Hyundai Forums banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine is still whisper quiet, gone through Fall, Winter, and a very up/down Spring. When it does occasionally decide to creak, typically only when it's been closed and the car sitting for a few days, all it takes to fix is a single open/close cycle.
Same for my 2016...I have gone through Phoenix spring/summer/fall/spring (We really don't have winter). Notice some noise, I just open then close and the noise goes away..

·
Registered
689 Posts
having the entire roof replaced means you have to watch out for other issues later like rain water leaking if it's not set in properly. Be sure your dealer knows what they are doing as it's not a day to day regular task they do.

Perhaps they may be sending it to a bodyshop more expert in this area to do It will be good for you to know ahead of time their plan of action.

Mine will be needing the whole roof replaced. The dealer tried everything and that is the only option left. Also my headliner is stained now so not sure how their gonna fix that. Not sure how to feel which sucks because at one point in time the sunroof never made any noise and now the entire roof is being replaced.

·
Registered
221 Posts
having the entire roof replaced means you have to watch out for other issues later like rain water leaking if it's not set in properly. Be sure your dealer knows what they are doing as it's not a day to day regular task they do.

Perhaps they may be sending it to a bodyshop more expert in this area to do It will be good for you to know ahead of time their plan of action.
They said they have a glass guy who will do it. Also not sure about the headliner as well as is it has probably been pulled 5/6 times.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had my entire roof replaced around the 10000 mile mark (now close to 41K), it unfortunately did not fix or correct the issue. It did silence the roof for a few months but the issue returned and I am now waiting for the BBB to finalize my lemon law claim against Hyundai. Some other issues did happen due to my roof being replaced, both B pillars and an A pillar were damaged by the glass company and needed to be replaced. Along with the glass company leaving debris and grease all over the inside of my car, the dealership made ME PAY for a detail to clean the car.

The only good thing about the roof being replaced was that Hyundai placed their best bumper to bumper warranty on the car up to the 120K mark.

Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had my entire roof replaced around the 10000 mile mark (now close to 41K), it unfortunately did not fix or correct the issue. It did silence the roof for a few months but the issue returned and I am now waiting for the BBB to finalize my lemon law claim against Hyundai. Some other issues did happen due to my roof being replaced, both B pillars and an A pillar were damaged by the glass company and needed to be replaced. Along with the glass company leaving debris and grease all over the inside of my car, the dealership made ME PAY for a detail to clean the car.

The only good thing about the roof being replaced was that Hyundai placed their best bumper to bumper warranty on the car up to the 120K mark.

Good luck.
How did you get Hyundai to place the 120k warranty on the car? My roof is quiet but the noise appears once when the body flex's. I think what happens is the urethane from the roof rips just a little and the assembly starts to flex.

·
Registered
36 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/bigmac8183/

This is a link I created for my page on Facebook with continuous updates and new videos.

I lost my BBB arbitration meeting, due to the arbitrator refusing to watch videos and listen to recorded conversations. He said they would not be admissible in court, which I a complete lie. A lawyer I reached out to suggested we could be used as evidence to prove Hyundai used DIRTY tactics to make sure I lost my arbitration hearing.
I took my car to Wiesner Hyundai a week before my meeting, their master tech determined that my roof needed to be replaced for a second time. When they called the DPSM he refused and suddenly everyone’s attitude in the dealership changed. They refused to provide me with proof that the roof was defective and documentation that they even worked on the car. I was asked to leave the dealership and provided no documentation that they even worked on the car. Within Texas law I recorded the conversation between me and Hyundai’s DSPM and in that conversation, he confirmed that the dealership did confirm that the roof was defective, but since I am in arbitration that are not willing to fix the roof.
I once respected Hyundai, but that respect has been lost. I emailed Hyundai corporate and they shot me down for assistance after I lost my case, but now since I have threatened to attain a lawyer they was to reopen my case.

·
Registered
689 Posts
did you happen to try DIY'ing with waterproof WD40 silicon lube that some folks did? If it works then it will surely save you lots of stress and time with them. They clearly are purposely making it hard for you.

I just watched your videos. Is it that ticking, or rain drop-like sound you are describing as the sound from the roof?

I complained to Hyundai Corp about the roof and there lack of quality product that they advertised.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The video doesn't really do the noise justice, but yes it is the clicking and rain drop sound. 95% of the time I have the sunshade closed to drown out the noise.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Mine is still whisper quiet, gone through Fall, Winter, and a very up/down Spring. When it does occasionally decide to creak, typically only when it's been closed and the car sitting for a few days, all it takes to fix is a single open/close cycle.
you can't state "Mine is whisper quiet" and then in the very next sentence state "When it occasionally decides to creak"!!!:puzzled:
Mine is totally silent...until I decide to drive the car...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
you can't state "Mine is whisper quiet" and then in the very next sentence state "When it occasionally decides to creak"!!!:puzzled:
Mine is totally silent...until I decide to drive the car...:thumbsup:
When it's quiet 98% of the time, I consider that more than adequate. Especially when you consider that prior to the repair, it was noisy 98% of the time.

·
Registered
'15 LF 2.0T Limited
23 Posts
Here is a copy of the work order from last week. The third part listed is the one I was told is brand new for the 2017 Sonata, and the service department needed to wait for a P/N they could order against since it wasn't officially for the 2015.

Fast forward 8 days and all is still quiet, save for the occasional sounds that come from aggressive cornering causing some body roll. But even then, the noise is maybe 0.5/10.
Thank you for posting, I'm just replying so I know what to go back too whenever I get my car out the dealership due to engine replacement. My sunroof creaks at the slightest of movement and it's the most annoying thing!

·
Registered
2019 Sonata Sport 2.4L GDI
348 Posts
This was one of many reasons why I choose to get the Sport model instead of the Limited Turbo. I wanted a conventional sunroof instead of the panoramic. My 15 Sonata with the panoramic sunroof would make lots of annoying creaking sounds. My 19 Sonata with the conventional sunroof has never made one sound.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts