Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m thinking about getting new tires for my 2017 elantra limited. Right now it still has the original tires that came with the car and I got the car new/used one owner before me. I got it around 9900 miles and I’ve probably put 2500 miles on it since May 2017. What kind of tires do you guys recommend? I’ve always wanted Michelin’s but I’m doing research to see if it will be worth getting over another brand. My main reason is that I’m constantly putting air in my right rear tire every week or two but I really just want all new tires. The cold weather may have something to do with it but when it’s warm it still gradually loses air. What do you guys think I should do/what would be good tires to put on this car?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
My question is why are you replacing tyres now with such low mileage? Michelin. Never again. I got them at a good price I thought but the wear and vibration caused by them is exceptional. I have worked in the industry for a very long time so don't take my comments litley.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Ha, replacing that tire will work if your old one has a pin hole in it, but won't if you have a leaking valve or a slight dent in your rim preventing a good seal.

Ever think about having your tire looked at?

Don't see how anybody can recommend a particular tire brand, they all seem to have either good or bad years. In regards to thread wear, have a million reasons not to warrant it for other reasons. Ha, buying a tire is tantamount to buying a lottery ticket.

Can't even recommend a good tire shop, depends upon whose on duty that day. If you read your Hyundai's owner manual, tell you to take it to your dealer. Good luck with this, may find and repair the problem or tell you that leak is perfectly normal.

Son as good luck with his Chrysler dealer, the owner goes to the same church he does, ha, find a dealer that also goes to the same church as you.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Great tires, significantly overpriced. You have to look at the miles you will put on and the type of driving you do. Tires supposedly are getting cracked and old at 6 years and should be replaced regardless of thread depth so if you don't put enough miles on to warrant the price go to a less expensive tire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your air loss problem may be as simple as a loose tire valve core. spray some soapy water into the suspect valve; if you see any bubbling, tighten the valve core.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My last set of Michelins wore out too fast, were fantastic in rain, and overall a good tire, but now too expensive.

I was one person recommending RT43's since I had them on this same car and worked great. Not everyone likes them.

I had to replace my OEM tire due to damage. My shop had the same Nexen tire and said they are one of the best all season radials you can buy. They are OK for my needs.

A tire shop may be able repair the cause of the leaking tire for about $20.00. The reason I replaced one tire instead of all tires was to save money.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey everyone I’m thinking about getting new tires for my 2017 elantra limited.

My main reason is that I’m constantly putting air in my right rear tire every week or two but I really just want all new tires.
As others have noted the rear tire losing air may just be a valve stem issue which would be quick and affordable to fix.

Regarding new tires, what do you want from them? When I need a new set I'm going to look for tires that are quiet. I'm hoping there are better tires in that respect than the Nexen because I find the cabin noise level a bit high sometimes.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
As others have noted the rear tire losing air may just be a valve stem issue which would be quick and affordable to fix.

Regarding new tires, what do you want from them? When I need a new set I'm going to look for tires that are quiet. I'm hoping there are better tires in that respect than the Nexen because I find the cabin noise level a bit high sometimes.
IIRC one member changed tires and said the Nexen's were not noisy. It may be lack of insulation, not the tires.

For me it depends on quality of the road. Freshly paved highway = very little noise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I managed a large nationwide tire chain store for several years, and was a tech there before. Michelins were one of our leading sellers. The defenders are excellent tires. Quiet, good traction in dry, rain and snow. And no, I never worked for Michelin. As long as you keep your maintenance records like anything else (rotations, alignments, ect), Michelin has excellent customer service and they have a 90,000 mile warranty if I remember correctly. They have a softer sidewall which helps absorb the bumps but makes the susceptible to sidewall damage.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Scharder valve stem can be loose, prefer the type on the right with the external spring, they seal better.

Also need a valve stem tool.like this one, mine are so old, Made in the USA, no guarantees by this crap made in China.

Old fashion way of checking for valve stem leaks to to cover the valve stem with spit, bubbles will form with leaks.

A tire is only good for six years? Better replace the tires on my Supra, only 35K miles on them but over 25 years old, still plenty of thread left, but not left out with the UV rays of the sun, if you have this problem, better change them in six or less years.

Happened again here last Monday, ice rain followed by snow, Elly wouldn't make it up my driveway, had to back up again and make a flying start. But after I cleared the snow leaving glare ice on the surface, she doesn't have problems with this, can drive up nice and slowly, guess she doesn't like to plow snow.

Has those super cheap Nexen tires, at the current thread rate, should be good for 50K, but may pay ten bucks extra for the next highest grade, these are excellent ice tires. Can pay as much as four time the price of these tires, what they give you is bragging rights, but certainly not value.

Do look at the load rating, speed rating is where the price skyrockets, but 55 still means 55, ha, on the interstate with a 70 mph speed limit, lucky to hit 20 mph during the so-called rush hour. Hit this on I-94 in the Twin Cities a month ago. All cities are like this. .

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
My last set of Michelins wore out too fast, were fantastic in rain, and overall a good tire, but now too expensive.

I was one person recommending RT43's since I had them on this same car and worked great. Not everyone likes them.

Which michelins did you have - the Pilots are more performance orientated with softer rubber and will wear faster, I had the Primacy mxv4 on my Saabs and they lasted a long time and stayed quiet for the life of the tire, but they aren't a real aggressive tire.

I now have the RT43 on the car and I can tell won't last nearly as long as the Michelin, but other than that a very good tire for the price paid

Lots of good tire choices besides Michelin, it more or less comes down to choosing the right tire for your needs and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Which michelins did you have ...

I now have the RT43 on the car and I can tell won't last nearly as long as the Michelin, but other than that a very good tire for the price paid

Lots of good tire choices besides Michelin, it more or less comes down to choosing the right tire for your needs and how much you want to spend.
Michelin HydroEdge with 90k warranty. Lasted 50k when they had no winter traction. I was driving 25k per year at the time.

My RT43's were $50 each bought online mounted on 14 inch steel rims. My 15" aluminum rims had constant leaks and did not want to go to tire dealer constantly for a slow leak, poor service, and overpriced tires. My RT43's had good wet weather traction and handling.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Defender is a good choice, and if you drive a bit more spirited, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Another good choice is the Continental Extreme DWS 6

ExtremeContact DWS Sizes & Specs | Continental

Yeah, they are kind of weird looking, but they handle great and are the best rain tire I have ever driven.

Had the original versions of those on my last car. They handled everything I put them through with ease. Great tires. Almost put them on the Elantra, but trying the PureContacts (70K tire). So far, love them as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
13k miles is way too early to replace tires but it's your money, your choice. Like others said, that leaky tire is probably an easy fix.

Michelins are quality tires no doubt. My Honda Pilot is at 50k+ miles on the factory ones. They're wearing well, considering this is a big heavy SUV. If your car was older, I'd recommend something cheaper but on a '17, you want to keep that smooth new car ride.

·
Registered
844 Posts
With any manufacturer, it depends on the MODEL of the tire, not just the Manufacturer. Some Michelins are better than others, in terms of noise, traction, treadwear, etc. You can't just throw out a manufacturer's name and assume all of them are going to be good for your needs or not.
That said, whenever I have shopped for tires, I have found the Michelin models to be generally priced higher than other tires that seem to be rated as good or better, in terms of the key performance areas I am usually looking for. Most recently, I have found Hankook Optimo H727s to be a better value for an all-season passenger tire, though I don't know if they come in the sizes that would fit our Elantras.

So my short answer for me is no. Lots of people swear by them, but I think their reputation is over hyped, and I find their price in general to be excessive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts