Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

It's that time of the year again!
Time to start thinking about winter tires.

Can anyone comment on either the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 or the Michelin X-Ice Xi3, specifically for the Elantra Sedan?

Has anyone had both, to help me decide whether to save $120 and go for the XI2's?

Or is there a better winter tire altogether?

·
Registered
111 Posts
o_O It's still summer! Not even fall yet!! It's not that time of year yet! LOL!

That said, I've got Michelin X-Ice Xi2s on my Sonata and love them. Unfortunately I don't have a comparison for the Xi3s, but I'm very happy with my current winters. Honestly, compared to the all seasons, almost any snow tire is better in the snow!

Great...now I'm thinking about snow tires for my Elantra!! ;P

·
Banned
998 Posts
I go with General Altimax Arctic.
Very good grip on deep snow, exceptional grip in hard snow.

And cheap... so I will not be very unhappy if I had to change them after 4 seasons although after one season I do not see much of wear.

·
22,793 Posts
I'm not in the frame of mind for "winter!" Ain't prepared to deal with this, just yet! ;)

At least let me get in about 6 weeks of fun at the stadium before I have to sit thru four quarters of "brr..."

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
you get any snow there that is worth getting snow tires?
I do much of my driving on Long Island, where roads are mostly level with few hills, and the roads are cleared fairly well. And I use snow tires. Why? I do some driving in the mountains of PA, but maybe not enough to justify the "expense". But my collision deductible is $1000 and the set of four tires mounted/balanced on steel wheels and delivered to my door cost less than that. So if they save my butt once during their lifespan, they pay for themselves. After that, each time they keep you out of the ditch is just money saved.

Yes, driving skill will also keep you out of the ditch and away from out of control commercial vehicles, but there is also a level of capability offered by winter tires that keep trips from being white-knuckle journeys that leave you exhausted. A trip home on my winter tires earlier this year, in a random snow/ice event, allowed me to drive the 18 mile trip home with minimal effort and complete confidence.

I haven't used either Michelin, so I can't provide any insight, but the Blizzak WS70 is a great solution for my needs. The post here just reaffirms that winter tires are a good investment for people who have no choice but to drive when the snow is falling. I got to drive my Elantra in snow during the freak half-foot of wet snow that fell the week after hurricane Sandy came to town, and it did better (on the Conti tires that are OEM on the Alabama cars) than I thought it would. But swapping out to the winter rubber really transformed the car and the difference is night&day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What size tires did you guys buy for your elantra?

My summer size is 16" but i'll probably pick up 15" steelies.

But for width, what size did you guys go for?

I notice on rally cars, they use really skinny winter tires.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Narrower is better for slush/snow. I have the 195-65-15s - steel wheels - to better deal with winter potholes and frost heaving of the roads. The 15 inch wheels and tires cost less, too.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had both and didn't notice any real difference. Had them on different cars though (the Xi2 on a 2010 Touring and the Xi3 on the 2013 GT).

When I did some research I believe the Xi3 is supposed to wear harder than the older model. Time will have to tell but for me, the 2 winters I had the Xi2s did not see much wear.

I think you would be fine with either.

·
Banned
998 Posts
What size tires did you guys buy for your elantra?

My summer size is 16" but i'll probably pick up 15" steelies.
One or two sizes smaller than you got now.

Say you have 215, go with 195, but same height (total height).

More narrow tire will provide better grip on slippery road - higher pressure means more friction (more force can be applied).

Driving experience will be different, but you will get used to it. Winter tire is a lot different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts