Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those with some experience with the body work. I purchased pre-reg Tucson (60 miles) in London and after few weeks I noticed that the bonnet is misaligned.

I took it to the dealership in Edinburgh where I live who said they can't do anything under warranty as I have to deal with the dealership I purchased it from. Anyway, I have left the car with the dealership to repair the power window motor as it had an issue and continued the discussion about the misaligned bonnet with Hyundai Support and the dealership in London while involving the dealership in Edinburgh in the conversation.

When I collected the car I found that the bonnet is in worse condition than it was before the service, someone has twisted it. Not sure if someone has attempted to align it by twisting it but it's not as it was before. Of course, the dealer in Edinburgh claims they haven't touched it.

I have arranged with the body shop to sort out the alignment but I wanted to ask those with some knowledge on the body work if the twist can be easily fixed or I will need a new bonnet at the end? I have attached the pictures before/after.

Does anyone know if this falls under the option of rejecting the car as well due to poor QA at the factory. While at the dealership I also noticed that a few other cars have the same issue but not as major as mine.

Pictures: Before/After - Google Drive

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I think the problem is the left guard. I've been in a similar situation with an older ix35 I purchased with a damaged bonnet. I was originally transfxied on it being bonnet and hinges but unless it's a huge whack the bonnet has little to no adjustment anyway. The guards on the other hand can easily be nudged and pushed out of alignment including support brackets that may be obscured from sight unless you know where to look. On my case a bo section support bracket was pushed in and made the guard alignment so bad I thought it was the bonnet since it had copped a nudge from the front.I even put brand new bonnet and hinges with no correction that's when I woke up and realised I was looking in the wrong places.

You can see clearly in the 2nd pictur the tip if the radius of the guard where it wraps around to the inner edge of teh A pillar it's about mm inboard. check the othe side you see it stops and aligns neatly wit the A pillar edge. That should open that gap up and make it about wwhat the right side has. It's could also bolted under plastic trim just behind the mirror too.

I'll see if I can find an image of the bolt locations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't a demonstrator unless I was lied to. The dealer said it hasn't been driven at all as this was my condition to take the car. According to them 60 miles was a delivery mileage which I doubt of course but then I called few other dealers who told me that everything under 150 miles is considered a delivery mileage.

The body shop also confirmed that the car definitely wasn't damaged, and they verified that the bonnet has never been touched so it's just a poor QA

·
Registered
202 Posts
The bonnet is designed to rise up at the rear if hit at the front so the bonnet hinges are a complex arrangement and the slightest misalignment will cause the outer rear corners to no longer line up with the wings. There is an adjusting screw but no information on how to use it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
@Gerard 2 what is your opinion on the twist, are those things easily fixable?
I honestly can't say. Body work is not something I'm skilled with but just having another glance at the 2 images I posted up the gap between th A pillar and the glass appears to be bigger on that side though it could be the camera angle.
For a brand new vehicle I'd be upset and if the dealership is useless honestly I'd be sending correspondence to Hyundai UK along with closeups like I snipped because nobody could rightfully dispute that how that is all looking is acceptable. I'm skeptical it left the factory like that being so obvious but who's to know. Even at dealershio level I'd expect pre-checks should pick that up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Adjusting bolt on hinge raises or lowers rear of bonnet to match guard. Clockwise down anti clockwise up. Half to one full turn usually does it.
Fenders also have play in them if you loosen bolt nearest a pillar.
My 2019 was the same on delivery. All good now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts