Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my night vision is slowly degrading as I age, so I'm looking for a better low beam solution... :rolleyes:

I've encountered the Morimoto Elite system from this forum and convinced myself that this is the system I need. I'm thinking of getting the 5k color temperature version.

I went through the following URL:

D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

... and realized I don't know what I'm doing... :D

Under options section, what do I need to select for the 2011 Sonata?

Ballasts: Long cord outputs vs standard
Bulb Spec: There are SIX 35w choices!
Kelvin: As I mentioned, I think I will go with 5k instead of 4.3k. Not interested in 6k look.
Wire Harness: No idea what this is about... :rolleyes:

I'd appreciate if someone with more knowledge can point me to the right direction....

Also, I assume I will need to go to a specialized garage to install a kit such as this? Can a private owned garage owner install a kit like this?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well, you have had a couple reply's but not answers to your request. I've purchased a couple items from Retrofit Source but not the HID kits. I believe if it were my kit I would purchase the long corded ballast for ease in mounting. Stick with the standard D25 bulbs in the H7 size, same with the ballast type (standard). You need the H7 kit because that is the Sonata projector type (designed for the H7 bulb). Any auto-electric shop should be able to install the kit. The relay needs to isolate the HD lighting output to protect the Sonata computer.

I would stay with the 5000K or the 6000k ballast. 5000k is more white, 6000k is tinted blue. Both are good.

Call Retrofit Source and ask questions, once satisfied order by phone. After installation you will be amazed at the difference in lighting output. Good luck. I would appreciate your providing some feedback on the Retrofit Source HID's.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looks like my night vision is slowly degrading as I age, so I'm looking for a better low beam solution... :rolleyes:

I've encountered the Morimoto Elite system from this forum and convinced myself that this is the system I need. I'm thinking of getting the 5k color temperature version.

I went through the following URL:

D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

... and realized I don't know what I'm doing... :D

Under options section, what do I need to select for the 2011 Sonata?

Ballasts: Long cord outputs vs standard
Ask in a phone chat

Bulb Spec: There are SIX 35w choices!
Sonata is H7. Confirm the 35w: Morimoto 3Five gives their std D2S bulbs;
I'd ask WHAT the XB35 Bulb option @ (+ $10) provides.

Also, tell them that in Sonatas there was a light Shadow that resulted IF the "pole" on the bulbs (clk on their pkg pic in your link page to see the Blue bulb poles) was installed in the 12 o'clock position, and some bulbs had to be mod'd so the poles could insert at 6 o'clock.
Is it an issue with their bulbs?

Kelvin: As I mentioned, I think I will go with 5k instead of 4.3k. Not interested in 6k look.
Tell them that .

Wire Harness: No idea what this is about... :rolleyes:
The H7 Canbus can NOT be used because it's Not recommended IF you have DRL's, which Sonatas do.

Here's a big question. They show [Relay: H7] BUT XenonSupply & HIDExtra offered a "separate Relay Harness" @ (+ $10) that Powered the HID lighting Direct from the battery, NOT via Car's main elec system.
There was Always a Forum warning that Not using the extra Relay Harness exposed you to the "Chance" that a power spike could FRY an $800 electronic module, so Always buy it. I believe they Power via the car's main Electrical System , so ASK them about this and be comfortable with the answer.

Clk On the JPG Diagram attached at bottom:
The ONLY interface to the car was via the driver HID Bulb wiring that had 2 spaded wires. The spades inserted into the car's wiring module that the low beam Bulb plugs into, and THAT was just to provide the On-Off-Auto On signals from the car's cabin light switch. The car's Psngr Bulb wiring Module isn't used with this extra harness.

I'd appreciate if someone with more knowledge can point me to the right direction....

Also, I assume I will need to go to a specialized garage to install a kit such as this? Can a private owned garage owner install a kit like this?
I'm 65 and Not electrical, and did my install without an explosion - BUT - only after watching a XenonSupply Install Video (link below).
I say this ONLY so a shop won't make their PRICE worthy of a major project.
I feel it's an hour or less job.

>> I'd even involve the shop in the phone call IF they'll do it.

Install video If interested......

Hyundai Sonata HID Xenon Installation How To Guide
Thanks much!
It won't let me post with answers only in the Quote so I'm writing this to satisfy the rule.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts