Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2018 Elantra SE. I miss things like auto dimming rear view mirrow...alloy wheels... Rearview camera.. heated leather seats, power seats.. a 8 disk CD changer... Which is irrelevant now. Car now has 600 miles and I'm about to make my first payment... And get my first oil change.

I need options.

Can I install a 2017 rear cam and stereo LCD with no kids?
Can I source some 18 inch alloys from a sonata which are 18"?
Easiest way to add a subwoofer and amp without interfereing.. was thinking an 8" powered bazooka tube or one of those soundstream, under the seat subs??

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Not really happy with the 2018 Elantra option list;

https://www.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2018/elantra/

If I want the Limited forced to purchase that 2017 Ultimate package that I don't even want. With an SE, get a junk radio.

My son did something I have never thought about when purchasing a Chrysler minivan, he called the Chrysler executives and told them precisely what options he wanted, either sell this to me or I am going someplace else. They complied, wonder if this would work with Hyundai.

Production has really changed over the years, with computers and automation, feed the production line exactly what you want.

Of course you dealer will say this is the only way you buy the car, that is what they told my son, but he called Chrysler directly and received exactly what he wanted. Ha, can try calling Hyundai and see what they say.

They were doing this back in the 70's, recall seeing a 1970 Buick Estate Wagon for $2,900.00, but the first question the dealer asked us if we wanted tires plus a whole list of stuff, final price with all the options came to over $8,000.00!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Multiple aftermarket dimming rearview mirrors out there.
Rearview cameras too. Many aftermarket stereo headunits have camera inputs, and there are stand-alone rear cameras too.
I don't think 18" wheels from Sonata would fit. Largest Hyundai offers on Elantras is 17" (Limited trim). Most cost-effective route would be aftermarket alloy/tire combo that mimics a stock size Hyundai offers, or maybe look for used 17" from an Elantra Limited. Going to a non-stock size wheel/tire set up (like 18's) could void your warranty.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought the Value Edition because it was one of the few cars where I could get a sunroof and blind spot monitoring with cloth interior (I hate leather).

You can get an auto-dimming mirror as an accessory. It'll come with a compass and universal transceiver buttons (garage door, etc). I installed one of these in my Scion, and it was super easy.

Please don't perceive this as me bashing you, but, why did you purchase this vehicle without going for a more-optioned trim level?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree. The Value was the best bang for the buck upgrade. I do in fact miss the leather seats, but the tradeoff was the sunroof. To get the leather I'd have to go limited plus get the premium package. To much dough for a budget car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recovering credit... Wanted to get into something that I could make consistent payments. Of Al the dealers that I went to they offered the lowest apr. Everyone else wanted higher than 10%. They gave me one alot lower than everyone else.

I'll have to look for these after market items. I wasn't aware they were available. As it stands right now... I'm at 620 miles and the check engine just turned on. Has me on edge.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have no info regarding your upgrades. My SE has been rock solid mechanically, but first 7 days of ownership had a brake booster recall. Replaced quickly and nothing since. So, hopefully check engine light is nothing major.

NicholasD, I love my "junk radio". Almost perfect for my needs. One man's treasure is another man's junk. :wink:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I have no info regarding your upgrades. My SE has been rock solid mechanically, but first 7 days of ownership had a brake booster recall. Replaced quickly and nothing since. So, hopefully check engine light is nothing major.

NicholasD, I love my "junk radio". Almost perfect for my needs. One man's treasure is another man's junk. :wink:
So was my 4th vehicle, a 37 Olds with a radio, with only a 4" speaker, greatest day of my life so I could listen to WLS in Chicago. Also first car with a heater. Started to learn about electronics with four pin vacuum tubes and that Mallory vibrator cleaning the contacts for the high voltage power supply, lot has changed since then.

Guess its all relative.

Still making car payments, but to my savings account, but it seems like walking in with a handful of hundred dollars bills doesn't work anymore to get a better price, want us to buy it on time.

These things don't last forever, you know you are going to have to buy another one soon. If you don't, can't drive to work, and with potholes and road salt, doing everything in their power to wreck what you have.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Back in high school studied electronics, worked for installer of stereos, and had $3k in stereo equipment. Forty year later a simple stereo is good enough. Now simple=happy.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Home stereo sound surround speakers total to 280 pounds of weight, Sony tape deck is 70 pounds, just gathering dust, gang walks around with a cell phone with ear buds plugged into their ears.

Must have over 20 LP's those weigh a ton, can put all those on a USB stick. If your want a receiver with all the goodies on it, also get stuck with a lot of power, like 100 watts per channel that you can't even use, anything above a half a watt will shatter your windows.

Use to repair my auto radios, can't do this anymore, use chips with stock numbers, can't even get a replacement, over 100,000 to chose from, even if you could, pins are on 10 mil centers, only robots can deal with this, touch screens are definitely throwaway items.

Electronics have become a printing press operation, at my old plant, if a unit didn't pass, was pitched, not worth repairing, so just kept track of yield rates.

What astounds me is why these radios are so darn expensive, just seeing pennies inside. Class D power amplifiers are use, switch mode technology, one chip the size of a dime can handle 40 watts of output power and doesn't even require huge heat sinks. GPS chips, two of them are made by the millions around a half a buck each, but if you want GPS, some are talking thousands.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As it stands right now... I'm at 620 miles and the check engine just turned on. Has me on edge.
Have you gotten fuel in the last few days? First thing I would do is tighten your gas cap until it clicks. If you're not having any drivability issues, that is. Drive it a few days and see if it goes out on it's own. It's not a constantly monitored sensor so it may take several drive cycles to go out if related.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't think 18" wheels from Sonata would fit. Largest Hyundai offers on Elantras is 17" (Limited trim).

The Elantra Sport has 18"s. With the correct tire size the Sonata wheels will fit just fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the SE also, but I think I paid like an extra $800 for the popular package which included the rearview cam, heated mirrors, 7" display and rims, was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. You can add the steering wheel controls no problem, should be about the same for the stereo, would just need to run the wiring for the camera. I did subs, with a separate amp, took a few hours but not too difficult, I also replaced all the speakers which was also pretty easy. Because you have the standard radio, you'd be way better off tossing in an aftermarket pioneer or something with at least a 7" screen, you'll appreciate the acoustics way more (the stock unit cuts out too much low end bass). I've got 22k on the odometer and not a single issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Elantra Sport has 18"s. With the correct tire size the Sonata wheels will fit just fine.

The Sport also has IRS, whereas ours has a beam. With the different suspension setup, it may allow the Sport to run larger wheels, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I threw a set of 18's on my car and would of needed to run like 35 or 40 series tires to have clearance. Then again, they may of been 19's, I cant really remember

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The Sport also has IRS, whereas ours has a beam. With the different suspension setup, it may allow the Sport to run larger wheels, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I threw a set of 18's on my car and would of needed to run like 35 or 40 series tires to have clearance. Then again, they may of been 19's, I cant really remember

As long as they are running the same, or close overall diameter, wheel size won't matter. Sport runs a 225/40R18. Offset between the 2 are probably pretty close.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know the wheel size won't matter, but if the suspension is set up to fit 18"s, that's one thing. But under full lock on the non sport suspension set up, there may be fitment issues.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If the overall size of the tire is the same, full lock won't make any difference.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Have you gotten fuel in the last few days? First thing I would do is tighten your gas cap until it clicks. If you're not having any drivability issues, that is. Drive it a few days and see if it goes out on it's own. It's not a constantly monitored sensor so it may take several drive cycles to go out if related.
If this doesn't fix it, I'm pretty sure AutoZone offers free OBDII scans.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts