Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I am seeking a chrome moulding for a 2003 Sonata. It sits above the right rear door--on the roof system, but surrounds the window. Make sense?

So far, the only method of locating this is through Hynudai--$322---don't want to do that. Any ideas? Thanks ALH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine (Driver's side rear) came loose, and I taped it. At one point I slid something along the roof while loading, and I cut my finger so badly I thought I would have to get stitches. Perhaps an anomaly, but I would treat it with the respect due a straightrazor or linoleum knife. I meant to talk to a body shop about....gluing?...it back on, but wound up giving up on the car. If you're near upstate NY, I could probably hook you up...otherwise, I think a junkyard (or an entire parts car-think of the possibilities!) is your best bet. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks very much. I did identify a place in St Louis that has tons of cars---might find it there. ALH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello: I am seeking a chrome moulding for a 2003 Sonata. It sits above the right rear door--on the roof system, but surrounds the window. Make sense?

So far, the only method of locating this is through Hynudai--$322---don't want to do that. Any ideas? Thanks ALH
This piece came off on both sides on my 05 sonata when I had the car detailed several years ago. They tried to charge me the same price since they tried to go through the dealership but after jumping through way too many hoops they did end up paying for it. If you haven't found the part for cheaper my advice would be to try and go to a pick and pull junk yard and find one yourself. Cost a about quarter the price for both of the,.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I got my '05 Sonata last year, I visited the salvage yards frequently, picking up various pieces for the car. It was months before I realized there really was a piece of brightwork above the back doors. I'd say the majority of our cars have lost theirs. I finally found a pair of mouldings in good condition after several months of looking, but I'm waiting for good weather to glue them on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I got my '05 Sonata last year, I visited the salvage yards frequently, picking up various pieces for the car. It was months before I realized there really was a piece of brightwork above the back doors. I'd say the majority of our cars have lost theirs. I finally found a pair of mouldings in good condition after several months of looking, but I'm waiting for good weather to glue them on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2003 Sonata and lost the first driver back door metal piece above the door, it didn't come completely off so I used JB Weld to reattach it. Worked fine for about 5 years, until my brother used his spray washer on the car to wash it. Off it popped, and bent it at several places at this point. The other side had popped off and is in the middle of some road after having my car washed at the car wash. After trying to reattach the piece again I gave up and pulled it completely off and sanded down the JB Weld that was left on the car, not an easy task. As I got it to my liking I painted it black. You would never know that anything was missing as I painted the other side as well. Far better than paying $300+ for a new one. I am now dealing with an alternator issue but hope to have it fixed soon. I have to say that my Sonata is the best car I have ever had. Very few problems, it has 111,649 miles on it, except for the inside door handles, which I had changed twice. I am now however, afraid to have my car washed because when my brother used the spray washer on it the header material inside started drooping. I think it got damp, because it wasn't wet or soaked, I thought about slicing a small hole in it and spraying gorilla glue inside and spreading it around so it didn't look so bad. But I think the smell may linger and perhaps make me sleepy while driving. Any suggestions on having the header liner reattached to the top of the car?? Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used Rust-oleum flat black, Protective Enamel, oil based paint to cover where the metal pieces fell off. I also painted my windshield wipers as the paint was beginning to peel off. Just looks better. Lyn

·
Registered
4 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts