Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, especially UK based owners,

I've joined your forum just to ask this question:

I really want to buy a Santa Fe (a used post '07 model) but for one glitch: the gap between the middle seat belt clips is too narrow on the models I've seen. I don't see how anyone could use it. I need it for kids/car seats. Recessing the belt clips neatly into the seat seems to make it impossible to do anything about it.

Is there any way round this that you know of? Can you pull the clips further out so you can move them more to the side a bit? Or could you replace them with a longer stretching belt at the bottom of the clip to do the same thing?
The odd this is that the Tucson has wider spaced middle seat belt clips and these are on a much longer belt too so can take middle passengers (including kids in seats).

Seeing as this is the only thing holding me back from getting a Santa Fe, I thought I'd ask you lovely owners for any advice before dismissing it.

Thank you for reading this.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

I don't have kids and I very rarely carry passengers so I put myself in the center rear position for the first (and probably last time) so I could shoot this picture for you. I'm not what you'd call skinny but I'm not fat, either....right around 6' even and I think two more adults could fit back there with me for a short journey without much complaint.

And yes that is a DeLorean Motor Company T-shirt I'm wearing. I don't have one yet but I've wanted one for almost ten years now. Someday I will have one. :grin:
[attachment=20943:IMG_6214.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
This answer is based primarily on North American models as I don't know if European models have UAS (Canada) or LATCH (US) anchor points, but the answer may help in any case.

May also help with the knowledge base here for future similar questions so here goes...

First of all, check the owner's manual to see if the manufacturer allows a child restraint in the center rear position. Many manufacturers do not recommend an install in that position, in particular when the rear seat is a split folding type.

UAS (LATCH) anchors have been required on Canadian models since September 2002. They are the little bars that protrude out a bit in the seat cusp area. They are usually marked with a button or emblem on the seat back to mark their location as well. If your child seats have a UAS or LATCH belt for connection, typically the seat belt is not used for the child restraint install so the locations of the seat belt buckles becomes irrelevant. It is very important to check the owner's manual for both the vehicle AND the child restraint.

If European models do not have UAS or LATCH or some other similar system, the seat belt would be used. It then typically becomes a matter of do all the child restraints physically fit on the rear seat. If you have rear facing seat for infants/toddlers that uses a base, plus 2 other child restraints, it can be a very difficult task getting them installed. Having said errrr written that, I have assisted parents in getting 3 seats across the back seat of vehicles smaller than the SF.

Good luck, you can message me privately if you have specific questions applicable to your scenario.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both Andrew and Haith for you quick replies and warm welcome.

Thanks Andrew for going to the trouble of picturing yourself! I'm also over 6 foot, so it's good to know it is possible.

Haith, we do have Latch over here in the UK, or equivalent. (We call it Isofix). Do you know if the Santa Fe has a Latch point for the middle seat as well as the outside two which I assume it has? That would be a complete solution if it did.

Thank you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just went and checked mine, which is a 2010 AWD Sport model for Canada build. There is no UAS (Latch, Isofix) in the center rear.
This is not unusual especially in split and/or folding rear seat configurations.
The UAS anchor points are at the two outboard positions only.

So this would typically mean using the seat belt for the center rear position provided the owner's manual says it's ok to put a child restraint in that position.

How many kids do you have, are any under 1 yr old (rear facing), any in booster seat etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't - yet - have 3 kids. I've got one in a forward facing seat, one in a backward facing one (i.e. under one year old). What I am wondering is whether it is possible to get a car seat in the middle seat in a Santa Fe at all? My wife is muttering about having another child and I don't want to get the car and find out it can't take three. So many new cars seem to have a very narrow gap between middle seat belt clips, meaning you can't put even thinner carseats or booster seats there.

I'm guessing that if you use Latch/Isofix for the two outside seats, that still leaves you with the problem of needing to use a seat belt in the one area where that is most problematic: the narrow middle seat.

For easy access, I imagine you put the two younger kids on the outside and the older one can climb into the booster seat in the middle. Booster seats can be narrower which is great but I measure the between-clip gap as 23.5cm/9 inches on a showroom model. That's ridiculous!

Any insights?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Bootboy - I've tried and you won't get 3 childseats on the rear bench of a 5 seat SF. The middle belt is also shorter, so even if you could squeeze a booster in, you may then have issues securing the seat/kid. A 7 seater is an option, but the room in the back is limited and lifting the middle row of seats for access would be frustrating with fitted child seats.

Unfortunately with 3 young kiddies you may be looking at other cars.

·
Registered
315 Posts
QUOTE (sbis @ Nov 1 2010, 07:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367878
Hi Bootboy - I've tried and you won't get 3 childseats on the rear bench of a 5 seat SF. The middle belt is also shorter, so even if you could squeeze a booster in, you may then have issues securing the seat/kid. A 7 seater is an option, but the room in the back is limited and lifting the middle row of seats for access would be frustrating with fitted child seats.

Unfortunately with 3 young kiddies you may be looking at other cars.
Or adoption??.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ha ha, was going to suggest that but thought better of it!

As a Dad of a 6 week old, I'm not convinced about a second let alone a THIRD!

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a bit of a symptom of the times. Vehicles are getting smaller and space is decreasing, while at the same time, the child restraint manufacturers are having to produce larger (more weight capacity....bigger kids) seats.

Keep in mind that a booster uses the vehicle's seat belt to secure the child. In few models, the booster itself can be secured to the vehicle using UAS etc....but space would be VERY tight in that rear seat in the scenario you describe. I fear you may be heading to mini-van land

1 - 10 of 10 Posts