Hyundai Forums banner

Miles to empty goes blank below 30 miles

28K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  ssides 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this issue? My girlfriend is reporting that when her miles to empty display goes below 30 miles, two dashed horizontal lines appear. Does this happen to anyone else or could there be something wrong? thanks

#2 ·
It's something that Hyundai/Kia and probably many more do to tell your dumbass to get gas! Lol the last line on the meter also starts flashing.

#3 ·
With all due respect, that low on fuel, float sitting on bottom of travel, how is module going to figure with unknown film of fuel in bottom of tank.. likely the equivalent of the bulb TOYOTA used to put in tank and when no longer wet with fuel, the low fuel warning light illuminates on the dash (yellow gas station pump symbol)

Ideally you should have already have added fuel to the tank to keep pump submerged in fuel for cooling and lube reasons.. run a high speed pump dry and it going to eventually stop turning.

#5 ·
Agreed with the bulb, and another thing to consider is that the range numbers offered by the car are just a guide. If folks came to think that the number was absolutely accurate then you might have people breaking down for fuel with 10-15 miles left, and then complaining that their car was faulty.

#7 ·
When the counter says "35 miles remaining", humans tend to rely on the computer and feel comfortable driving 30 more miles to their next "favorite" gas station. When the dashed lines appear, humans start being stressed out and rather go to the "closest" gas station instead.

#9 ·
LOL....I'm not going to tell you how much farther you can drive, because you need to get gas you moron. Go get gas.

#14 ·
That wasn't even the question, so chill. It was just whether the dashed line appearing is normal or not. In my 08 mustang gt, it calculated down to less than 10 miles. I never took that calculation to heart but cars can "calculate" below 30. But of course you should never trust it all the way. So try rereading my OP and realize that I wasn't even asking how much further she could drive in the first place.

Thank you everyone else for confirming that the dashed lines are normal for the GT.

#17 ·
I've driven about 30 miles after the final indicator warning (although I prefer to fill mine once it gets about 1/4 full). Only to fill up with 11.5-12 gallons...discovering I had some left in the tank, after all. I could've went a bit further it appears. Not too wise, I might add.

As a general rule of thumb, I don't play guessing games with the the fuel tank indicator. I'm not so busy that I can't stop and devote 3-4 minutes for fuel. Better than spending 1-2 hours waiting on the side of the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.