Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just recently purchased a used 2000 sonata gls v6. Nothing majorly wrong with the car just needed some break work it also had a check engine light on. Turns out I needed an evap vent solenoid. Now those parts are not cheap and not to mention I cannot find any place in my area that has them. I reset the codes on the car and the check engine light is off and is still of after being driven for about 80 miles. But the problem is I cannot get 2 monitors to run on the car now so I can get inspected. Normally with any other car it would only take about 10 to 15 miles for monitors to run. Not sure if hyaundis are different. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not as familiar with the 2000...I had a 2002 Sonata V6 with Evap codes, kept changing parts. Drive for, oh, 100 miles or so, the CEL would come on with the Evap code. Finally gave up and kept the Evap test from running by keeping the gas tank almost full. In NYS, you can pass inspection with one monitor incomplete. So I had to get the others to run. It took FOREVER and a hair-raising "Drive Cycle" to get the last one (oxygen sensor, maybe). I followed instructions I found on-line to drive at certain speeds, for certain intervals, and also had to coast from 50MPH to a stop without using the brakes and other wacky stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Plague had to do that with the 03 outback, whipped around 607 just enough to get those to clear and set for it. Spent more on the exhaust than it cost.

Got the accent to only have 1 monitor off and good to go for another year. What are you driving now?

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
17 Posts
Not as familiar with the 2000...I had a 2002 Sonata V6 with Evap codes, kept changing parts. Drive for, oh, 100 miles or so, the CEL would come on with the Evap code. Finally gave up and kept the Evap test from running by keeping the gas tank almost full. In NYS, you can pass inspection with one monitor incomplete. So I had to get the others to run. It took FOREVER and a hair-raising "Drive Cycle" to get the last one (oxygen sensor, maybe). I followed instructions I found on-line to drive at certain speeds, for certain intervals, and also had to coast from 50MPH to a stop without using the brakes and other wacky stuff.
Wooow. I'm so glad we don't have to worry about inspection where I am.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got the accent to only have 1 monitor off and good to go for another year. What are you driving now?
After 11 years with the 2002, I wanted to get something I could carry stuff in- lumber and stuff. Kept looking at Kia Souls. I wound up buying a 2004 Sonata with a lot of aches and pains for $500. I just spent the past 10 days or so struggling to replace the power steering lines. Unfortunately, the '04 has the 2.4, so I can't use a lot of the parts from the '02 on it. I'm guessing the '04 has about 1-2 years before it starts having evap problems....I hated the MPG in the V6 but figured "Hey, it's got balls" but the 2.4 actually performs nicely. Big comedown going from digital console, power seats and full leather interior in the '02 to the Peasant Trim '04 Base. And after years of being driving into curbs by high school kids, it rides like a brick. Still, glad I don't have a car payment, 'cause now I'm furloughed from my job...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats a blessing and a curse Soon!
No car payment is what I wanted to stick too as well plague (hard times indeed man) with my recent fixings to the 2010 accent to get it inspected.
Needs new rack and pin -already blew 1 powersteering pump in the frigid cold one night after late shift..the replaced has barely a year of usage on it and its screeching like no other until going straight on the highway. (most my trips)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts