Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
One observation I've made in these stories of many reliable miles in the Santa Fe Sport and the listing of repairs and maintenance performed over the life of the vehicle, is an absence of the fuel induction/"major fuel service" which is heavily recommended at frequent intervals by Hyundai dealerships. The 3 dealerships that I've visited all recommend this every 36,000 kilometers/22,500 miles, it includes an induction cleaning of the intake, and the cost of the package is around $300. This has been discussed in other threads but I think it's noteworthy here because the 2.4 GDI and 2.0t GDI appear to be quite reliable over the long term without this constant and costly service. I still plan to get it done but not nearly as frequently as the dealer recommends, any other thoughts on this would be great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One observation I've made in these stories of many reliable miles in the Santa Fe Sport and the listing of repairs and maintenance performed over the life of the vehicle, is an absence of the fuel induction/"major fuel service" which is heavily recommended at frequent intervals by Hyundai dealerships. The 3 dealerships that I've visited all recommend this every 36,000 kilometers/22,500 miles, it includes an induction cleaning of the intake, and the cost of the package is around $300. This has been discussed in other threads but I think it's noteworthy here because the 2.4 GDI and 2.0t GDI appear to be quite reliable over the long term without this constant and costly service. I still plan to get it done but not nearly as frequently as the dealer recommends, any other thoughts on this would be great.
I had my oil changed at the dealer today and they recommended it. I only have 25k miles on my 2.0T, change the oil every 3k miles, and have used Top Tier fuel since new. I declined and will do so every time asked, unless the car starts to idles rough.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went through all of my dealer service records yesterday and found one from Sept/2013 which indicated that I declined the fuel system service at 9995 miles. My ‘13 has 64,000 miles on it and has never had this ”service” but still runs great. I use top tier gasoline and pour in a bottle of Techron every 7500 miles or so. I avoid dealers like the plague for routine service and only go back for TSBs and recalls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went through all of my dealer service records yesterday and found one from Sept/2013 which indicated that I declined the fuel system service at 9995 miles. My ‘13 has 64,000 miles on it and has never had this ”service” but still runs great. I use top tier gasoline and pour in a bottle of Techron every 7500 miles or so. I avoid dealers like the plague for routine service and only go back for TSBs and recalls.
This. Words to live by, friends. The last sentence is especially true!

·
Registered
164 Posts
In 230 000km, I never had any special treatment done either with a magic bottle or stealership treatment gimmick. The only things is I'm almost always going to Shell wich is a Top-tier fuel.

I never cleaned anything (like the throttle body, MAF, etc..), no treatment, no nothing.I'm even still on the original transmission oil and it shift exactly like when the car was new (including sliping a little from 2-3 when cold)!

I do regular oil change with synthetic oil every 6000km and I follow the maintenance guide. One reason that probably help is that I always do long travel (1-2-3hours+) for my job, never short trip where the engine doesnt get to operating temperature.I give it a little redline "rinse" every day :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kameleau, great story thank you for sharing! That is a lot of km's with no fuel system issues, and I think a key point regarding long vs. short trips and the impacts on carbon build-up. Thank you!

·
Registered
394 Posts
With the engine design, Hyundai shifted their responsibility onto the consumer with not having both port and GDI injection so they can come to the rescue with expensive induction services. If this were included in say dealer oil change, I might consider it but it is not mentioned anywhere except for "dealer may recommend additional services... etc.". There are after market sprays like Seafoam and CRC that probably also do the job but once someone gets up in mileage (or km-age), these won't do a thing to the crusties that have built up. Only thing that would work is an even more expensive wallnut media blasting.

So if you've been doing them from the getgo, I'd love to see a scope view of all the intake valves to see if it actually makes a difference vs someone like me who has never done them. I realize buildup is a problem on these engines but I find it more dangerous at this point to use the engine to flush potentially large chunks of super-hot carbon through the combustion chamber and throw them into the Cat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find this one of the more engaging discussion on this forum, and it connects to several other ongoing threads around reliability, engine recalls, and "should I buy this veihcle".

21 - 29 of 29 Posts