Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a 2012 Elantra with 21000 miles on it. It runs well but in the last month or so it has started to make a strange noise when first accelerating. I would describe the noise as touching a fork to a metal fan...kind a "zzziiiinnnkkkk" sound, I guess. It only happens when the car has been sitting for a while and only on the first acceleration, usually in first, second, and third gear after which it immediately goes away and doesn't happen again until the next time we drive it. It seems like it would be related to the transmission except the sound is too tinny for it to be the gears. It sounds more like sheet metal making that sound. I took it to the dealer but they said they couldn't make it make the sound, which is crazy because it does it EVERY time we drive it.

Does anybody have any ideas on what this might be?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Possible exhaust heat shield issue. Mine had this and it got worse with time. Repair was covered under warranty but the dealer should have checked this as its fairly common. Its basically a metal rattle on cold start.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Possible exhaust heat shield issue. Mine had this and it got worse with time. Repair was covered under warranty but the dealer should have checked this as its fairly common. Its basically a metal rattle on cold start.
Some type of exhaust shield is loose or cracked, heat expansion gives it enough room not to contact anything after your get it warmed up.

·
22,793 Posts
What they said. Check with you dealer about a TSB that was issued for this. Not saying that's the root cause, but merits checking if for no other reason but to eliminate it from the equation of possibilities.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Staying with the exhaust heat shield theory, it could also be a rock stuck under the muffler shield or (if applicable) exhaust tip. Try banging around with a stick and/or flushing with the garden hose.

Has happened to me many times...

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
i say tell the dealer to do their job.
If someone told me to "do my job" I'd tell them to go fly a metal kite in a lightning storm ^_^

There's a chance the mechanic honestly didn't hear the noise... these guys are paid to do warranty claims and generally don't like to walk away from a car empty-handed. Why jump to conclusions and get everyone all pissed off?

Personally I'd try the garden hose flush, and if that doesn't work simply take the car back and tell the service advisor that the noise has returned and he'd appreciate it if someone could come outside and hear it before it disappears again.

·
6,836 Posts
If someone told me to "do my job" I'd tell them to go fly a metal kite in a lightning storm ^_^
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Aaannndddd...Yes, I've been told that at my job. They're lucky I'm not allowed to hang up on their sorry arses. :dry:

Tip for the big shots who look down on service people: They're humans, too, so if you treat them nicely, they're likely to be more accommodating and helpful. Not all service techs are right, 100% of the time, as we'd love them to be, but being rude won't better the situation, either way.

·
22,793 Posts
I must be getting in really well with our service department. They seem to really enjoy me coming in. The lot porter will see my car and search me out. Always glad to see me, as I am him. I found that bragging to the service manager for a "job well done" goes a looooong way in getting treated like royalty. I have no complaints, whatsoever. I'm on first name basis with 3 techs, 2 parts guys, 2 service writers, and their manager. Even the billing clerk makes me go get a cup of coffees out of their new-fangled machine AFTER she gives me a hug! This is a far sight better dealer than the one they bought out! Vastly improved and happier customers.

Certainly will win favor with me "if" I ever decide to trade up again.

·
6,836 Posts
Rich, I remember you mentioning your accolades to the service person there. I would expect nothing less from you, sir! Both the Hyundai dealership I was taking my Elantra to and now the Nissan dealer have been friendly and helpful to us, too. Heck, we bought 2 cars in the same day from Nissan, so they definitely remember us! :laughing:

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks, Holly. Most of us are quick to complain but remiss in lauding praise when deserved. I've tried to balance that out. Sure does go a long way in building relationships. By golly, when I see a job well done I'll take the few extra minutes to tell someone! I can relate. It feels doggone good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I have a fairly new 2013 Limited and I already hear this sometimes...not too bad but I can definitely hear it. Just a tinny rattle noise during acceleration that lasts for a second or 2 then goes away once everything warms up. I'll have the dealer look at it during my first service call.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I am wondering if what your hearing is the ABS test during the first acceleration upon startup? Most cars I have driven with ABS for some reason seems to get louder on self-test as the car ages. possibly due to the brake pad wearing .

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I am wondering if what your hearing is the ABS test during the first acceleration upon startup? Most cars I have driven with ABS for some reason seems to get louder on self-test as the car ages. possibly due to the brake pad wearing .
The ABS test is a single clunk around 20mph. If these guys do have the heat shield issue it will sound more like a metal can full of nails shaking as soon as the car starts. It will get worse over time too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts