Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for a new engine since May 2, 2013. I have had nothing but the run around with excuses for delays. Now over 4 months and still sitting on the dealers lot dead. I keep getting told there is no replacement engine.

Vehicle is still covered by warranty and Hyundai has provided a rental car for the whole time but this is into the absurd zone.

Has anyone else run into time frames this long or am I getting F'd over?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
What State do you live in? Or are you even in the U.S.?

Are you the original owner, and claiming this under the 10/100 warranty?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
... and out of curiosity, since we never hear this sort of problem here, what exactly caused it to "seize"? Are we talking 3.3 or 2.7?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in British Columbia, Canada. 2009 Santa Fe Limited 3.3l V-6, AWD with NAV. I purchased brand new.

3.3l V-6. Only 80,000kms and is still under the 4 year mark for warranty.
The dealership told me it is seized solid and a valve dropped???
It died right in my driveway with no warning of any kind. I had to pay a $315.00 tow bill to get it to the dealership and have still not been reimbursed for that.

They have removed the engine months ago and it is just sitting there waiting for a new one. I have been given 4 ETA's for an engine but everyone of them has been missed. As of today......no ETA for an engine on the computer system. Hyundai Canada told me I have to deal with the Dealership and just brushed me off.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Geez -- you guys up north of the parallel really do seem to get the short end more than we do down here, though I can't say if our supply of engines is any better. In most places here, your problem would likely have been covered quickly under one of the various lemon laws.

Guess the good news is that we don't hear that these engines 'drop valves', for which I am personally thankful!

Is the rental they're supplying adequate to your needs? Does it adequately replace the function of your Santa Fe? If not, Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) would be the end of the road, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Is the rental they're supplying adequate to your needs? Does it adequately replace the function of your Santa Fe? If not, Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) would be the end of the road, wouldn't it?
I'd look into CAMVAP either way.

Four months in the shop is unreasonable by any standard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem I see with going the (CAMVAP) route is the lack of a solution. My vehicle has over 60,000kms and has been driven for over 36 months. That takes the buy-back option off the table. The only result would be for the manufacturer to be ordered to repair the vehicle. They already agree it is fully covered under warranty......just unable to get a new engine.

I have a Hyundai Canada case worker that has been working on a solution with Hyundai in Korea all week. I am supposed to get a reply on Monday September 16th. We will see what they have come up with........136 days and counting so far! )-:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The problem I see with going the (CAMVAP) route is the lack of a solution. My vehicle has over 60,000kms and has been driven for over 36 months. That takes the buy-back option off the table. The only result would be for the manufacturer to be ordered to repair the vehicle. They already agree it is fully covered under warranty......just unable to get a new engine.

I have a Hyundai Canada case worker that has been working on a solution with Hyundai in Korea all week. I am supposed to get a reply on Monday September 16th. We will see what they have come up with........136 days and counting so far! )-:
If they are providing an adequate rental, I'd let them do it forever. Let them take the mileage hit on "their car"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first rental we were given was a 2013 Dodge Avenger. Used that one for about 2 weeks and took it back to say we wanted an SUV. They have provided us with a base 2013 Nissan Rogue ever since. We have limited rentals around here and it is nowhere near what we had. That reminds me.....add my SIRIUS radio bill to my total since the crappy rentals do not have that either!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealing with Northland Hyundai in Prince George.
Yes there was a bang and fortunately we were in my driveway going less than 5km/h when it happened. As for drive train damage......who knows?? Dealership has said nothing.

Reply today from the Hyundai case worker in Toronto has now given me the 5th ETA, on an engine from Korea, arriving in Toronto on October 7th. Toronto being over 4,200kms away, I would suspect a few more days after that for delivery to the dealership and a few more for the work to be performed..

Still no answer on being reimbursed for my $315.00 tow bill. No answer on the SIRIUS radio reimbursement. Still driving a Nissan Rogue.

138 days and counting.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
477 Posts
From Korea with love?

Shipped to Toronto after arriving In Vancouver port, and then to Prince George?

World class logistics!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Have you dealer order engine in USA from dealer somewhere close to border, come across and take it back with you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hyundai Canada has said there are no engines available in North America.

I have filed a complaint with the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of B.C. yesterday. I feel it has been the dealership that has failed me the most. They fail to get off their ass and do anything to honour my New Vehicle Warranty and reimburse my costs.

I will post how that goes as I can only imagine the grief that is coming my way.....

139 days and counting.......Car Rental Bill = $5,449.00

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well this is pretty much exactly what I expected from a self governing body!

Legislative authority and findings:
The VSA acts within the scope of the authority delegated by the provincial government to administer and enforce the
Motor Dealer Act and its regulations, and certain provisions of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act as it relates to the sale of motor vehicles.
For the VSA to have jurisdiction over a consumer complaint, the complaint must involve:
(a) a motor vehicle as defined in the
Motor Dealer Act;
(b) a licensed motor dealer or salesperson; and
(c) a consumer transaction.
Based on a review of the information you provided, we have established that your complaint involves your dispute with the service department at Northland Hyundai, as well as with the manufacturer, Hyundai Canada. None of these entities are licensed with the VSA and, therefore, the resolution of disputes with these entities does not fall within the VSA’s jurisdiction.

Their advice.......

Next steps
There may be other legal options available to resolve your dispute. We suggest that you contact a lawyer and obtain legal advice in this regard.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
If they are providing an adequate rental, I'd let them do it forever.
True, but...

The first rental we were given was a 2013 Dodge Avenger. Used that one for about 2 weeks and took it back to say we wanted an SUV. They have provided us with a base 2013 Nissan Rogue ever since. We have limited rentals around here and it is nowhere near what we had. That reminds me.....add my SIRIUS radio bill to my total since the crappy rentals do not have that either!
I'd be flippin' mad if I bought a Santa Fe and ended up driving a Dodge Avenger or Nissan Rogue. They are the equivalent of a Hyundai Sonata Walmart Edition or Hyundai Tucson, respectively. A more reasonable compromise would be a Dodge Journey or Nissan Murano.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After sending a complaint to the BBB and the DealerRater Association, I received a cheque for my $315.00 in the mail today from Northland Hyundai. That takes care of my 4.5 month old towing bill at least.

141 days and counting. Car rental bill = $5,527.20

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No reply from Northland Hyundai to the complaint I filed with the Dealer Rater Association. My score of a 1 out of 5 posted to their website today.

If no reply by October 7th, the Better Business Bureau complaint will register against them as well.

154 days and counting.........rental car bill = $6,036.80

1 - 20 of 56 Posts