Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm kind of new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone knew about the (MIL) in a 2000 Accent. It came on friday night and when I drove this morning it went out. Has anyone had this problem? I was also wondering if anyone knew if there is a diagnostics plug-in so I could check it myself. I've been thinking, sense it went out, could be a faulty oxygen sensor?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by yanks_1549@Nov 8 2004, 06:20 PM
Hey, I'm kind of new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone knew about the (MIL) in a 2000 Accent.  It came on friday night and when I drove this morning it went out.  Has anyone had this problem? I was also wondering if anyone knew if there is a diagnostics plug-in so I could check it myself.  I've been thinking, sense it went out, could be a faulty oxygen sensor?
[snapback]2467[/snapback]​

Hi!.......any Hyundai Dealership can read your stored fault-codes & I believe Autozone branches will do it for free!.
Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can tell you how to check for data trouble codes if you like.

On your diagnostics plug underneath your under dash cowling, you will see a rhombus shaped plug with two rows of pins in it.

Pin numbers go from left to right, with the wide part of the plug being the top
Left side \_-_/ Right side

The top row (wide row) pin numbers range from 1-8 and the bottom row (shorter row) pin numbers range from 9-16.

You must bridge pin numbers 15(which is on the bottom row) with pin number 4(which is on the top row)
These terminals need to be bridged for between 2.5 and 7 seconds, after the ignition has been turned on. Once the engine light begins to flash you can remove the bridging wire.
Your engine light (MIL) will now begin to flash.
The amount of times it flashes in dicates a number.
For example, if the light flashes 4 times followed by a short pause, then followed by another 3 flashes, followed by a short pause, then followed by 2 flashes followed by a short pause, then followed with 1 flash, then a pause before it repeats the code again, indicates that the code stored in the system is 4321, which can be diagnosed using the workshop manual, which I happen to have.
Once you have written down the code, then bridge the terminals again to give the next code, if the next code is 3333, then you have no more codes in the ECU.
If your first code is 4444, then you have no codes to begin with.

Note: I will not be held responsible for anyone who tries this themselves and as a result causes damage to their ECU. This should be left up to the professionals, however can be useful to anybody if the procedure is carried out correctly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa! Now that's what I call useful. STICKY, STICKY, STICKY, STICKY, STICKY, STICKY, STICKY, STICKY, STICKY! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
HMMMMMM, that is new to me, must check this out.
There is no reference of terminal 15 in the ETM (SD 38)
#4 = sensor ground, #15 = ????????????????

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by jeremythewicked@Nov 9 2004, 08:24 AM
MIL lights that go on, go off.

My experience says : O2 sensor is thinking about dying.
[snapback]2507[/snapback]​

MIL comes on for all sorts of reasons

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like after you install a new intake, and don't reset the ecu.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi everyone!

Whilst MIL is probably the correct terminology for these warning lights, on many forums they are known as CEL`s (check engine lights).........just trying to avoid confusion, as you are likely to see the latter far more often, BUT IT`S THE SAME THING!.

Cheers,
Nick. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
There does not appear to be any connectors under #15 for a 2000 base model accent. Is there something that I am missing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You won't know until you get the code. If it is a P0133, take a look at flex pipe before replacing MAF and/or Oxygen Sensor. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the bill. Live and learn or not perhaps. Those CEL codes are far less than specific. Check for any leaks in the air system. The CEL is an emissions issue. Check hoses etc. for leaks and, of course, the ubiquitous gas cap deal. Had my mechanic swap out MAF and O2 sensor only to have to put a new piece of flex in. By the by - flex piping is cheap but the whole unit is $150 and $150 labor form Hyundai. Your call. My point being is don't rely on the CEL for a diagnosis. There is a newer scanning tool that is more precise but your eyes can save you some trouble. Take a look at your flex pipe and air filter assembly. If it looks real hurting, you can swap it out cheaply (just the flex portion of the pipe or the tubing). Then you can weld it or clamp it or (I'm out of my league) fix it in some manner and pay $10 parts instead of $150. That is my experience. Hope you don't have to do the "Old Lady that swallowed the spider to kill the fly deal." To be truthful, it was a Hyundai dealership that recommended replacing the flex pipe from the get go. Getting them to do it was the problem. They jerked me around for 3 days and called me Friday night at 6PM to tell me that the car hadn't even been looked at yet. Then the next morning they put it on a lift and without any diagnostics tell me it's the flex pipe. I was real sceptical. My mechanic swapped it out gratis since the code indicated the 1st sensor before the cat and I still don't know why that one would go off but not the one after it if there was an anomaly. Anyway - hope you spend $10 and not $400 and a valuable learning experience concerning CELs - they could mean a lot of things but definitely man something needs to be tended to in the not too distant future. Wishing you well. As said, Auto Zone or any dealer or mechanic should have a basic code reader that will give you some idea of what you might be dealing with and it takes about 2 seconds to do so. That's a starting point but take a look around and check out your pipe and then do a google search or whatever to find people with similar code problems but, as stated above, the codes can mean many things - the same code could go off for more than one reason. It is not an exact science but certainly should be at this point in the game. I'm sure Maseratti has a better diagnostic interface but I doubt you'd be swapping out anything on one of them if you owned them. Saw the new 4 door - jet black the other day. I can't see paying over $30,000 for an automobile except possibly the new Corvette however, the Maseratti is almost a piece of artwork (super fine). There I go - dreaming again. Where's Walter Mitty when you need him? If you understood that then you're an cranky old **** like myself. Peace and good luck with your car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What would happen if you wrap heavy aluminum foil a half dozen times around the flex pipe area and hold in place with large worm drive clamps???

tr :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
What would happen if you wrap heavy aluminum foil a half dozen times around the flex pipe area and hold in place with large worm drive clamps???

I have no idea. Please elighten us by providing us with all the details on how it works on your car. Since it's heavy duty aluminum foil you might be able to do an Eminem "Shove a Gerbil Up Your **** through a Tube" as an added bonus.

:grin:

·
Registered
397 Posts
It was a thought.

I remember years ago I fixed my broken tail pipe with an empty beer can and 2 worm drive clamps. I felt real good about that. After that I noticed my car had a temptation to slow down near any Gin Mill in the area.

I got a question:

Would a car fail inspection if it had a leak in the flex-pipe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm no expert but it probably would trigger the CEL and since they do inspections in my State with a reader that they plug in, any anomaly would show up. As to how bad the flex has to be before you would get a CEL, I would defer to a senior member. I'm a novice but have had the car for 6+ years and can give my experience with it. As to Motor Vehicles, in FLA you can drive a car running on tar and in the Northeast they even have particulate allotments. Dependds where you are and what your state or territory uses to test it. If it is a state that uses OBDII, you need to be compliant to pass. If it is not, it may not pick up anything on the emissions guage in the tailpipe deal when they run through your gears in the device that lets tires run and keeps car stationery. Theoretically, you can go to Auto Zone and have them turn off the CEL and then go in and give it a whirl but it is to your advantage to fix it because your car will burn too much fuel and I think we can all agree on that not being a good idea. So the best answer I can give you is that it depends on what emissions requirements are in your particular state or country. Didn't mean to blast you but I just got the news that more people voted for American Idol than in the presidential election. And they wonder why we're going to **** in a handbasket? Frankly, I find nothing surprising these days. All the best Tommy.... :57:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Oedipus:

Notice you're from NYC.

I was born a raised in LIC, where in NYC are you? Manhattan, Bronx...

·
Registered
397 Posts
WOW -- Free TV FREE TV!

Get the rabbit ears out.................................again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts