Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of stories:

1. My golfing buddies were here in Florida from CA. I had just picked up my P Black 2011 SE 2 days before. One fo the guys said it looked nice but he really wasn't too impressed with Hyundais'. Anyhow, we drove to a resturant for dinner and when we finished we exited the resturant and right by the front door was a beautiful black car (not mine.) "Now there's a good looking Mercedes," the unimpressed friend said. I waited a few seconds before I pointed out it was a 2011 Black Limited.

Silence.......

2. I emailed a somewhat downsized jpg to another golfing buddy. His reply: "Nice looking" "Is a a T/L [Acura]."

'Nope. a Hyundai Sonata, I emiled back.'

Any similar stories out there.

CC in Central Florida

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had numerous people tell me that they thought the car was a Lexus, which is odd, because I don’t like how Lexus cars look – ha ha!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was picking up some food with my wife, and an elderly couple looked at my car in awe. They were closing, so wifey stayed inside, and I jumped out to get the food (engine running). The couple walked to the car, walked around it TWICE (no badges except the crooked 'H') wondering what the heck it was (or what Honda model maybe), then gave my wife a thumbs up. Many people haven't seen the Sonata yet, but am sure that's changing every day, and in a few weeks everybody will know. I bet it's going to give both the Accord and Camry a run for their money this year, which means you'll see them at every corner soon :innocent: .

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 24 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325992
I was picking up some food with my wife, and an elderly couple looked at my car in awe. They were closing, so wifey stayed inside, and I jumped out to get the food (engine running). The couple walked to the car, walked around it TWICE (no badges except the crooked 'H') wondering what the heck it was (or what Honda model maybe), then gave my wife a thumbs up.
Oh Great, getting a Thumbs Up from the Elderly now. And to think I was in awe of a 2008 Orange R/T Hemi Challenger the other day. $50K Car.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,281 Posts
Went to get a quote on tint today. Kid at the shop says "Is that a new Mercedes?" I simply pointed to the H and he immediately knew what it was. Cool part was he was probably 18 or 19.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 24 2010, 08:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325995
Oh Great, getting a Thumbs Up from the Elderly now. And to think I was in awe of a 2008 Orange R/T Hemi Challenger the other day. $50K Car.

Ahhh excuse me for being 68 years old, a Limited owner and loving the car. So lets see if I read your post correctly, elderly folks have no appreciation
for a good looking/performing vehicle no matter what the make?

quote from todays teenager "isnt technology wonderful today Grandpa? Look at all the great things we can do."
To which Grandpa responds, "sure is, we invented it."

My 67 and 72 year old cousins got a ride in my Limited a few days ago and guess what? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am old and I am authorized to be cranky!

MiamiLX, you just have a great day and watch out for us old folks in the passing lane! :banana:

Chuck

·
Registered
314 Posts
QUOTE (w9nwrwi @ May 25 2010, 08:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326099
Ahhh excuse me for being 68 years old, a Limited owner and loving the car. So lets see if I read your post correctly, elderly folks have no appreciation
for a good looking/performing vehicle no matter what the make?

quote from todays teenager "isnt technology wonderful today Grandpa? Look at all the great things we can do."
To which Grandpa responds, "sure is, we invented it."

My 67 and 72 year old cousins got a ride in my Limited a few days ago and guess what? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am old and I am authorized to be cranky!

MiamiLX, you just have a great day and watch out for us old folks in the passing lane! :banana:

Chuck
Chuck...Remember the saying ' Youth is wasted on the young'.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I thought thats why we both got Limiteds,( with the led mirror mounted turn indicators) , so that they can see us coming as we blow by them.

·
Banned
630 Posts
my sonata has been confused for a VW CC Sport and the MB CLS550...the first I take strict offense to...the second I don't mind at all (even though I don't agree with them) lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
It happens to me all the time. I often have people giving it the once over and then approaching me about the car. Then they do the walk around. Not once have I heard any complaints; all are impressed and what surprises me most is how many people know about the car and begin rattling off stats. I guess the ads are working. As far as mistaken identity, most often I hear Mercedes and Lexus however I also heard Jaguar.

I'm constantly getting compliments from friends and family members too. A couple of them keep commenting on the car each time they get in; even after they've been in it a few times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup, I have a black SE with dark windows and I keep it perfectly clean and shiny. I have had people come up and say "hey is that a new" Mercedes, Lexus and Audi.... To Funny!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think one of these days I am going to set up a hidden camera in a parking lot. I park it away from all the other cars and it's amazing how many people go out of their way to walk around it, trying to figure out what it is. People even sometimes stop in parking lots and follow me with their eyes the whole time I'm pulling out and driving away. I've driven many nicer cars, but this one gets the most attention. This must be what Bentley and Lambo drivers feel like (I'm sure they get it even more though).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had 3 people walk up to check out my car assuming it was a new BMW. I remember thinking to myself "That's rediculous", then I started noticing the recent media blitz of BMW commercials for the 5 series. I guess I really never paid any attention, but they do have some striking similarities. I guess the car's not as unique of a design as I first thought. In fact, now that I've started paying attention, I'd say they ripped off a lot of styling queues from a number of different luxury brands.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The elderly noticing the Sonata is a HUGE deal. Crown Victoria is gone and many thing the Grand Marque is close behind, so the old folk will be looking for new boats to threaten society in. At about $10k less than the Taurus, they could migrate to the Sonata. Its a bigger segment than you think, and they got that fat retirement $dough$. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ Jun 27 2010, 02:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336469
I've had 3 people walk up to check out my car assuming it was a new BMW. I remember thinking to myself "That's rediculous", then I started noticing the recent media blitz of BMW commercials for the 5 series. I guess I really never paid any attention, but they do have some striking similarities. I guess the car's not as unique of a design as I first thought. In fact, now that I've started paying attention, I'd say they ripped off a lot of styling queues from a number of different luxury brands.
I had a guy at work tell it me looks like a Lexus front, a BMW rear and a Volvo interior. I said I dont care I love all of it..LOL
I could never afford any of those cars and this one gives me the best parts of each of them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ Jun 27 2010, 01:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336557
The elderly noticing the Sonata is a HUGE deal. Crown Victoria is gone and many thing the Grand Marque is close behind, so the old folk will be looking for new boats to threaten society in. At about $10k less than the Taurus, they could migrate to the Sonata. Its a bigger segment than you think, and they got that fat retirement $dough$. ;)
The elderly have been aware of the Sonata for many years now. The times I've been at my dealer it's been nothing but seniors roaming the showroom.

And yea, the Grand Marquis is toast since the whole Mercury line is being discontinued.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts