Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As on any diesel car I've ever owned, I either disable or clean my EGR. Not had this Mk1 SF long, but went to remove the EGR at the weekend to give it a good cleaning, but I couldn't get it off. The 2 10mm side nuts were easy, but the 2 self-locking 12mm top nuts just wouldn't budge. I applied as much force as I could in the confined area but it was having none of it.

Any tips for removing them? Is it just brute force?

Any issues with running with the vacum hose blocked off? I've currently blocked it off (prior to cleaning it) and it's running nicely with no MIL.

tnx

Nik

·
Registered
843 Posts
What's your problem with an EGR system?
I suppose it keeps exhaust fumes cleaner by reducing noxious gasses.
I never took it of so I don't know about the 2 nuts, could it be they maybe are rusted solid or aren't they rusted at all?
You can check function by blocking vacuum hose or taking it off.
But it normally only activates above 2000 revs.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your problem with an EGR system?
I suppose it keeps exhaust fumes cleaner by reducing noxious gasses.
I never took it of so I don't know about the 2 nuts, could it be they maybe are rusted solid or aren't they rusted at all?
You can check function by blocking vacuum hose or taking it off.
But it normally only activates above 2000 revs.
Good luck,
Paul
Because at the expense of reducing NOX, you are increasing hydrocarbons and soot, decreasing fuel economy (only a little), increasing engine wear and oil deterioration by the acidity and soot being injected back in to the engine. Plus, in the UK, we don't have emissions testing for NOX, but we do have a smoke test.

I have blocked off the vacuum hose and performance and pickup is slightly better. Hence wanting to take it off and clean it properly.

Nik

1 - 3 of 3 Posts