Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've decided to purchase a third generation Accent hatch and was wondering the differences between 'GS' and 'SE' versions. Also, what does the 'Sport' version of them add?

If there are any changes in the suspension, what is changed and how drastic of a change is it? If it changes anything, I'm located in Canada.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The canadian "Sport" models I believe are the same as the US "SE" models

they are all 3 door hatchbacks, featured 16" alloy wheels, upgraded dampers and springs (approx 25% firmer front, 12% firmer rear from what I had read on reviews), a 1mm larger front sway bar, fog lights, quicker ratio steering rack, and manual transmission models had a B&M short throw shifter. I think those are the most important changes that youll notice.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The canadian "Sport" models I believe are the same as the US "SE" models

they are all 3 door hatchbacks, featured 16" alloy wheels, upgraded dampers and springs (approx 25% firmer front, 12% firmer rear from what I had read on reviews), a 1mm larger front sway bar, fog lights, quicker ratio steering rack, and manual transmission models had a B&M short throw shifter. I think those are the most important changes that youll notice.
Is it difficult to swap in the SE steering rack into the GS? I would love quicker steering. I would love to swap in some SE struts too. Too bad RockAuto doesn't show different model stiffness struts.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Looking at RockAuto right now I don't see any rears at all. I see tons of fronts, by like four different brands. They don't specify which model they are spec'd for.

350 Posts
Looking at RockAuto right now I don't see any rears at all. I see tons of fronts, by like four different brands. They don't specify which model they are spec'd for.
I've never seen more than one type per brand for the front. That leads me to believe that if there is another version for the SE, it's a dealer-only item.

For the rear, Rock lists KYB #348002 for the GS/GLS and KYB #348007 for the SE. They don't differentiate between car trims for the shocks by sachs or monroe.

The steering rack thing seems to be legit, I see 2 part numbers in a few different catalogs, with higher core charges on the SE version. You'd be eating that core unless you got your replacement used.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've never seen more than one type per brand for the front. That leads me to believe that if there is another version for the SE, it's a dealer-only item.

For the rear, Rock lists KYB #348002 for the GS/GLS and KYB #348007 for the SE. They don't differentiate between car trims for the shocks by sachs or monroe.

The steering rack thing seems to be legit, I see 2 part numbers in a few different catalogs, with higher core charges on the SE version. You'd be eating that core unless you got your replacement used.
Thanks for helping clarify on the strut issue. Those struts aren't listed unless I do an actual part number search. The rest on the normal list are fronts. But thank you for the part #s, that helps a lot. I wonder how much the SE struts would cost if I had to buy them from a dealership.

On the subject of steering rack, core charge aside, do you think it would be a beneficial procedure to get quicker steering? Baring in mind that the car will be on a road course. How long/difficult would it be to swap out?

350 Posts
Thanks for helping clarify on the strut issue. Those struts aren't listed unless I do an actual part number search. The rest on the normal list are fronts. But thank you for the part #s, that helps a lot. I wonder how much the SE struts would cost if I had to buy them from a dealership.
Are you looking in the right place? Fronts are listed under Suspension/Struts, rears in Suspension/Shock Absorbers, which makes sense- they aren't struts.

On the subject of steering rack, core charge aside, do you think it would be a beneficial procedure to get quicker steering? Baring in mind that the car will be on a road course. How long/difficult would it be to swap out?
I've never changed one in an accent, but most other stuff on these cars seems to drop out by undoing 2 bolts and scraping off some glue so it probably isn't that hard.

While I do enjoy making a slow car fast, I think this mod would cross the line into making a cheap car expensive unless the part came from a junkyard. I bet it would feel a little better, but I'd never bother with it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Are you looking in the right place? Fronts are listed under Suspension/Struts, rears in Suspension/Shock Absorbers, which makes sense- they aren't struts.

LoL, I totally wasn't. Amateur hour.

I've never changed one in an accent, but most other stuff on these cars seems to drop out by undoing 2 bolts and scraping off some glue so it probably isn't that hard.

While I do enjoy making a slow car fast, I think this mod would cross the line into making a cheap car expensive unless the part came from a junkyard. I bet it would feel a little better, but I'd never bother with it.
Awesome, thank you for sharing your opinion. I think i'll take your advice and pass. I think the steering will end up feeling better after I put my new wheels, tires and steering wheel on. Perhaps the wider, more performance-oriented tires will have a little more turn-in response.

Thanks for the help!

And sorry Vaszya for kind of stealing this thread.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I called the parts dept at my local dealership. After getting him to leave me alone about my VIN, he said the struts are $198ea and didn't specify GS or SE trim. So that was an annoying waste .

@omg grip, yeah that sounds like more work that it is worth.

But this strut thing sounds awesome. I would love to have adjustable Konis for my car. I don't know anything about the 'strut core insert' that's being talked about, though. It would be nice if he laid out the part # for the koni insert, and maybe a step-by-step DIY. Either way, that sounds much better than my previous plan to swap out the strut oil for a higher weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts