Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been fighting with my 05 sonata GLS (2.7Ltr V6 atx) having lean issues on both banks. Well when my fiance bought the car it was in parts and she payed a shop to put it back "properly." Well I am no mechanic by no means just learning how to fix things on my own. But I did the intake gaskets (upper and lower plenum) and noticed quite a few odd things.

First the gaskets bot were put on with some kind of RTV sealent *Not gasket maker* and that was a pain to remove. Second the whole inside of the upper and lower plenum was black as coal and coated in a layer of oil. Don't know if that is normal or not but it seems unusual to be that heavaly coated. I clean all that the best I could with some Berrymans B-12 Chemtool. Now the spark plugs were the worst of it all. I was suprised the engine ran at all.

now on to my current issue.
seems I might be having a electrical issue. one of my 02 sensors is reading dead now which I know it shouldn't be because before I did the work on the intake it was reading like it should. now it reads 0.000V and sometimes it will "wake up and fluctuate between 0.115 - 0.250V. Im going to try and back probe it in the morning when it cools down and I can get my fat hands down in there but it is B2 S2. That should be on the front end of the car or is that on the back end near the fire wall "think that should be bank one as it is a transverse layout correct?" If it is working then where about should I look next? I know electrical work is a nightmare on cars and usually it costs a pretty penny to have a shop do it. I am trying to avoid a trip to the shop as I am broke all the time. I do have some experience in electrical work as my hobbies are computers are stereo equipment and older tv's and the like so I am almost certain a car can't be too much different when it comes down to it besides the point it is a 12V dc system and not 120V AC. I also have done stereo installs on cars before too so I can find my way around somewhat if it comes to wire color and what not.

Just needing some advice as I really like my car and I want it to run right and defenately don't want it to burst into flames lol.
Forgive any typos as my spelling sucks and my hands are sore from working on that thing. Shes running pretty good on the other hand but it is still lean at least now STFT is now showing - numbers now but only during idle. I also know for a fact that I will be needing injectors as there seems to be some damage to them by that aformentiond shop

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
You shouldn't have too much trouble probing B2S2. It's connector is usually right at the front of the engine....see below.

Low output voltage from an O2 sensor is often a symptom of a faulty sensor heater circuit rather than a lean mixture. A true lean mixture must effect both upstream & downstream sensors, since they are both exposed to the same exhaust gas leaving the cylinders.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I figured it out. Must have gotten fuel on it when I was doing the gaskets. Started it up this morning and it was normal. On a side note I now know where most of my issues are. Need to replace all the injectors and the timing is ever so slightly off. maybe by a tooth or two.

Great news is that it is running great for the most part and has no issues with power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts