Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 GT with the 17" wheels, and auto. I recently crossed the 100k mile marker on the original front struts and rear shocks only replaced around 50k with some cheap Monroes. To avoid the long story below, how many miles can you expect to get out of the Megan Racing EZII coilover set if used for daily driving (or under whatever conditions you drive under for your experience)?
Long story, I've recently put on the Pierce Motorsports front lower tie bar, rear bar on the child seat anchors, rear sway bar, and Megan Racing front strut bar. All were gifts because I like working on my car and am bad at giving people useful gift ideas, just in case anyone is wondering why I got so much bracing and don't race.
To finish out renewing the main suspension parts, I was planning on getting the KYB rear shocks, front struts, mounts and bearings. After pricing the parts from rockauto and hyundaipartsdeal, I'm sitting around $500. For a little more, I'm considering the Megan Racing EZII coilovers for $750. I don't track the car but I want to lower it a little and stiffen up the ride some. I realize they aren't practical for cheap maintenance in case of an accident or excessive wear, so I was hoping a few people here who have had them for a decent amount of time can provide some feedback on the possible lifetime of this set. I've searched a few forums looking for this info but haven't found much follow up after more than a few months. I don't plan on slamming the car, and again no track use. Mainly to and from work whenever that starts back up, and eventually will go to my son in a couple years. I've never had coilover, and only once used lowering springs, so I'm not familiar with how long they last. I'm not expecting anything near OEM or premium aftermarket of course, but hopefully most people are able to get a decent amount of time out of them before experiencing any noticeable ride degradation.
Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,830 Posts
I would say the Megan Racing coilovers would be too harsh for daily driving (I did daily the Street Series for years) and it was rough. After I went back to stock with KYB shocks it was too soft but more friendly for daily driving. Now my current N Line suspension is the perfect balance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say the Megan Racing coilovers would be too harsh for daily driving (I did daily the Street Series for years) and it was rough. After I went back to stock with KYB shocks it was too soft but more friendly for daily driving. Now my current N Line suspension is the perfect balance!
N line suspension ? Link to product by chance ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Justin. I actually got most of the bracing for my car after watching your YouTube videos since they looked easy enough and fairly inexpensive. So thanks for making those too.
When you say harsh, would you say it's s harsh to the point stuff is going to be rattling things loose after a while, even on the softer settings? I think I can live with a harsh ride since my wife hasn't had to ride in it in over a year now and she'd be the only reason I keep it comfortable. I also daily drove a 1994 Volvo 940 wagon for a year with a good portion of the springs cut out resulting in basically riding on bottomed out shocks and barely 2" of ground clearance and didn't mind the constant bouncing and slamming.

As long as I can get a couple years out of them I'd be happy. I want the lowering and stiffer ride but didn't want to spend a grand, and didn't want the cheapest Rev9 or Godspeed ones. Then once/if my kid ends up with it, he can decide if he wants me to swap back to the softe OEM setup.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
N line suspension ? Link to product by chance ?
Yes stock N Line suspension on my 2019 Elantra GT N Line. Sorry I didnt mean it as a swap.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the response Justin. I actually got most of the bracing for my car after watching your YouTube videos since they looked easy enough and fairly inexpensive. So thanks for making those too.
When you say harsh, would you say it's s harsh to the point stuff is going to be rattling things loose after a while, even on the softer settings? I think I can live with a harsh ride since my wife hasn't had to ride in it in over a year now and she'd be the only reason I keep it comfortable. I also daily drove a 1994 Volvo 940 wagon for a year with a good portion of the springs cut out resulting in basically riding on bottomed out shocks and barely 2" of ground clearance and didn't mind the constant bouncing and slamming. View attachment 448742

As long as I can get a couple years out of them I'd be happy. I want the lowering and stiffer ride but didn't want to spend a grand, and didn't want the cheapest Rev9 or Godspeed ones. Then once/if my kid ends up with it, he can decide if he wants me to swap back to the softe OEM setup.
I believe a couple years is without question especially without high mileage driving. I only drive roughly 6k a year. I really didnt like the rear shock setup as it seemed like a I could never get it dampened correct due to the height I was at or something. I just cannot recommend Megan Racing anymore due to their incompetence with listing products. Several 2016 owners have purchased Megans 2016+ kit (Which should be 2018+ as thats what it really is) only to find it doesnt fit. I reached out more than three times with the first being over a year ago stating they needed to fix this issue but the brush it off and people keep buying a product that doesnt fit because their listing is wrong. Due to that fact alone I will not recommend Megan Racing anymore. Regardless I believe their as better products out their for maybe a couple hundred dollars more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts