Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2013 Canadian GLS with the DRL.

I want to do the retrofit to projectors... but I'm not sure what to do with the DRL?

I've contacted a dealer, and they said that the lower voltage DRL will cause the hid to flicker and die sooner.

I don't want to disable the DRL, because it's a safety feature.

Is there a way to get the DRL to run on low-beams all the time?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could run a wire directly from the battery to the DRL. But, you should add a inline fuse to that wire and you need to run a wire from the DRL to ground.
Now you have the DRL on a separate circuit and I THINK you shouldn't have the flicker problem. But not positive!

I have a 2013 Accent SE (US version) that has no DRL and I installed the morimoto mini H1 retrofit kit.
The original reflective beam headlights sucked. Plus my previous car had factory HID headlights, so I definitely needed to install the morimoto h1's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could run a wire directly from the battery to the DRL. But, you should add a inline fuse to that wire and you need to run a wire from the DRL to ground.
Now you have the DRL on a separate circuit and I THINK you shouldn't have the flicker problem. But not positive!

I have a 2013 Accent SE (US version) that has no DRL and I installed the morimoto mini H1 retrofit kit.
The original reflective beam headlights sucked. Plus my previous car had factory HID headlights, so I definitely needed to install the morimoto h1's.
The DRL runs on the same bulb (drl, low, high). I'm not sure how I can split them.

I contacted Prolightz and they asked me this question... maybe someone can shed some light..

"The best thing would be to know if the DRLs on the vehicle are controlled by the Body control unit or if they use a resistor.

If it uses a resistor well that make your life much easier. You could unplug that and use the signal to power what ever you want. ( Halos, Fog lights and more.

I haven't find much on the web to answer that question.

I would suggest doing a bit of research on that then you could decide which route you would like to go.

Or you can keep your low beams on at all time."

·
Registered
7 Posts
You sir have the exact opposite issue as me.
I have the projector housings with factory LED, but in the US the LED don't work as DRL. If I use parking lights I get LED DRL, but I like the auto on headlamps. The parking lights show the same dash light as headlamp, not cool.
I want DRL.
I'll share wire colors if you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The DRL runs on the same bulb (drl, low, high). I'm not sure how I can split them.

I contacted Prolightz and they asked me this question... maybe someone can shed some light..

"The best thing would be to know if the DRLs on the vehicle are controlled by the Body control unit or if they use a resistor.

If it uses a resistor well that make your life much easier. You could unplug that and use the signal to power what ever you want. ( Halos, Fog lights and more.

I haven't find much on the web to answer that question.

I would suggest doing a bit of research on that then you could decide which route you would like to go.

Or you can keep your low beams on at all time."
The most info I could find on the DRLs is here http://www.hyundai-forums.com/rb-2012-2017-accent/147410-disable-daytime-runnig-light.html
I'd like some more insight before cutting, but theoretically you could use the DRL signal to to switch relay for some other lights?!?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most info I could find on the DRLs is here
I'd like some more insight before cutting, but theoretically you could use the DRL signal to to switch relay for some other lights?!?

Thanks.

I think I have an idea...

Disable the DRL using the above method...

Install Morimoto mini d2s or mini h1 w/ Panamera switchback LED DRL shroud.

Use the panamera switchback LED shroud as the DRL. Connect the LED shroud to a ACC in the fuse. This will turn on the LED whenever the car is on. (similar to how my dashcam is wired)

Let me know if this makes sense to you all? I think it could work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts