Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I turned off the auto-reset for fuel consuption calculator when the truck was at 10,000km, and the fuel consumption has remained at 9.7-9.8l/100km for 6,000km of distance traveled.

About a week ago, I had the truck in for an oil change, a tire rotation, and (unrelated) the creaky dash.

I filled up at Canadian Tire on Friday (where I have filled up maybe 3 times since I have purchased, due to the fuel discount at Esso) and have driven under 400km since the fill-up and service.

Now, my fuel consumption is at 10.6 - almost a full litre more per 100km!

Aside from going to Shell or Esso next time, what could be happening to have an almost 10% reduction in economy over less than 400km???

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
did you check the air pressure in your tires after rotation ? sometimes the rotation guys will just set air pressure at 32 and deflate a tire if it was higher, I run 38 psi in an attempt (mostly futile) to gain better fuel efficiency.

Also do they use winter blend gas in Canada, and it's colder which also takes it's part in reducing fuel efficiency .

also if you are using the dash calculator that might be an issue given the known inaccuracy of it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not check the air pressure - they're nitrogen filled, so I don't really want to screw that up by adding "normal" air LOL.

As far as I know, there is no difference in the fuel from the last fill up to this fill up.

I've been using the dash calculator the whole time, and while it's possibly inaccurate, it's consistent. I can't see a reason for it to start going wonky now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
ERN23: Oxygen is 78% Nitrogen - so putting in "regular air" won't harm it at all - it's one of the biggest scams that dealers/auto shops have around. You're driving around with about 20% more nitrogen in your tires then the rest of us... and paid for it.

With that aside and talking about your fuel consumption - i've noticed my milage go up a bit in the last couple of weeks... as i'm letting my car warm up a little more then normal (getting to minus temps), and as you're only 45 min away, we're experiencing the same weather...
If you're letting your car warm up/idle in the driveway before moving along - that'll help.

I highly doubt that the type of gas is going to do anything - as long as you're filling up at a reputible dealer, not a "jimmy john's gas bar" - you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
ERN23: Oxygen is 78% Nitrogen - so putting in "regular air" won't harm it at all - it's one of the biggest scams that dealers/auto shops have around. You're driving around with about 20% more nitrogen in your tires then the rest of us... and paid for it.

With that aside and talking about your fuel consumption - i've noticed my milage go up a bit in the last couple of weeks... as i'm letting my car warm up a little more then normal (getting to minus temps), and as you're only 45 min away, we're experiencing the same weather...
If you're letting your car warm up/idle in the driveway before moving along - that'll help.

I highly doubt that the type of gas is going to do anything - as long as you're filling up at a reputible dealer, not a "jimmy john's gas bar" - you should be fine.
I'm sure you meant to post "air is 78% nitrogen" - not oxygen!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't pay for the nitrogen LOL :)

I don't let it idle any more than normal - to me the only reason to idle is to warm the cabin, but with heated seats and a heated wheel, it's just much easier to push the button, put it in drive and go. My problems have arisen in the last 5 days. Surely we've had a colder 5 day spell than the past 5 consecutive days?

Cheers

·
Banned
532 Posts
You can't compare the 2 mileage amounts, the first (10,000km) has vastly different variables and specifics compared to the 400km. When you get to around 2500km you should have enough data to compare to the old.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, I don't follow you. Yes the sample sizes are not the same. However, in the last 400km, my mileage has changed significantly, enough to change my 6000km average of 9.8l/100km to 10.6l/100km.

Quick math shows that the 6% of my last 6000km driven has been screwed up enough to alter my mileage 10%.

Something isn't right :)

·
Banned
532 Posts
However are the current driving habits and % of highway vs. city the same ? IMHO and believe me one need only look at my signature, I'm no math genius but I think the sample is to small without a corrective algorithm. Good luck, I pity poor mileage because our summer blend is about the same as putting tar sand oil in our tanks, not that we don't appreciate tar sand oils.... :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Driving habits are the same - same driver, same destinations, same time of day etc. It's just confusing!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well, I've now got 22,000 km on my 2.0T - and i'm averaging 11.2L - turned off the auto-reset feature months ago...
If you're getting 10.5 or less... you're ahead of me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts