Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
155 Posts
I have 2020 Santa Fe SEL trim but basic 2.4 engine. When I drive like 30 mph, i feel like the engine is automatically trying to stop the speed or trying to slow down. Not stopping or slowing down but the car feels like that. Why can that be? thanks
What you're experiencing is the car working to deliver the highest MPG by running in the highest gear possible and keeping the RPM's as low as possible. This is typical for many new cars today, unfortunately, and the lack of torque at these low RPMs makes it feel like you're running out of power. Add in warmer weather and running the air conditioning and the effect is amplified even more. You need to lean into the accelerator a bit more so the transmission will downshift if you want to accelerate. This is a scenario where the 2.0 Turbo has a big advantage over the 2.4 engine. The 2.4 can make 178 ft-lb of torque but that's at 4000 RPM, whereas the 2.0T can make 260 ft-lb at only 1450 RPM, a difference of 82 ft-lb and right in the cruising RPM range, thus making it easy for the 2.0T to accelerate without needing to downshift. I'm guessing that in Comfort or Smart Mode your car will try to run between 1500-1750 RPM while cruising (though it will cruise at higher RPM while at highway speeds) which means that you'll need to get the RPMs up if you want to accelerate (by forcing the transmission to downshift). Driving in Sport mode will make the transmission hold a lower gear while cruising which will give you a torque advantage but will also lower your MPG. My previous car was a 2015 Elantra Sport that had a 2.0 liter engine that made 154 ft-lb of torque, but again this was at 4700 RPM. It cruised at that 1500-1750 range in city driving and in the warmer weather it gave that same "dead pedal" sensation you're experiencing. After a while I adapted to driving it. I just dipped into the accelerator a bit more when I needed to accelerate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What you're experiencing is the car working to deliver the highest MPG by running in the highest gear possible and keeping the RPM's as low as possible. This is typical for many new cars today, unfortunately, and the lack of torque at these low RPMs makes it feel like you're running out of power. Add in warmer weather and running the air conditioning and the effect is amplified even more. You need to lean into the accelerator a bit more so the transmission will downshift if you want to accelerate. This is a scenario where the 2.0 Turbo has a big advantage over the 2.4 engine. The 2.4 can make 178 ft-lb of torque but that's at 4000 RPM, whereas the 2.0T can make 260 ft-lb at only 1450 RPM, a difference of 82 ft-lb and right in the cruising RPM range, thus making it easy for the 2.0T to accelerate without needing to downshift. I'm guessing that in Comfort or Smart Mode your car will try to run between 1500-1750 RPM while cruising (though it will cruise at higher RPM while at highway speeds) which means that you'll need to get the RPMs up if you want to accelerate (by forcing the transmission to downshift). Driving in Sport mode will make the transmission hold a lower gear while cruising which will give you a torque advantage but will also lower your MPG. My previous car was a 2015 Elantra Sport that had a 2.0 liter engine that made 154 ft-lb of torque, but again this was at 4700 RPM. It cruised at that 1500-1750 range in city driving and in the warmer weather it gave that same "dead pedal" sensation you're experiencing. After a while I adapted to driving it. I just dipped into the accelerator a bit more when I needed to accelerate.
Oh thanks for explaining that. I didn’t much understand what you said cos I am new to Today’s new car, RPMs, engine speed etc but I now know there is a reason why I fee like it is trying itself to slow down when driving . I now know it is not due to any issues with my new Santa Fe. I was driving 2007 Camry hybrid for almost 14 years until I sold it for this new car .i didn’t feel that kinda of slowing down on my Camry although it lacked so many features my new santafe sel has. Thanks

21 - 25 of 25 Posts