Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a winter tire/wheel package for my Santa Fe. I will probably downsize by one to 18x8 and these Modas look pretty good to me. Just wondering if anyone has them on their Santa Fe.

Thanks.
Rob

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Watch your state requirements. Some do not allow up sizing or downsizing from factory specs on tires and / or wheels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've never encountered that rule when changing factory wheels on any of my vehicles whether in Florida or in Texas. Seems rather Draconian to me, when a state says I can't modify my vehicle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where I am, there is a law against stuff like "donk" and "hella flush".

But that's not the case here, I bet.

Instead, watch for the rated maximum load of the wheels. The Santa Fe XL has a rated GVWR of 2 550 KG or 5 622 lbs.

If you wish to downsize, see if you can't source a set of stock 18"/7.5J Santa Fe XL wheels.

I've seen "tuner" wheels on Palisades. That's a disaster waiting to happen...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watch your state requirements. Some do not allow up sizing or downsizing from factory specs on tires and / or wheels.
Interesting. We've been running downsized for winters on a couple of vehicles for awhile now and never any compliance issues AFAIK.

Much more likely in our state is that the legislature will create a new 25% tax on aftermarket wheel/tire packages...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where I am, there is a law against stuff like "donk" and "hella flush".

But that's not the case here, I bet.

Instead, watch for the rated maximum load of the wheels. The Santa Fe XL has a rated GVWR of 2 550 KG or 5 622 lbs.

If you wish to downsize, see if you can't source a set of stock 18"/7.5J Santa Fe XL wheels.

I've seen "tuner" wheels on Palisades. That's a disaster waiting to happen...
I guess that's a good point about the load rating, but I don't see any #s published by Tire Rack, though the wheels do come up as an option for my Santa Fe.

The 18" stockers would be a good choice but I'm not crazy about the looks honestly. Maybe I'll take a look around and see if anyone has some for sale anyway.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You might want to contact Tire Rack regarding the rated load of those wheels.

If they say the wheels are good to go and it turns out that they're not, well, at least you have a written statement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts