2010, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341174

Edit to add:

on the other hand, a Sonata with that "panoramic sunroof" would be cool no matter how many doors the car has.

I'm happy with the current sunroof that I have, but to be honest, I'll certainly sit in one with the panoramic when they hit the dealers.

#7 ·
Simple answer: cheaper and lighter than a V6 :grin:. Having said that, I HATE force-induction engines for many reasons, but unfortunately, they're going to continue replacing larger engines, so get used to see turbo or supercharged engines on almost EVERY car in a few years.

#8 ·
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jul 12 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341185
Simple answer: cheaper and lighter than a V6 :grin:. Having said that, I HATE force-induction engines for many reasons, but unfortunately, they're going to continue replacing larger engines, so get used to see turbo or supercharged engines on almost EVERY car in a few years.
You're probably right. I could (and probably should) have waited for the 2.0T, but decided not to because I didn't think they'd get the same pricing and/or fuel economy as an SE. Maybe I'm missing something, but won't this essentially cannabilize the SE market share? Who'd pay the same price for less horsepower? Surely that pricing can't be fully loaded.

#10 ·

Edit to add:

Why have a V6 family sedan? Some people think they need the extra power. Now they can get it with barely a hit to fuel economy. Get ready for smaller engines with the 2016 standards, Hyundai is just ahead of the curve.

#11 ·
I really like the electronic wastegate. I wish I had one of those back when I had my Porsche Turbo. Lots of possibilities. Not sure if many of you know this but turbos are one of *the easiest* cars to get extra power out of, especially in this day and age of electronically controlled *everything*. Guys with the BMW 335i are easily hitting 400hp with minimal tweaking. I'm sure in time you'll see a Stage I 300hp kit for the Sonata. Eventually there will be a Stage II kit putting out 325hp and a Stage III at 350hp. The first two will likely be software only with simple re-mapping. Stage II will probably require 89 or 91 octane gas as will the Stage III which will probably include a full exhaust, intercooler and intake system... This is all pure speculation mind you, but you heard it hear first.

#13 ·
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 13 2010, 12:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341278
Stage II will probably require 89 or 91 octane gas as will the Stage III which will probably include a full exhaust, intercooler and intake system... This is all pure speculation mind you, but you heard it hear first.

Hey Doc, I read where the 2.0T can utilize 94 octane if you wish, and gets an additional 10hp.
284hp isn't bad for a family sedan with a 4cyl!

#14 ·
QUOTE (bobad @ Jul 13 2010, 09:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341362
Hey Doc, I read where the 2.0T can utilize 94 octane if you wish, and gets an additional 10hp.
284hp isn't bad for a family sedan with a 4cyl!
I'm sure 94 wouldn't hurt, the only reason I didn't mention it is out here in California, we're limited to 91 so that's what most moders will build around. The truth is, if you could get race gas at 110 it would be best because it allows you to turn up the boost even higher with less worry about blowing a head gasket. And on all turbos, more boost means more HP. What would be real cool is if someone created an iphone app for that.... Hint hint... =) When I raced my Porsche, the easiest way to add HP was to install an adjustable wastegate. These were mechanical mind you with a dial. You turn the knob and add more boost. The problem was, there was nothing preventing you from turning it WAY up and guys would blow up their motors. That's why I chose it put my knob under the hood rather than in the cockpit. The temptation was just too great. But an electronic version could have built in safety measures. SharkRacing... Are you paying attention? =P

#18 ·
QUOTE (JoeC1982 @ Jul 14 2010, 11:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341855
I wouldn't mind a little more power but i think torque steer might be an issue with that much power and fwd. I'd be happy with a couple bolt ons and 15-20 more hp.

I've been wondering about torque steer because this is the first FWD car I've driven that doesn't really have it. Granted, I've been driving mostly RWD cars for the past 20 years so I haven't driven a lot of FWD cars to compare it to. The last one I owned was a 2003 Elantra and it was real bad about it. I'd also had an early 90's Audi and it too was real bad about too. I could be wrong but I've noticed in the engine videos that the Theta has a device bolted on to the bottom of the block that I've heard referred to as a balance shaft. I've seen balance shafts on other large displacement I4s and they were not nearly as sophisticated. I'm just wondering if it also counteracts the torque steer as well. I've got to imagine if Hyundai is going to go through the trouble to build a 278HP motor for a FWD car, that they have had to find a way to counter act torque steer.

#19 ·
From the Edmunds link:

That typical turbocharged front-drive car sensation of having the wheel wrenched out of your hands (known as torque steer) is mercifully absent off the line. It would seem that Hyundai dialed back the boost at lower revs to prevent the sort of hijinks that make turbocharged vehicles like the Mazdaspeed 3 and Mini Cooper S such handfuls. For all intents and purposes, the 2.0T engine delivers power in the smooth, linear fashion buyers have come to expect from a V6, but with an added dollop of torque.
So, it appears "torque steer" will not only not be a problem, but will not even be a minor issue with the Sonata 2.0T.

#20 ·
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Jul 15 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341921
From the Edmunds link:

So, it appears "torque steer" will not only not be a problem, but will not even be a minor issue with the Sonata 2.0T.
the edmunds link is funny because the mazdaspeed3 is supposed to be torque-steer free due to equal length drive shafts which as I've read is the ONLY way to rid a FWD high HP car free of torque-steer. My 03 maxima had it BAD!!!!!!!!!!

#21 ·
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 15 2010, 09:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341925
the edmunds link is funny because the mazdaspeed3 is supposed to be torque-steer free due to equal length drive shafts which as I've read is the ONLY way to rid a FWD high HP car free of torque-steer. My 03 maxima had it BAD!!!!!!!!!!
Dont forget the nasty wheel hop! :innocent:

But I guess how many people are romping on it that hard that often that torque steer is that much of a consideration?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.