Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to installing my hub spacers that came in the mail earlier today. I have the process of how I did the install, although yours may vary.

**This thread should only be used as reference guide and where as damage may occur during or following the install, I nor this website shall be held responsible**

On to the install. It was fairly easy, if you have a general concept of cars and can take off your own wheel, you shouldn't have a huge problem.

Tools needed:

Ratchet
12mm socket (deep)
14mm socket (short and deep)
17mm socket (short and deep)
19mm impact socket for lugnuts
Impact gun (optional) or 3/4 ratchet for wheels
Hammer
Phillips screwdriver
Hammer
Brake cleaner
Anti-seize
Micro Image hub spacers
Patience

Jack up your car and place safety stands underneath the torsion beam. I just used a floor jack because it took me 10 minutes a side.

Locate your two bolts holding down your flex line and your e-brake cable. These are a 12mm bolt. Remove these for easier access.

Take your hammer and give the brake drum a couple smacks to loosen up any rust that may have accumulated over time. Locate the one screw holding the drum to the hub and give it a smack as well. Remove this screw followed by the brake drum. I also took my brake cleaner and gave it a good soak while I was cleaning it up.

Now look behind the hub and locate your four 14mm bolts holding the hub and assembly together. Remove all four.

Now here is a comparison of the OEM bolts and the bolts that came in the kit. The OEM bolts are stamped '10' where as the kits bolts are '8.8'. Now, I'm no bolt expert but they seem like a nice replacement with the kit. Anybody verify the difference?

Now, don't forget your anti-seize! This may seem like overkill to some, but trust me, it makes me a **** of a lot easier to work on these bolts down the road doing it right the first time.

Now, slide the spacer in between the hub and the bracket and hand tighten all four bolts. After they are hand tight, use your 17mm sockets to tighten down the bolts. I used the star pattern as I would tightening my wheels. This way it's evenly distributed.

Finally, add anti-seize to the hub face to prevent any future rust building up behind the brake drum and clean everything back up and assemble all your loose ends.

Add finishing touches, install brake drums and wheels and volia! You're all set. Take the car for a spin around the block and make sure there are no odd noises or play in the rear wheels.

Cheers ^_^

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Nice DIY.

I take it you dont have ABS, hence no rear wheel speed sensor?

Interesting to see that the rear hub is in fact not hubcentric to the mounting face on the beam, its just located by the 4 bolts. Mine has the sensor that protrudes through the rear beam axle, centering everything. This of course does not center anymore with the spacer in there, but it doesn't rotate so not such a big deal.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Now here is a comparison of the OEM bolts and the bolts that came in the kit. The OEM bolts are stamped '10' where as the kits bolts are '8.8'. Now, I'm no bolt expert but they seem like a nice replacement with the kit. Anybody verify the difference?

The numbers represent the "grade" of the bolt, like most stuff at hardware store come with 3 line on the head, that be Grade 5,, and Grade 8 has a few more lines (harder), and bare (real inexpensive) is Grade 2 I think it is..

In metric, the 10 is a harder bolt than the softer 8.8,, so you might want to look for some 10 or 12 bolts to replace the 8.8 they supplied to match the spec that Hyundai set for supplier for the suspension bolts.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice DIY.

I take it you dont have ABS, hence no rear wheel speed sensor?

Interesting to see that the rear hub is in fact not hubcentric to the mounting face on the beam, its just located by the 4 bolts. Mine has the sensor that protrudes through the rear beam axle, centering everything. This of course does not center anymore with the spacer in there, but it doesn't rotate so not such a big deal.
Thanks man.

No ABS on this car, so I'd assume it's a bit easier than cars with ABS. To be quite honest I hate ABS, never ever liked it.

As for the 8.8 bolts, I have been told they are a good bolt for the application. I may eventually upgrade to grade 10 but at the moment I'm going to leave them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts