Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I belong to a forum for MGB owners. There's a common term; DPO which stands for Dumb Previous Owner. The last of those was built in 1980. Most of them have had several previous owners of varied mechanical ability. It's a common issue. I never figured I'd have the same sort of problems in the first car I'd ever owned built in the current century.

So, after I got the crankshaft sensor and the AC on my 'new' '05 Sonata sorted, I figured it was relatively smooth sailing. I picked up an old friend at the airport. He informed me I had a headlight out. No problem...I thought.

When I looked it over, indeed the RH low beam was out, AND the left high beam as well. So off to O'Reilly's to pick up a complete set of bulbs for both sides...$50. (forgot about the fogs...only one of those is working) I tried to install the bulbs without removing the headlights, but as many have pointed out, it's easier to pull them than fumble with it. Three bolts and two connectors per side.

Once I got in there, I realized there was more trouble than I thought. The connector for the RH high/low beam had melted down and the wire was hanging loose. The lamp wasn't even secured in the socket, because the retainer for the clip was completely missing. The retainer for the left low/high beam had been removed and reinstalled incorrectly. No wonder that low beam was so...low. It wasn't secured either. In addition, one high beam bulb was burned out...the only one, in fact, although I think there's a problem with one of the low/high bulbs as well. The base has some corrosion on it and may not have been working.

Went to Pull a Part, got the correct pieces from a broken headlight and put it all back right.

DPO

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That is pretty much the exact state of the headlights on my '05 Optima when I bought it about 4 years ago.
I wondered why the headlights seemed to be so bad when they were projectors.
Finally did what you did and found the same issue with the retaining wire and harness.
Why do people tear up such easy things to maintain?

Once I corrected those issues the headlights were much, much better.
Not fantastic, but much better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dunno why it took me a month to find out my headlights were out, but there it is. What a mess. DPO.

I had thought of changing to LEDs, but I didn't have time to order them. I'm pretty satisfied with the premium Sylvania lamps I got. Brilliant, compared to what it was. Dam well oughta be for $50...need to spend another $20 for the fogs now. Might just get one at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts