Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my BIL came over and helped me put a new axle in my SF because the tone ring was broken and had the ABS light lit on dash. The repair went well except for one small error and I need your opinion on the error. When we removed the old axle, we lost a little oil from the engine as it trickled out of the hole in the side of the trans. We collected it in a drip pan and my BIL added it back to the car. Unfortunately, he put it in the transmission dipstick tube instead of the engine! (He is a Saturday shade tree mechanic and forgot it was Tuesday). Anyway, I am not a mechanic at all so I don't know if I should change the trans oil or can I drive it to the dealer and have them do it? My BIL said he will change it if it is necessary. (Not sure if I want him to do it!)
It was about 1/2 quart or slightly more, of oil that he put in the trans.

The SF is a 2002 w/2.7 L engine, 2WD auto trans. with 66,000 miles on it.

I should have had the dealer do the job but I couldn't afford the $500 bill. I am retired and on SS and those kinds of bills are hard to pay.

Any answers are appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
413 Posts
get it changed ........... NOW

Auto trans uses hydraulic fluid that is designed to allow friction to exist between the internal clutches and belts that allow an automatic transmission to work. Engine oil is more general, it has the potential to lubricate too well, causing those clutches and belts to slip, which will cause immense wear and destroy the transmission.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How did engine oil come out during this replacement? Unless you have a Duramax, or I am having a moment, I don't understand how motor oil came out. What came out was transmission oil.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
How did engine oil come out during this replacement? Unless you have a Duramax, or I am having a moment, I don't understand how motor oil came out.
out of curiosity - what does a duramax have to do with this.

Transmission fluid is technically an oil, cars I've worked on can leak some transmission oil (fluid) when an axle or output shaft is removed. So putting back the stuff that leaked out - not the best move as brand spanking new fluid should always be added.

Some awd or 4wd may have a gear box with fluid separate from the transmission and they would have oil in them, typically gear oil which will leak when a shaft is pulled.

To the OP - are you sure it wasn't transmission fluid that leaked out ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
out of curiosity - what does a duramax have to do with this.

Transmission fluid is technically an oil, cars I've worked on can leak some transmission oil (fluid) when an axle or output shaft is removed. So putting back the stuff that leaked out - not the best move as brand spanking new fluid should always be added.

To the OP - are you sure it wasn't transmission fluid that leaked out ?
It is the only application I know of that uses motor oil. I haven't cracked open a Sante Fe, so I was just illustrating it is rare. I edited my post to be more clear as you were typing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just thought that it was engine oil. The oil came out of the side of the motor(?) where the spline end of the axle shaft goes into the engine (transmission?). I hope that explains where the oil was leaking out. I'm not good at what all the engine parts are named. It was dark and looked like oil but could have been trans oil. I don't know enough about this car to know the difference. Sorry, I just assumed it was engine oil.
The trans oil has never been changed that I am aware of. The car was bought by myself three years ago from the neighbor that gave up driving at age 86. He bought it new and hardly drove it in the 12 years he owned it. It had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have put 6,000 miles on it in the three years I have owned it.

It is a
2002 SF..... 2.7 liter v6 ....2wd..... front wheel drive.....auto trans.

Jim

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just thought that it was engine oil. The oil came out of the side of the motor(?) where the spline end of the axle shaft goes into the engine (transmission?). I hope that explains where the oil was leaking out. I'm not good at what all the engine parts are named. It was dark and looked like oil but could have been trans oil. I don't know enough about this car to know the difference. Sorry, I just assumed it was engine oil.
The trans oil has never been changed that I am aware of. The car was bought by myself three years ago from the neighbor that gave up driving at age 86. He bought it new and hardly drove it in the 12 years he owned it. It had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have put 6,000 miles on it in the three years I have owned it.

It is a
2002 SF..... 2.7 liter v6 ....2wd..... front wheel drive.....auto trans.

Jim
You're safe. Given the miles on the car, I'd have the transmission fluid replaced when your budget allows. Let the BIL know all is well. If he changed out your axle, he is fully capable of replacing your transmission fluid. I'd use him if you want to save a few bucks. I usually have this done at the dealer because the DIY cost savings is minimal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help, Midwest. I received a letter in the mail today telling me about a recall on the front springs. I think they break or hit the tire. Something about corrosion. I will have the dealer change the transmission fluid when they take care of the recall.

I really like this car and have not had any problems with it, in the three years I have owned it, until now.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts