Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hay I also get that grunting sound too after I apply it on and open/close roof. You'd think the lube would be the last thing that would cause grunt sounds but i've notice it too.

I'm thinking a silicone grease would last longer, but I was unable to find such a product in my local hardware stores. I'll stick to this spray for the meantime as it's cheap and will last for many applications.
Look for O-RING Lube.. It is Silicone Grease and should be available @ Big Box HW and I know you are up north, so it may not apply, but Swimming Pool Supply Stores carry that as well..
Super Lube 3 oz. Tube Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon (PTFE)-92003 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
406 Posts
Look for O-RING Lube.. It is Silicone Grease and should be available @ Big Box HW and I know you are up north, so it may not apply, but Swimming Pool Supply Stores carry that as well..
Super Lube 3 oz. Tube Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon (PTFE)-92003 - The Home Depot
I actually have a lot of that for the pools pump basket lid o-rings. Can't believe I never thought to use that. Thanks for the suggestion. So far the silicone spray is still keeping it quiet. Will remember to use the O ring lube when it starts to make noise again. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok so I used some silicone penetrating lube on the seals and I must have got some in the track. Now every time you open or close the roof is squeals like a pig. I saw there was WL in the track and a fair amount of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
689 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much about the squealing, i get it too after applying the silicone whether or not I use a little, or a lot.

Ok so I used some silicone penetrating lube on the seals and I must have got some in the track. Now every time you open or close the roof is squeals like a pig. I saw there was WL in the track and a fair amount of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got myself some Dupont Krytox Performance Lubricant. After applying it all around the seals it actually made a night and day difference. Now to see how long it lasts before the creaking comes back.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well after a few weeks and going through two washes and lastnight rain storm I did notice an occasional sleek on my drive this morning. So the silicone did help but didn't last as long as I'd hoped. This time around I will use some o ring lube that I use on the pool pump. Hopefully it'll last a lot longer. Not that I'm complaining as my poor car had to be outside all the time so nothing will last as long as one that is garaged.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Well after a few weeks and going through two washes and lastnight rain storm I did notice an occasional sleek on my drive this morning. So the silicone did help but didn't last as long as I'd hoped. This time around I will use some o ring lube that I use on the pool pump. Hopefully it'll last a lot longer. Not that I'm complaining as my poor car had to be outside all the time so nothing will last as long as one that is garaged.

My car is outdoor as well. I'll keep the o ring lube in mind should the creaks return.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Attached is the YouTube video of my roof.

https://youtu.be/t5-piwXTjls

Nothing about this is normal.. The dealership puts some lube on it every so often for the sound to go away for about 500 miles, but it always comes back.

Side note they have already replaced roof with a new model roof.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Attached is the YouTube video of my roof.

https://youtu.be/t5-piwXTjls

Nothing about this is normal.. The dealership puts some lube on it every so often for the sound to go away for about 500 miles, but it always comes back.

Side note they have already replaced roof with a new model roof.

WOW! That is definitely excessive. I would go batshit crazy if mine made that much racket. Only time it is ever really bad is on severely rough pavement, and I tend to avoid those kind of road. Even then it is still never like yours. I can't imagine what is going on if it still does this after an entirely new roof.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Were you driving on gravel or rocky pavement while recording that!!!???

That is excessive. It sounds like metal parts rubbing against each other. While the creaking on mine is more like annoying rubber sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
The level of frustration I have had to deal with is not worth the price of the car. I purchased my car Jan 2016 and noticed within a few days the roof was creaking. I returned to the dealership and they stated that the car was having some growing pains and the creaking would eventually go away. At 1800 miles I returned to the dealership now with an annoying rattle and creaking noise. The dealership took the car for 2 days, but did not know how to fix the problem. They said Hyundai was working on a solution. A few weeks later after several visits they said they had a fix (2nd official dealership visit), to drop the car off and they would fix the roof in about an hour. Their idea of fixing the roof was to put lube and grease all over the roof, headliner, leather seats, and arm rest. This did not fix the issue at all. It made matters worse and they didn't even bother to clean the car after getting grease everywhere. In April I issued a formal complaint with Hyundai Corp which went ignored. In June I issued a 2nd complaint warning of a lemon law violation. It took a few weeks and me calling every single day but they called back and agreed to replace my entire roof. This process took a week (3rd visit) and seemed to fix the problem for a few months. Two weeks ago my car was at the dealership for a 4th time and once again the dealership just greased up the rails again and claimed it was fixed. I complained to Hyundai once again that the rattle is still present, so yesterday they had an engineer go to the dealership to check out the car. If he determined the rattle was still present Hyundai stated they would but the car back, yet low and behold he couldn't hear the rattle at all. He claimed no noise is coming from the roof at all..

Here is the video proof taken right after I picked my car up he is lying..

https://youtu.be/kmwa93mSuog

What are your thoughts? I have already requested the BBB get involved. Can you hear the rattle? The popcorn sound after the 2 minute mark?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The level of frustration I have had to deal with is not worth the price of the car. I purchased my car Jan 2016 and noticed within a few days the roof was creaking. I returned to the dealership and they stated that the car was having some growing pains and the creaking would eventually go away. At 1800 miles I returned to the dealership now with an annoying rattle and creaking noise. The dealership took the car for 2 days, but did not know how to fix the problem. They said Hyundai was working on a solution. A few weeks later after several visits they said they had a fix (2nd official dealership visit), to drop the car off and they would fix the roof in about an hour. Their idea of fixing the roof was to put lube and grease all over the roof, headliner, leather seats, and arm rest. This did not fix the issue at all. It made matters worse and they didn't even bother to clean the car after getting grease everywhere. In April I issued a formal complaint with Hyundai Corp which went ignored. In June I issued a 2nd complaint warning of a lemon law violation. It took a few weeks and me calling every single day but they called back and agreed to replace my entire roof. This process took a week (3rd visit) and seemed to fix the problem for a few months. Two weeks ago my car was at the dealership for a 4th time and once again the dealership just greased up the rails again and claimed it was fixed. I complained to Hyundai once again that the rattle is still present, so yesterday they had an engineer go to the dealership to check out the car. If he determined the rattle was still present Hyundai stated they would but the car back, yet low and behold he couldn't hear the rattle at all. He claimed no noise is coming from the roof at all..

Here is the video proof taken right after I picked my car up he is lying..

https://youtu.be/kmwa93mSuog

What are your thoughts? I have already requested the BBB get involved. Can you hear the rattle? The popcorn sound after the 2 minute mark?
I would get a Certified Auto Mechanic to Certify your complaint. Then initiate a Lemon Law. Check with your local TV stations for Consumer Advocate. They will call Hyundai on your behalf, and the Dealer/MFG hate negative publicity.

Just a few ideas. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We just went through some wicked temperature swings, with rain, snow, and sun. Since the seals were replaced with the 2017 parts, my roof is still silent and creak-free.
I just started to hear the creaking... very minor. Since I don't do oil changes at the dealer, will try the WD-40 spray recommended here first. If it works for a few months at a time that's ok with me... if it only last a few days... yeah.. I'll try the dealer option. :)

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just started to hear the creaking... very minor. Since I don't do oil changes at the dealer, will try the WD-40 spray recommended here first. If it works for a few months at a time that's ok with me... if it only last a few days... yeah.. I'll try the dealer option. :)

Thanks for the update.
Using WD-40 will work temporarily but it won't last long from personal experience. Liquid wrench spray silicone has worked wonders on mine. I barely press the button and apply it lightly all around the seal with the roof closed. It comes out the straw almost like a white foam and immediately turns to liquid and I just let it soak down in between the seals and wipe off any splatters off the glass.
It last for about a month before I notice any creaking noise come back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Alright, I'll see what the hardware store has. Mine isn't to bad really, but I hear a few sounds from it and just want to get it part of my standard maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So far my WD40 waterproof silicone has lasted 2 months so far. As mentioned, the last time I did it, I applied it on the left and right sides of the moonroof itself (the black plastic), rather than spraying on the rubber seals.

That seemed to have made it last longer for me. I applied using a cotton ball rather than spraying directly and that might be another contributing factor that helped it last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I keep reading about creaking noises on the panoramic sunroofs.. does anyone hear a squeaking sound? I drive a '15 sonata 2.0t limited, and my pano sunroof seems to have evolved from a creak into a full-on squeaking. ALL. THE. TIME. If the ground is uneven, squeak. If there are bumps in the road, squeak. Whenever I drive into a plaza or parking lot, squeak. Literally squeaking all the time and it's driving me nuts (although I have noticed that it will creak when the weather is below 50 degrees). I've taken my car to the dealership a couple of times for various problems including the squeak, and every time they tell me that they've addressed the issue and fixed it. LIES. The last time I took it in, the cabin was quiet for 5 minutes until I got on the freeway. Then the squeak came back in full force. Is lubricant the only fix that we have for now?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Silicone Lube is the best thing to try first . You just have to find the sweet spot making the noise. Unless you want dealership to rip apart your whole roof to replace. You'll see and hear another guy few posts up ended up with worse results after dealership replaced.

Think of this, how many glass panoramic roofs do you think your dealer has experience replacing? Probably not enough to give you peace of mind.

I keep reading about creaking noises on the panoramic sunroofs.. does anyone hear a squeaking sound? I drive a '15 sonata 2.0t limited, and my pano sunroof seems to have evolved from a creak into a full-on squeaking. ALL. THE. TIME. If the ground is uneven, squeak. If there are bumps in the road, squeak. Whenever I drive into a plaza or parking lot, squeak. Literally squeaking all the time and it's driving me nuts (although I have noticed that it will creak when the weather is below 50 degrees). I've taken my car to the dealership a couple of times for various problems including the squeak, and every time they tell me that they've addressed the issue and fixed it. LIES. The last time I took it in, the cabin was quiet for 5 minutes until I got on the freeway. Then the squeak came back in full force. Is lubricant the only fix that we have for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 155 Posts