Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 2.7L GLS AT 2WD with 97K miles.

Dealer says I need 2 motor mounts (front left, as facing the engine compartment, was replaced a short time ago) for $650 and a front sway arm bushing replaced for $324. They also say I need spark plugs and wires for $505.

1.) Is a motor mount replacement something that I can take care of at home in the driveway? I don't see it referenced in my Chiltons.

2.) In my Chiltons I don't see a sway arm referenced. I see a stabilizer arm bushings procedure called out. Are they one in the same? This procedure looks relatively straight forward.

3.) Spark plugs and wires I have done before on other, older, vehicles so that shouldn't be to much trouble (I hope...).

Are there any specific troublesome areas I need to be on the lookout for with any of the above procedures?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (azboog @ Aug 21 2010, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350915

Dealer says I need 2 motor mounts (front left, as facing the engine compartment, was replaced a short time ago) for $650 and a front sway arm bushing replaced for $324. They also say I need spark plugs and wires for $505.

1.) Is a motor mount replacement something that I can take care of at home in the driveway? I don't see it referenced in my Chiltons.
Why do you think you need mounts... aint ever replaced mounts in Sant Fe.... Tried to sell 1 because fella came in for frame recall and the whole mount was missing (roll stop mount at bulkhead side)..

2.) In my Chiltons I don't see a sway arm referenced. I see a stabilizer arm bushings procedure called out. Are they one in the same? This procedure looks relatively straight forward.
You have a sway bar at front, and (2) sway bar links... wording depends on how you were taught..2003 should already have the beefier bushings-brackets, have not seen issues with bush wear with the heavier parts.. why do you need sway bar parts ?

3.) Spark plugs and wires I have done before on other, older, vehicles so that shouldn't be to much trouble (I hope...).
Typical 60,000 multples for the platinum plugs... Use NGK Platinum, or upgrade to NGK IRIDIUM, sometimes be had for less money than platinum, replace wire set with HYUNDAI OE wire set, too much work to end up with missfire 3 week later and have to take it back apart to fish the wires out

Are there any specific troublesome areas I need to be on the lookout for with any of the above procedures?
Straight forward replacements

Thanks in advance.

I am having problems with $650 for mounts , is they some kind of custom handcrafted specialty things ?

I really like the $324 sway bar parts , help me out here.... new style bushings and brakets is about $40 in parts, and a little over 1 hr labor, links at most 0.5hr per side (warranty is 0.2hr each)

Plugs for $500 ~~~, Figure (6) Platinum plugs, $10 intake gasket, and 3hr labor charge, add maybe $87 for OE HYUNDAI wire set..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Why do you think you need mounts... aint ever replaced mounts in Sant Fe.... Tried to sell 1 because fella came in for frame recall and the whole mount was missing (roll stop mount at bulkhead side).."

Dealership says they are cracking. I do live in a area that experiences hot summers (Phoenix, Az) so rubber cracking from the extreme conditions is something that is not unusual. Does this cracking mean they need to be replaced? Or can I go awhile on them with some cracking?... Depends on how severe it is I guess. I will take a look at them when I get the vehicle home once I figure out exactly where to look.

"You have a sway bar at front, and (2) sway bar links... wording depends on how you were taught..2003 should already have the beefier bushings-brackets, have not seen issues with bush wear with the heavier parts.. why do you need sway bar parts ?"

Dealership says that I need front sway arm bushing replaced at $324. Is there an easy way to identify the beefier bushings/brackets? My Chiltons does, as I recall, have this procedure so I will look at doing this myself. Hopefully relatively easy to do once I get it up on the jackstands.

Spark plugs seem easy and will take your advice about the wires. Thanks.

Ya, I'm having a problem with a lot of what the dealership is telling me this is going to cost.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Unless you is having some sort of problem with the mounts, walk away real fast.. the 2 mounts at the transmission bellhousing is just "roll" mounts to limit engine rock...

The mount at left frame rail (tail of trans) and right frame rail (to belt end/front of engine) are your motor mounts.. unless there is problem, walk away.

The sway bar, links and bushings... look at pics and see the 2 hump bracket (revised heavier duty) with rubber bush inside and sway bar pass through it with link at each end... noise, yes, consider replace, but like told before, bush and brakets is only approx $40 in parts, and since you have 2WD, should be no more than 1hr labor, unless they charge $280/hr shop rate...

The Santa Fe around here is good for periodic lower ball joint replacement...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hang on - there is some bad advice on here. First, unless you're quite the mechanic, I wouldn't attempt the spark plugs. The rear ones are under the Manifold, which means you have to completely take it off and put it back on...and good luck with that. However, replacing the wires at the same time is definitely worth it. As for Motor Mounts, they definitely go bad...I'm dealing with it now on my son's 2003 Santa Fe but am in no rush as it doesn't harm anything.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hang on - there is some bad advice on here. First, unless you're quite the mechanic, I wouldn't attempt the spark plugs. The rear ones are under the Manifold, which means you have to completely take it off and put it back on...and good luck with that. However, replacing the wires at the same time is definitely worth it. As for Motor Mounts, they definitely go bad...I'm dealing with it now on my son's 2003 Santa Fe but am in no rush as it doesn't harm anything.

SBR711 isn't just a random fool off the street you know.

Reactions: pks

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Hyundai Santa Fe Spark Plug replacement on a V6 Cyl

Here is a guide for you to follow. Like SBR711 says, you might as well replace the wires as if you use the iridium's- this should be the last time you should have to in there. Ignore the guy who said it's too tough to do your own plugs. If you've turned a wrench in your life- following that guide is pretty easy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Holy Necro thread!...LOL!

I did do the spark plug/wire set replacement and as long as you follow the procedure it's not that difficult.

The bushings I have are the 2 hump versions and I have left them alone. The motor mounts I have also not replaced as they look ok when I inspected them.

As far as the "bad advice" goes, I have and will continue to trust sbr711's advice on any and all issues he cares to chime in on. He works on these vehicles and has been for quite some time as far as I know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SBR711 isn't just a random fool off the street you know.
Don't matter to me if he's the Pope or a Poet - facts is facts, and I'm just stating them. And it depends on your level of proficiency, like I said the rear plugs require you to remove the manifold to get to them. If that's something you're comfortable doing on your own, by all means have at it...

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (azboog @ Aug 21 2010, 04:42 PM)

I am having problems with $650 for mounts , is they some kind of custom handcrafted specialty things ?

I really like the $324 sway bar parts , help me out here.... new style bushings and brakets is about $40 in parts, and a little over 1 hr labor, links at most 0.5hr per side (warranty is 0.2hr each)

Plugs for $500 ~~~, Figure (6) Platinum plugs, $10 intake gasket, and 3hr labor charge, add maybe $87 for OE HYUNDAI wire set..

Ok, 4wd I got the same problem engine mount or says the mechanic, just got out of the shop, wife didn't want me working on it...replacing as maintenance, timing belt, both serp belts, cam & crank sensors, water pump, both pulleys, hydraulic tensioner. after getting it back it was making noise..so I took it back to him and told him to get it right. he figured out it was the hydraulic tensioner. so he fixed it...guess I wont let her make my choices anymore. I will be working on it...
now when I got it back he mentioned my motor mounts was bad - both????he told my wife 800.00 I'm thinking..we just has the passenger side done in 2010 could this have gone out THAT FAST we are not heavy on the foot either..
question about this mount...
not sure what its called I will call it big bushing that goes under that mount bracket..thats all I need? ...hmmm... Im not hearing any noise at all should I wait??... he also mentioned my p/s hose is leaking is this one continuous hose??...hmm.. it didn't seem like it was before I had this work done.. now... you have to take off that hose(s) to get to these part to replace and that motor mount as well.....hmmmm...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts