Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this issue? My girlfriend is reporting that when her miles to empty display goes below 30 miles, two dashed horizontal lines appear. Does this happen to anyone else or could there be something wrong? thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's something that Hyundai/Kia and probably many more do to tell your dumbass to get gas! Lol the last line on the meter also starts flashing.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
With all due respect, that low on fuel, float sitting on bottom of travel, how is module going to figure with unknown film of fuel in bottom of tank.. likely the equivalent of the bulb TOYOTA used to put in tank and when no longer wet with fuel, the low fuel warning light illuminates on the dash (yellow gas station pump symbol)

Ideally you should have already have added fuel to the tank to keep pump submerged in fuel for cooling and lube reasons.. run a high speed pump dry and it going to eventually stop turning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! That's what I told her about the floating module that measures the gas. She insisted something was wrong but I told her that's why they say don't wait till the car is empty to get gas.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Agreed with the bulb, and another thing to consider is that the range numbers offered by the car are just a guide. If folks came to think that the number was absolutely accurate then you might have people breaking down for fuel with 10-15 miles left, and then complaining that their car was faulty.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As others have said, it is normal and just the system saying "You're reached the limits of reasonable accuracy to estimate any further - get gas!".

- Mark

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When the counter says "35 miles remaining", humans tend to rely on the computer and feel comfortable driving 30 more miles to their next "favorite" gas station. When the dashed lines appear, humans start being stressed out and rather go to the "closest" gas station instead.

·
Registered
537 Posts
When the counter says "35 miles remaining", humans tend to rely on the computer and feel comfortable driving 30 more miles to their next "favorite" gas station. When the dashed lines appear, humans start being stressed out and rather go to the "closest" gas station instead.
true..i was very comfortable in my mini cooper going down to 5 or 10, but i get nervous when the line appears on my GT

·
Registered
560 Posts
LOL....I'm not going to tell you how much farther you can drive, because you need to get gas you moron. Go get gas.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My '06 and '08 Sonata's both did the same. I haven't run either of the Elantra's that low yet to find out.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If it says 5 miles remaining and you end up running out of gas early, I am sure some idiots would try to sue Hyundai for towing fees and loss of time and some other BS.. By them not telling you it removes you pointing the finger at them when you run out of gas :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL....I'm not going to tell you how much farther you can drive, because you need to get gas you moron. Go get gas.
That wasn't even the question, so chill. It was just whether the dashed line appearing is normal or not. In my 08 mustang gt, it calculated down to less than 10 miles. I never took that calculation to heart but cars can "calculate" below 30. But of course you should never trust it all the way. So try rereading my OP and realize that I wasn't even asking how much further she could drive in the first place.

Thank you everyone else for confirming that the dashed lines are normal for the GT.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That wasn't even the question, so chill. It was just whether the dashed line appearing is normal or not. In my 08 mustang gt, it calculated down to less than 10 miles. I never took that calculation to heart but cars can "calculate" below 30. But of course you should never trust it all the way. So try rereading my OP and realize that I wasn't even asking how much further she could drive in the first place.

Thank you everyone else for confirming that the dashed lines are normal for the GT.
Hey now... pyxen is a stand up member here. I believe he was speaking from the cars point of view on a reason not to show you how many miles remain so to speak.. AKA joking around :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
The "--" indicator is noted on page 4-62 of the owner's manual. See also warnings on 4-59 re damaging catalytic converter. Saw nothing about fuel pump, though. There was a discussion here where somebody said the pump does not sit on the bottom of the tank in this car, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

·
22,788 Posts
I've driven about 30 miles after the final indicator warning (although I prefer to fill mine once it gets about 1/4 full). Only to fill up with 11.5-12 gallons...discovering I had some left in the tank, after all. I could've went a bit further it appears. Not too wise, I might add.

As a general rule of thumb, I don't play guessing games with the the fuel tank indicator. I'm not so busy that I can't stop and devote 3-4 minutes for fuel. Better than spending 1-2 hours waiting on the side of the road.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey now... pyxen is a stand up member here. I believe he was speaking from the cars point of view on a reason not to show you how many miles remain so to speak.. AKA joking around :D
Okay no worries :) Maybe I took/read it the wrong way then.

I've driven about 30 miles after the final indicator warning (although I prefer to fill mine once it gets about 1/4 full). Only to fill up with 11.5-12 gallons...discovering I had some left in the tank, after all. I could've went a bit further it appears. Not too wise, I might add.

As a general rule of thumb, I don't play guessing games with the the fuel tank indicator. I'm not so busy that I can't stop and devote 3-4 minutes for fuel. Better than spending 1-2 hours waiting on the side of the road.
Yeah that's never happened to me and never plan on it. That's gotta be so embarrassing lol Cause it's true, if you run out of gas, your pretty dumb.

This summer though driving to NC, we decided to take some back roads. And I mean back roads, where nothing is around for miles. It's surprsing to think people live out there. But we had to gauge when to get gas because it'd be 50 -80 miles till the next station. Needless to say, we stopped ahead of time. That definitely would of put a damper on vacation lol

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hit my highest of 392 miles on a tank (11.3 gallons). I got a little antsy after that.
Pretty good! One thing I wish the regular Elantra had that the GT has is the instant mpg. It's interesting to see the differences between the two when I compare my elantra to my gf's elantra GT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts