Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So today @ 15k miles I switched to Mobil1 5w20 (bought @ Costco, 6qts for $28!). I was previously taking my car to the dealer for oil changes. All I can say is wow... the car is much smoother at higher RPMs. Can't be in my imagination because my wife noticed it... and she. doesn't. notice. much. I definitely recommend those of you on the fence to make the switch. I was hesitant since Hyundai doesn't recommend synthetic oil, but glad I tried it.

Cyrus

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi guys,

So today @ 15k miles I switched to Mobil1 5w20 (bought @ Costco, 6qts for $28!). I was previously taking my car to the dealer for oil changes. All I can say is wow... the car is much smoother at higher RPMs. Can't be in my imagination because my wife noticed it... and she. doesn't. notice. much. I definitely recommend those of you on the fence to make the switch. I was hesitant since Hyundai doesn't recommend synthetic oil, but glad I tried it.

Cyrus
Mobile 1 and a genuine Hyundai oil filter is the way to go! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi guys,

Cyrus
I had the opposite experience. I switched to Mobil 1 around 2,000 miles and my engine was 5 times noisier. Now I use Quaker State Synthetic. I'm curious, where does it say Elantra doesn't recommend synthetic?

·
22,793 Posts
If you call the Hyundai toll free number you'll get some guy that will be very explicit and tell you Hyundai does NOT recommend synthetic oil in their engines. Yeah, right. Then why do their dealers all across the country offer it to their customers as an optional benefit?

I actually called them in March 2011 with my first E and that's what the guy told me. I stopped calling them after that. Ellie Mae only had Mobil 1 5w20 in her for the 26,000+ I owned her. Purred like a kitten, ran like a scalded-butt ape!

Since Ingrid gets lifetime oil/filters every 3,750, I let them put in their Quaker State 5w20 Dino oil. It's "recommended by Hyundai," don't you know? :wink2: Whatever... and Ingrid is doing swell, too!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Good deal on the M1. You should have about 1.7 Qts left over for the next oil change too. I have been using synthetic oil since brand new.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,793 Posts
You should have about 1.7 Qts left over for the next oil change too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
With the leftover oil from that change, over time you'll eventually get a free oil change out of the deal:

I would pour in the leftover new oil from the previous change, then top it off with the oil from the new 5 quart jug. Then, I'd put that jug up and save the remaining contents for the next change, followed up by topping off with the newer jug. Before you know it, FREE oil change. All you're out is $6-8 bucks for a Hyundai filter. Now, that's what I call a bonus! Almost like a "Buy 4, get 1 Free," sale at your local auto parts store. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car only took 4 qts to register 2/3 up dipstick guide (where I like to keep it). So I have 2 full qts left over. (Basically buy 2 get 1 free!) I will make sure to buy another box of Mobil1 5w20 when I head to Costco, hopefully at the same price. And yes I use the genuine Hyundai filter as recommended here!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm getting the Castrol Edge syntec put in my GT right now as it is free from the dealer (I get 5 years of free oil changes on dino oil, 2.5 years if I go synthetic). I have noticed a small difference I believe (idling seems smoother, but this could be in my head, or due to the engine getting broken in). I keep hearing negative things in forums about the Castrol stuff, and the Mobil 1 is on my short list when I start doing these changes myself next year.

I keep hearing about certain engines liking certain oils more than others, which is why I like seeing reports like this one. Canadian Tire here often has good specials on synthetic oils (anywhere from 30% to 60% off various brands, including Mobil 1 and Royal Purple). I am trying to determine if these Elantra engines prefer one oil over another, keeping in mind that there is most likely little difference between each of them (but if I can be patient and get a 4.4l jug for $25-$30 cdn of Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc) then why not try it.

·
22,793 Posts
I keep hearing about certain engines liking certain oils more than others, which is why I like seeing reports like this one
You raise an interesting point. My comment is kind of off point, in a way, but I had always heard never to change oils. Just buy a preferred brand and stick with it. But those were days long ago. Oils have improved light years over the former century's offerings. I guess it's just a comment. Not really a question, but I'd like to know other's opinions on the subject.

Here's my expertise and knowledge on the subject of oil: There's the kind you put in your motors, the kind you cook with, and the kind you shampoo out of hair.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you look at Bob Is The Oil Guy forums, they have an 'oil change' survey and the members over there seem to use Mobil 1 most often. Its not a scientific analysis obviously but I would like to think that an 'oil enthusiast' community is fairly credible.

That said, there seems to be a lot of hate over there directed towards Castrol, stemming from some marketing stunt they pulled in the 90s that influenced what can be called a "synthetic"...seems that many of these synthetics we put in our cars is not a 'true' synthetic, and Castrol led the way in that regard, causing some confusion for folks like us. Full synthetic, synthetic, group II, III, etc, it all gets to be a bit much for me when I head over there, so I try to just use what those in the know use on their daily drivers.

The confusion around the various oils that call themselves "synthetic", that are really not, might have some bearing though on what oils are 'preferred' by an engine or not.

I have thought of posting a thread about this a few times, but the info seems to be out there but scattered throughout threads like this one. We just have to scour through them to get the info we want, and tolerate all the flaming that seems to stem from an 'oil thread'.

That said (again...), I like reports like this one for those using similar equipment as I. Mobil 1 seems to be a good choice, as the oil enthusiasts seem to like it, and users such as the OP have had good luck with it. I also like that it seems to go on sale.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yep, only a few true synthetics out there, Mobil 1, Amsoil Signature Series, Redline, Royal Purple, mostly boutique brands. However, it does appear that the new breed of so called synthetics are excellent oils. Having been an Amsoil user for years (still use some of their products) but their oil is simply overpriced and now using Shell Full Synthetic from a warehouse club. Although I ran the Amsoil 10-15,000 miles I could never get to the 25,000 they advertised, the UOA just never backed it up so now run 5000-7,500 miles intervals. Mobil 1 is excellent, still higher priced than the others out there now unless Walmart has it on sale

·
Registered
80 Posts
VW recommended 10,000 mile oil changes with synthetic oil on their TDI diesels. I did that for the 225,000 miles I had my Beetle TDI and it was still running strong when I sold it. Talk about stinky oil, whew. I used Delvac1, which is Mobil1 for diesel.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That said, there seems to be a lot of hate over there directed towards Castrol, stemming from some marketing stunt they pulled in the 90s that influenced what can be called a "synthetic"...seems that many of these synthetics we put in our cars is not a 'true' synthetic, and Castrol led the way in that regard, causing some confusion for folks like us.

The confusion around the various oils that call themselves "synthetic", that are really not, might have some bearing though on what oils are 'preferred' by an engine or not.
Now you really opened a can of worms. This controversy is not so hard to understand. It is about the definition of synthetic and includes a fight over market share, which tends to confuse the subject. Is an oil base of group IV oil of PAO the only true synthetic oil or or can different oil bases, also man made with Group V esters, also be called synthetic???

An Amsoil page has a good history lesson.

AMSOIL - What is a True Synthetic?

Also note that Mobile 1 no longer claims its base oil is a group IV PAO only.

Group 3 Base Oils

Forgot to add a link for a quick explanation of the different oil groups.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29113/base-oil-groups

·
22,793 Posts
OH, BOY...here we go again. Don't we have an oil thread for this?:shades:

·
Registered
30 Posts
M1 and a OEM Filter will provide maximum protection and performance for the longest period of time and miles of any oil IMO and based on my experience.

I was getting a little bit of valve/lifter and/or timing chain noise on cold start ups with
5W20 but now that seems to have totally disappeared. I now have 5k mi. on my LTD.

I will use M1 / 5W30 for my next oil change at 7,500 miles.
Charts indicate that 30W fits the temp range of my Mid-Atlantic area year round and should provide just a tad bit better protection.

I have no problem running either M1 product to 8K miles.
The dealer can keep their snake oil.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have asked several different dealers (service reps etc, Ford, GM, Hynudai, Nissan, Toyota) and they all say the same (except Ford, Ford is required to use the Motorcraft semi synthetic and they do) they say that they use the cheapest bulk oil they can find that meets specs, simple as that, and they have no problem saying it to your face. So, whoever is selling it the cheapest at that point in time is what you are getting with the BULK dealer oil.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have asked several different dealers (service reps etc, Ford, GM, Hynudai, Nissan, Toyota) and they all say the same (except Ford, Ford is required to use the Motorcraft semi synthetic and they do) they say that they use the cheapest bulk oil they can find that meets specs, simple as that, and they have no problem saying it to your face. So, whoever is selling it the cheapest at that point in time is what you are getting with the BULK dealer oil.
Nothing wrong with that. It only shows an understanding of oil quality. Many knowledgeable enthusiast buy what's on sale. But maybe that's what you are saying. The synthetics are more or less the same quality too with differing amounts of additives.

March 2013 - Test Results for AP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a quick question in this regard. Is recycled oil called synthetic? I know that recycled has the same characteristics whereby all the molecules are the same shape and recycled is re-refined. Used to be a great little place in Utah that recycled engine oil. I used it in a 67 Mustang with great results. (Long time ago)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts