Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My questions are at what point should I get my brake fluid flushed? Mileage or a time.
Also I am curious about how long a drive belt lasts for the water pump, alternator?
The fuel filter should be changed at what mileage?

If it helps I live in Canada where its -30 celcius in the winter and up to 30 celcius in the summer and everything in between. I drive about 12000km or 7500 miles a year. I am just planning ahead so I can save up for these services.

Thanks for your input guys and gals

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (Sonota204 @ Dec 18 2010, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381193
My questions are at what point should I get my brake fluid flushed? Mileage or a time.
Also I am curious about how long a drive belt lasts for the water pump, alternator?
The fuel filter should be changed at what mileage?

If it helps I live in Canada where its -30 celcius in the winter and up to 30 celcius in the summer and everything in between. I drive about 12000km or 7500 miles a year. I am just planning ahead so I can save up for these services.

Thanks for your input guys and gals
My shop regularly tests the brake fluid using a litmus type strip test. When the test shows that the BF needs replacing, that's when it gets replaced. I think it's ends up being about 60K miles or so, ~100K kilos.

I replace all rubber, belts/hoses, at 100K miles, 160K kilos. Nowadays, these components can easily last this long and I've never had a belt or hose break since since I have started this 100K mile replacement of rubber.

Manual says fuel filter should be changed every 37.5K miles. I plan on changing mine when it needs changing or when I have to replace the fuel pump. If you use high quality clean fuel, how bad can the fuel filter get?

I should also note that we typically put on 15K miles/year on our vehicle. At your 7.5K miles/year, the rubber might need replacing before 100K miles. I would keep an eye on the serpentine belt and when it shows significant wear, I would still replace it and the hoses at the same time.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Scope out the serpentine belt (and anything else of interest) with the brightest LED light you can get - any defects will jump right out at you. My belt is pristine at 35000 miles

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is about 4-5 years a good rule of thumb if I don't put the mileage on. I have litmus paper so is there a colour chart guide I can compare with so I have an idea what condition my brakefluid is in?

Thanks again for your valuable advice

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (Sonota204 @ Dec 19 2010, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381455
So is about 4-5 years a good rule of thumb if I don't put the mileage on. I have litmus paper so is there a colour chart guide I can compare with so I have an idea what condition my brakefluid is in?

Thanks again for your valuable advice
Yeah, 4-5 years sounds about right might get a bit more just keep an eye on the serpentine belt for any wear and tear also doesn't hurt to check hoses for any bulges or cracks.

I'm not sure if the shops uses actual litmus paper or not, but it is a litmus types test strip that they dip into the BF and then compare to a color chart to determine condition of BF.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would just regularly inspect the belt and hoses and replace them when necessary. They should last for a very long time. My previous car was a 2000 Tiburon which I put ~200,000 kms on over 7.5 years. I never had to replace any of the belts or hoses (other than the timing belt).

My Sonata has 126,000 kms on it and the serpentine belt and hoses are original.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm at 75k on my 2007 I-4. Just changed my serpentine belt as it was squealing like a pig in cold damp weather. It sounded like a 20 year old jalopy. When removed there were some small chunks of belt missing and numerous cracks. Brake fluid I flushed when I did the brakes. Many places recommend every 2 years not sure what the manual or dealer says. I've experienced dirty contaminated fluid and the effects on braking and the rest of the system. To properly do the brakes the bleeders should be opened when pistons are pushed back to avoid stressing the seals the wrong way. At that point they need to bleed anyway so a power flush is easy. I use ATE BLUE and TYP 200 which is same fluid one blue and one gold/clear. if typ 200 is in, when blue comes out, lines are flushed, do it at all wheels. This also makes sure you can actually get your bleeders open so they are not frozen in place. Very rarely have I had to get new calipers as many do for that reason.

Hoses - keep an eye on them for any issues and change accordingly or at least when antifreeze gets flushed. Yes that should be done every X many years based on manual and if it "normal" or "long life". My brother-in-law just had the issue where so much junk collected in the coolant system that it clogged his heater core in his Blazer.

Fuel filter - every couple years and or mileage based on factory manual. I do it about every 2 years as I do 20k+ a year and have experienced a clogged fuel filter on an old Malibu with a carburetor. Of course it was night time, winter, in the Adirondacks in the middle of nowhere on a Holiday weekend. Luckily it was an easy change as it was on the carb and I carry tools. The closest gas station was 5 miles away and only the convenience store was open but they had the key for the shop and there was filters on the wall as they were a common part at the time. Clerk had no clue but I knew what I was looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts