Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.Today I inspected an 08 iload I am thinking of buying and when I popped the bonnet all the alloy and aluminium engine parts were absolutely pitted with corrosion of some sort.It is obvious that there has been some sort of a reaction with what I don't know.The seller says it was a degreaser or cleaning product that had a reaction with anything that is alloy in the engine bay.Makes the motor look very worn and old.Any ideas on what another scenario might be such as maybe an engine component bursting and spraying the engine with a corrosive solution.I might add it doesn't seem to effect the running of the motor.The alternator case has been stripped bare of any coating it might have had and is covered in a thick fine alloy dust that you might see after a chemical reaction.

Hope everyone can understand my gibbering.I like the car apart from this problem and will probably buy it if I am convinced I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for any ideas.

Darren.

p.s No photos .No phone on hand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like it might have been oven cleaner or caustic soda, which will cut grease but eat into alloy pretty fast. A long shot: The motor hasn't been flooded in salt water, has it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good point pracshooter! With the floods of the past in Qld, can you be sure it wasn't a flood damaged car? Just curious.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Simple Green cleaner can affect aluminium

·
Registered
15 Posts
mine's 2.5 years old now and it lives in a very damp sea climate, the engine ally still looks as good as new I'm pleased to say

1 - 8 of 8 Posts