1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Clear the code ; mark the possible bad coil, then switch coils.

Theory is bad coil will cause a new cyclinder misfire on the cyclinder it is moved to.

There is a nominal ohm resistance value for a good coil; not sure of exact number, try a search. Seems to be a few posting about bad accent coils.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yeah its just a resistance test you can do on them...at least without more test equipment. specialized stuff you don't want to buy.

some parts stores will test for you and will have that equipment...not sure where in california.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ignition coils

Okay here is the details on the ignition coils. The coil packs are garbage that come stock on the car. Wat happens is due to variable tempture spikes the coil developes hairline cracks where the boot meets seem meets the coil pack, it arcs out and creates a misfire that stumble pulls the code and there you go.

the way to test it is look down the cylandar of the misfire and you will see a little spot where the spark has shorted out. You can also check under a light and you will see carbon where its been shorting out. You will eventully have to replace all the coil packs 100-129.00 ea. Im a service and engine tech here at Hyundai in Ca and Im in the process of trying to have the part recalled but as of now they will not replace if out of warrenty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hypnotic916, thanks for the info. What would you recommend as a replacement ignition coil? Hyundai dealer parts, or can one use parts from Rockauto (like Auto7, Beck/Arnley)?

See here: RockAuto Parts Catalog

·
Registered
20 Posts
so I always go with OEM. I dont buy my coil packs because its the same ones they are having problems so I went to Autozone and replaced them as they started to go out 100 bucks ea but have no problems and run my accent on the track and street pretty hard so just go for any OEM. PLEASE REMEMBER IF YOU GO CHEAP+CHEAP=CHEAP. If you can afford anything around 75-100 bucks ea then good any less might be a toss up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here with my experience. My wife bought an Accent around 60k, around 70-75k it crapped out when she was driving to work (coil pack #3) we had that pack replaced and new plugs installed. About 3-5k later, same problem different coil pack. Needless to say I went ahead and replaced the rest of them and haven't had any problems since. Around 105k now. Hopefully these ones last...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts