Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Troops
I recently bought a 2006 sonata with the 2.4 & automatic. it has 56k miles but is out of warranty(CDN). A lot of times at 50 mph it has a very noticeable surge where the car is not sure what gear it wants to be in(feels like torque converter locking & unlocking)
. At 60 mph plus it,s fine & the tranny shifts smoothly. The fluid is nice & red with no burning smell.
Any input here & thanx

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (Poordude @ Sep 26 2010, 09:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358869
Troops
I recently bought a 2006 sonata with the 2.4 & automatic. it has 56k miles but is out of warranty(CDN). A lot of times at 50 mph it has a very noticeable surge where the car is not sure what gear it wants to be in(feels like torque converter locking & unlocking)
. At 60 mph plus it,s fine & the tranny shifts smoothly. The fluid is nice & red with no burning smell.
Any input here & thanx
I'd check the 2006 Sonata TSB's at the top of our page. Has your Sonata been on the road for 5 Full years?

You would have the remainder of the 100KM Warranty otherwise! :00000732:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 26 2010, 10:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358872
I'd check the 2006 Sonata TSB's at the top of our page. Has your Sonata been on the road for 5 Full years?

You would have the remainder of the 100KM Warranty otherwise! :00000732:
We get 5 yr 100000 km(60k miles) warranty in canada.

My car is 3 months over the 5 year period.

thanx

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Not sure it was defined as a TSB, but I know my car had the tranny reprogrammed, and for free, 3 years ago, but the car was (still is) under warranty. Also, since this may be a computer glitch, it might be a good idea to reset the tranny by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it again.

Also, If nothing helps, I'd consider tranny fluid change. At this age and mileage, many here have done it. BUT if doing so, I would rather use this "magic" Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, which is more expensive than Hyundai's but (based on several posters here, me included) it works better, smoother, more predictable. Not night-and-day, but still --- better.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Poors fluid is red so that should be good, maybe...maybe not. Can he find out when the last change was done and what fluid they used? Just a thought here....they could have used a "generic" fluid with additives that are supposed to mimic the factory crap.

BTW Poor did you buy an extended warranty? :whistling:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the car from a wholesaler buddy of mine. I have put 6k miles on it since i bought it. at 70 mph the car works fine & upshifts & downshifts are smooth. It just has a very annoying jerk at 50 mph & is a lot worse on hilly terrain. It totally goes away over 60 mph.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If it was mine I'd do one of two things.
1. Have a dealer look at it for reccomendations ie; a fluid change by said dealer or.....
2. Annoying jerk at 50 MPH.....have you looked in the backseat for a lost friend or foe of ours?

Seriously you should see a dealer or ask your friend for your loonies back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.