Hyundai Forums banner

More Pano-roof concerns

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Propflux01 
#1 ·
I've read and re-read the posts for sun-roof issues but I am about to buy and was wondering if the 'almost GT year club' had started to experience sun-roof issues.

Leaking, general functionality, head-liner looking a little worn and ***scratches/chips on the exterior.

My Corolla had a tree branch fall on it---during a rain storm...small dent on roof but paint is OK...I wonder how the Pano-roof would do if a tree branch or small rock hit it?

THX...PLS let me know if I should have posted this in another thread...

#4 · (Edited)
Still, it is tempered glass. Made so it would shatter into small pieces.

Perhaps not exactly like a wind shield. I know it is like the rear window as mine has done that.

But it is nit picking. The roof is glass, tougher than regular glass. but if you have stuff drop on it, well expect glass to behave like.. glass. :)

But I think there is not much need to worry.. how many cars out there have sun roofs? Not much ever happens.
I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 ·
As a resident of tornado-prone Oklahoma, I can see a BIG problem with this rooftop when baseball-sized hail is dropping from 30,000+ feet. Rare to see softball or grapefruit-sized, but it has ocurred. Sunroofs would run for cover if they could.

#6 ·
THX guys...if I ever end up in Oklahoma and it starts to hail, I'll throw myself over the roof and take the hail for the team...

...as much as I like the GT GLS, I'm concerned that THE PANO will become a high maintenance option ..so may have to play it safe...I'm thinking Tuscon GLS next week as a possibility...prices should drop Aug 1 w/new Hyundai incentives to move the 2013's

#7 ·
This comment has absolutely nothing to do with the roof, but since you brought up Tucson's, you'd be pleased to know the wife absolutely LOVES hers. Pains me to tell you it sits better and rides smoother than Ingrid. And it's cute as heck. But Ingrid's sexier! LOL

Maybe for Christmas I'll get her some chrome 17's and chrome step rails for the Tucson. Maybe. If she's a good girl.

#8 ·
I've had the car for nearly a year and have put over 15k miles on it in that time. One of the reasons I bought the GT was the pano roof. I have 3 kids, and while my car isn't the designated "family hauler" I still need to be able to fit the family in it so a convertible was out of the question. The pano roof was the next best thing and I absolutely love it. So far (knock on wood) I have had zero problems with the roof and would severely miss it.

Sure there could be the occasional problems with having a glass roof and manufacture defects just like anything else, but it is just so fun to have. Plus, there are quite a few vehicles that now offer this and the reports of issues are small in comparison to the number of cars with one. I wouldn't hesitate to get a car again in the future with a pano roof.

#9 ·
THX...you both make a strong case... come August 1...hoping Hyundai Canada trim the GT's by few thousand and add upgrades...I plan on beating the snow and heading west to Vancouver then down the coast to cruz the southern US...no better way than under PANO!

#10 ·
...I plan on beating the snow and heading west to Vancouver then down the coast to cruz the southern US...no better way than under PANO!
By golly, that's the way to do it! Buy a new car and let her run! You're gonna have the trip of your life! With a view!!

#13 ·
The pano roof has been great on this current road trip. Even though I have some creaking and popping, I would not trade it. Driving through upstate new York and outport newfoundland over the past week we had it open on several occasions and it really added to the trip.

Enjoy it :)

#14 ·
called Hyundai Canada...the pano-roof isn't covered in extended warranties-it's not considered a moving and necessary component of the vehicle (what if it gets stuck open?)...I really have to read the fine print...re: all these extra protection plans...

#16 ·
Have had no issues with the other half's GT roof. I do assume however, that since it is glass, that I can withstand alot more than the other glass in the car, after all, with such a big roof of glass, there is rollover issues that bad to be taken in account. I saw a video of an NF sonata get hit by large hailstones with a sunroof, while it did break out the front, back and side glass, the sunroof glass, while cracked, was still intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.