Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced all 4 motor mounts for my 2007 sonata 3.3l, 150000 mi. Car made clunking noises at front on uneven road, and 2 front wheels looked tight. After I replaced mounts, the noise is gone.

There are 4 motor mounts in total: upper right engine mount, upper left trans mount, front lower engine mount, and rear lower thans mount.

For motor mounts, you should always get OEM parts. aftermarket mounts are either too hard or break easily. You can find cheaper Korean OEM on ebay, and they are also great. Just send them VIN to make sure the fit.

to do this job you will need:

jack and 2 jack stands, and pieces of wood that put on top of jack

9/16 socket, 10mm socket, and 17mm deep socket. For rear lower thans mount you need to take off wheel.

Universal Joint socket that fits 9/16 socket

9/16 Ratcheting wrench

socket wrench, may need water pipe to have long leverage

enough extension bars

screwdrivers, blue threadlocker, pb blaster

Before changing mounts, make sure you jack up engine properly, especially for 2 upper mounts. They hold too much pressure and you don't want any damage. engine is much lighter than car, so don't over jack, just feel that engine is landing on your jack is enough. For each mount replace, you should find jack spots close to the mount.

1. upper right engine mount
this one looks easy at first, you just jack up oil pan (with piece of wood), loose all bolts on top. but you will soon find AC line just block the way, even you remove coolant and power steering tank. this is the mount I would not recommend to replace at home. If you break the line, you will get trouble. I was lucky that I took out the mount from lower passenger side of AC line. You'd better go for mechanic and pay 1 hour labor to do the job.

2. upper left trans mount
you need to remove air filter box, buttery box, mount bracket to have enough space. Universal Joint socket is important.

3. front lower engine mount
There is NO way to do the job unless you remove the rediator fan. However the fan is easy to remove, just take off bolts on top, unplug cable, pry out 2 plastic things at each side of tan, and just pull out the whole thing. After you remove the fan, this becomes an easy job. you can clearly see all bolts and proper jack spot on top. removing bolts is a hard work, since they are deeply rusted.

4.rear lower thans mount
that is the hardest. 4 bolts on the buttom of subframe are easy to find, but hard to get off. there is very little room to remove center nut, so I took off left tire, and use a super long extension bar and universal joint 9/16 socket to get the nut from wheel side. You also need to deal with centor bolt at the buttom, using wrench. To remove the mount, the best way is from top. You remove air intake and replace is at top. When tightning bolts you need some blue threadlocker to make them tight. Never use red threadlocker they are too strong.

Feel free to contact me if you have any problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank You. I have an 06 but I take it, it should be the same? I can not find anything on motor mounts in the large service shop manuals.

Does this look like I need a new front mount?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I have an 06 but I take it, it should be the same? I can not find anything on motor mounts in the large service shop manuals.

Does this look like I need a new front mount?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aeetVARqg
you can remove the fan to check if the rubber is broken. It's easy that just several bolts and unplug 1 wire from fan. This is one of 4 mounts- To check passenger side mount, put your hand under it to see if there's any leaking or damage. For driver side mount, you can pull out air filter box to check.

In my case, it was only rear mount failed, and makes clunking noise on tough road. My suggestion is, if the rubber is OK and no clear damage/ gross distortion, then don't need to replace

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can remove the fan to check if the rubber is broken. It's easy that just several bolts and unplug 1 wire from fan. This is one of 4 mounts- To check passenger side mount, put your hand under it to see if there's any leaking or damage. For driver side mount, you can pull out air filter box to check.

In my case, it was only rear mount failed, and makes clunking noise on tough road. My suggestion is, if the rubber is OK and no clear damage/ gross distortion, then don't need to replace
Thanks. Yeah, I will have to get a closer look. Where is the rear located? Is it center of the engine or to either side of the rear of the engine? Can you see it from the engine compartment or only the underside?

And the rear is the trans mount? Edit, I see you mentioned it is in your OP that it is a trans mount.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I will have to get a closer look. Where is the rear located? Is it center of the engine or to either side of the rear of the engine? Can you see it from the engine compartment or only the underside?

And the rear is the trans mount? Edit, I see you mentioned it is in your OP that it is a trans mount.
rear mount just at center rear of the engine. You can see it from top with a light. It's like a 'n' shape on top of steering rack and subframe. You can push your car back and forth, and see if it's rebounding or virbrating

1 - 6 of 6 Posts