Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is finally here (well, not officially). I always look forward to the month to add mods to my E.

2016 Mods:
I only wanted to change my armrest because it broke and wanted to change simple interior lights to set a better atmosphere
- Sliding Armrest (very first time I ever 'touched' the car)
- LED interior lights (blue)

2017 Mods:
I joined this forum and started seeing the endless possibilities on this car. I then decided to make this E one and only
- K&N CAI
- Magnaflow muffler
- HID headlights
- Android Head Unit (Witson)
- Compatible backup camera for HU
- LED trunk light (I once have posted here to ask a few questions and got great results. Just never got a chance to upload the demo video)

Then, this year came. I try my best to stay simple and look stock from outside so that it won't attract too much attention. Or at least that's why I have been doing past three years. Then, i have noticed my car getting all these parking lot door dents and scratches. Although it might be just in my head but my car's colour started fading away and became much lighter than 3 years ago. I did my diligence and always washed (once a week), waxed (once every two weeks) and clay bar-ed (once a month) for past three years now (ignore winter time due to heavy snow in Vancouver lately). Aside all that, I have been wanting to wrap my roof to gloss black to make it less brown (oh yes, my car is desertbronze which is very hard to colour-coordinate). So, this year I decided to go ahead and only buy the wrap enough to wrap my roof. And this is the result...

So yeah, that didn't work that well. But also, I was too overconfident after watching only three videos of roof wrap and decided to jump in. Oh and that was done with two of my buddies who also didn't know anything about wrapping. It turns out that it is not as easy as they make it look on Youtube. Anyways, I sat down with those buddies and I (ignore the process of me reaching to this final thought) ended up ordering 12ft of Matte Nardo Grey wrap instead of the wrap for the roof. In summary, my failure of a little portion wrapping made me want to go all out and wrap my car fully. Very logical, no? My buddies tried their best to stop me from ordering it saying that I was just too emotional from my failure and it was a thoughtless purchase. They kept saying it will be cheaper (counting all my possible future mistakes) to leave it to professionals. I said **** no way I will pay 3-4 grands to not have my car for days and let it be wrapped. I made this into my this year's summer project.

I have been watching and studying the professionals for the past week taking notes and taking down the measurements of my car. My biggest challenge is workspace. As I live in an apartment with a shared garage, I have no access to power outlet for my heat gun. So, I thought I had to always ask to go to my friend's which is 20 mins drive. Knowing that whatever I do will take extra hours than it should, I was really desperate to look for other workspaces. Then, I found this place in my apartment's garage!

Then, I started ordering more wraps to meet my measurements. I currently have all the materials I need. I have the rough design of what my car should and would look like if successful. I only have maybe 12 hours a week I can invest into this without interfering my life schedule.

Here we go:

Day 1: Hood

Amazing how it took 5 hours to do this beginner-intermediate part. I was very discouraged after this and I even though of giving up. I was genuinely frustrated when I finished 80 percent of the wrapping and last 20 percent took 2 hours just to kill the wrinkles. Not to mention that when I was nearly done, I made a wrong cut and my original paint shows through seams. It still looks like that to this day.. I will wrap it again once I am done with the full wrap.

Day 2: Front Bumper

No picture because it was a complete failure. I took off the bumper thinking I would be able to do it at home. Don't ever do this if you are wrapping it. It is very unstable as bumper keeps moving. Also, I was trying to do some inlays which I failed as well. So back it goes to its place with no wrap for now.

Day 3: Side fenders

I studied a lot more after those two failures. I managed to get this done under pressure with help of my girlfriend (I know, eh? She said she likes crafts) under 3 hours. This is quite a bit for professionals but it was a major improvement for me.

Day 4: Doors & Door handles & Side mirrors

What a blast. Done in 4 hours (all my hours include prep work which is measuring and cutting the vinyls, washing the parts, claying, and wiping with alcohol). I glassed down the vinyls so much better this time which greatly reduced the time spent on fixing and spreading the wrinkles. On the same day, I wrapped the door handles with gloss black (not shown in picture)

Day 5: Roof (again) & Side trims
Day 6: Quarter panels & Back bumper
Day 7: Front bumper & Hood (if I have remains)

Before:

Oh yes, add eibach lowering springs and KYB shocks to 2018 mods!

After:

COMING SOON!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Desert Bronze is a hard color to top - as in it's a very nice elegant color. No offense, but the gray color makes the car look "cheap". But if you like it that's what matters. Looks like your getting the hang of wrapping though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Desert Bronze is a hard color to top - as in it's a very nice elegant color. No offense, but the gray color makes the car look "cheap". But if you like it that's what matters. Looks like your getting the hang of wrapping though.
I know what you are saying about grey. I did originally.m want darker grey but they ran of that color. I ended up getting this Nardo Grey after looking at this done by one of the wrappers I closely studied.

To me, this color looks more light sky blue than grey. Some people actually see it as grey too. The picture itself really doesn't do the color's justice. Thank you for your input though. More of my car surface that is covered by the new color, better it looks though!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sigh.. who knew that forum wouldn't allow simple edit to my own post?

One more day of work and got roof and quarter panel (only one side though.. haha) done. Also, gloss gas lid and door handles are very good accents to the car. More to come!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front bumper ready to be painted with gloss black!

Looking good

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say 80 percent done? Just a few things left in the rear bumper and side trims as well as wheels

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow bold choice that came out really good. Plus now the Bronze is protected as well. When it was partially done it just looked like it was in a body shop haha, but the finished product came out well. I think I know the color of the wrap you are saying, on every monitor it will look different, especially flat colors, you really need to see it with your own eyes. Also good choice going gloss black instead of flat as it matches the handles and roof etc. My 2 sents would be smoke the taillights with maybe a 20 or 35% Vinyl.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. It's funny because I heard the 'are you going to paint over this prime soon?' comment a lot as I was partially wrapping it. The tail lights are actually sitting at light smoke tint. I have extra to do the headlights so I will be working on it. As it will be very illegal here in Canada for tinted tail lights or headlights, I can't be too dark with the tint sadly :(. Already attracting quite a bit of attention from popo these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts