Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on my 04 Santa Fe 3.5 for the last 6 months now. Car has 151k miles. Has been MAJOR headache, car was flood vehicle, MINT interior and exterior that's why she was worth saving. After a Crank position sensor, TPS,radiator, power steering pump, ignition failure sensor, starter, coils, spark plugs and wires, hollowed all 3 catalytic converters and alternator, she finally was running again, not perfect but she ran for a good 2 weeks no leaks knocks nothing. One day after 20 min drive she started knocking badly, after close inspection I believe piston pin possibly letting go, metal shavings in oil. almost scrapped the car until I found out they would only give me $150. Found an 06 Santa Fe 3.5 wrecked frame damage was running and driving at pick n pull, me and friend spent 6 hours pulling motor. Got longblock for $180. Better price that other local yards where they pull motor I was getting $700-1200 quotes for longblocks everywhere I called. My next step is to begin dismantling my car to do the swap. These motors are not that difficult to pull, hoping install will be as smooth. Will update

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Debating on making a "how to" thread with this swap since I saw basically no info when it came to swap on the net. Don't know if it would be helpful to anyone though

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good job. I too thought about this with my Sportage with the 2.7 with 250K on it. Local Pick and Pull is cheap if you pull it. I was imagining how to pull it in the yard and my solution if needed, would be to dismantle the engine in major pieces. Intakes, heads and then the block. This way I could also see if I really wanted this motor. Could get a good look at heads/valves and pistons. Would still be a challenge but the car is worth saving. The motor, luckily is still running great. Keep us posted. Would love to see a "how to" on this Phoenix project.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I dropped a 3.5 out bottom about 12yr ago... take subframe with trans & engine down as a unit, lift body up..

Had to remove head on it due to knocking, had got something in cylinder..

Ratings, same engine all way across for parts, determining factor be PCM program for mapping

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started her up one last time and wanted to see if I could get her to spit parts at me ? at 3k rpm and 30 seconds later she didn't spit parts at me but motor seized up. Ok now the fun is over, started tearing into her. Only had a few minutes so I got bumper removed and started removing pulleys and accessories. Having trouble uploading pics

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got mostly everything disconnected at this point, all I have left before extraction is torque converter bolts and that **** rear exhaust manifold. Any tips on how to get to those bolts easier, even with intake manifold off still looks difficult to get to those mabifold bolts, debating on cutting the exhaust right after manifold and welding back later, any better ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tq converter bolts out ? thought I would have trouble since I seized the motor but after some rotating back and forth of the crank I got to all of the bolts. Motor sounds like a valve or something broke off inside if it, I hear what sounds like a chunk of metal moving around when I rotate crank till it binds up. Oh well, I will probably tear the old motor apart when she's out just to see what happened. Now onto the next task, rear exhaust manifold, any tips on getting that off? Hoping to have this thing pulled by Monday , pics soon to follow...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts