Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as a few of you may know, I installed an OEM black grille this past weekend. Instead of just posting multiple threads about everything going on with my ride why not just make one thread and show you all the progress over time.

These threads are popular on a lot of other major car forums and I'm not sure if any of these exsist yet here on the Hyundai Forum but anyway ....

My name is Mike, I'm from RI. I bought my car back in June and since then its been nothing but a great time. I traded in my '04 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L and it was bittersweet but I love the Sonata.

Enough of that sensitive stuff .... ONTO THE PICS!

Mods as of 10/28/13 ...

• Debadged
  • 8000K low beam and fog lights HIDs
  • Cree LED reverse lights
  • 921 LED license bulbs
  • 6000K LED interior bulbs
  • Black OEM grille
  • LED turn signals (Front, amber & Rear, red)
  • Luminics yellow bulb (high beam)
  • 35% tint & 50% on the windshield
The day I bought it and traded it in ... my dad had to get in the pic haha :rolleyes:

Next day, LED plate and reverse ... No reverse pics

Next week, first wash, 35% tint, and debadged

Random photoshoot with my buddy and his 2014 Mazda 6

50% on the windshield

Finally, the black grille from this past weekend

So that's all I have for now but until next time and thanks for looking! :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nice mods! Can you post a pic of the hids on at night

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking good!
Thank you :D

Hey Mike, where did you get the following?
Hids, interior lights, license plate lights, reverse lights?
HIDs: Hyundai Sonata HID Xenon Headlight Package Deal

Interior lights: Hyundai Sonata LED Interior Package

License plate: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | Wedge Bulbs | Specialty & Automotive | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs

Reverse lights: CREE 5W High Power SMD 921 194 2825 W5W LED Bulbs - powered by CREE Q5 LED

I'll see if I can get a pic of them tonight.

·
Registered
726 Posts
looks great! I thought of doing my windshield like that, but worry about getting pulled over.
I've had windshields tinted with 35% since 2007-8 and have never been stopped for the windshield....the rest of the windows is a different story.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks great! I thought of doing my windshield like that, but worry about getting pulled over.
Its honestly not that bad. It all depends on what your other windows are tinted at. Since my are at 35%, you can still see a figure instead the vehicle so that doesn't seem blacked out from the outside.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a quick pic I took while I was stopped at a red light the other day.

The light isn't actually as blue as it seems and visibility is completely fine ..... for me anyway even with the tinted windshield.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Mike for the info!

By the way i dont know how the laws are in RI, but here in IN they warned me about tinting my winshield. Guy said he could do it without a receipt, but just know if i got into a car accident and my insurance discovered the windshield was tinted, i would have a hard time getting them to cover or replace my vehicle if it got totaled.

Don't know if that is 100% true, but i did not want to risk it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that the Lug Nut size M12 x 1.5. I recently purchased 16 pcs. last week for my winter rims.
Thank you!! Now I can buy the next piece to the puzzle!

Thanks Mike for the info!

By the way i dont know how the laws are in RI, but here in IN they warned me about tinting my winshield. Guy said he could do it without a receipt, but just know if i got into a car accident and my insurance discovered the windshield was tinted, i would have a hard time getting them to cover or replace my vehicle if it got totaled.

Don't know if that is 100% true, but i did not want to risk it.
Eh, I'll roll with it for now and see what happens. Thanks for the concern though!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohhh haiiiii

Just some minor updates. I installed a set of aftermarket tail lights that I scooped off of eBay for a great price last week. I also installed a LED strip in my trunk.

Also to be honest, these pics do NOT do these mods justice. The tail lights look amazing in person and the LED strip is not as blue as it depicts ughhhh oh well ....

Until next time!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I gotta say Mike. I like the LED strip in the trunk. Much brighter in there.. I just might have to do this after I build my custom box for my sub and amp..

EDIT: where did you tie in the lights to the electrical at? and did you use anything to keep the electrical system safe? I know that LED don't draw much power and shouldn't be an issue, but better safe then sorry I always say..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gotta say Mike. I like the LED strip in the trunk. Much brighter in there.. I just might have to do this after I build my custom box for my sub and amp..

EDIT: where did you tie in the lights to the electrical at? and did you use anything to keep the electrical system safe? I know that LED don't draw much power and shouldn't be an issue, but better safe then sorry I always say..
Believe it or not, I removed the bulb from the housing and soldered the wires to their designated connectors. After I put electrical tape around them just to protect it. It's been the there for over a week now with no problems at all.

I've used this method on a few cars and haven't ever had any issues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Believe it or not, I removed the bulb from the housing and soldered the wires to their designated connectors. After I put electrical tape around them just to protect it. It's been the there for over a week now with no problems at all.

I've used this method on a few cars and haven't ever had any issues.
so you solder the wire inside the connector point? why not get an adapter for the connector ans solder the wire to that. in case there is an electrical issues then your warranty is still good..

·
Registered
336 Posts
they make "dummy" bulbs you can place in the light socket, but the LED draw alot less power than the stock light that goes there anyway. he should be fine.

Looks great BTW

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey Mike, Were are you from in RI ,i'm on the border in CT always looking for people to help mod and hang talk cars etc... I've been in the hyundai scene for ten yrs now .

and too bad i didn't this thred earlier you could have had my grill for free lol i'll keep an eye out for your YF as I'm always all over NE

1 - 20 of 53 Posts