Hyundai Forums banner

May be buying a 2018 Elantra SE

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  NDSE 
#1 ·
The local Hyundai sales guy worked out the numbers for me and can get me into a 2018 Elantra SE for only $50 more than what I'm paying for my 2016 Elantra SE with 53k on it.

There's a lot to like about the 2018 Elantra, vis-a-vis my 2016 one, but there is also one major downside and one minor downside (maybe ) with it.

The biggest issue I have is with the loss of foot and knee space in the 2018 vs. the 2016, particularly with the left foot dead pedal that comes up what feels like two inches higher than what is in mine. I have an SI joint injury on my left side and after a 20 minute test drive, my hip and legs here killing me.

I tried moving the seat back as far as I could without taking my feet off the pedals and it still wasn't enough.

The other issue is with the engine and the transmission - part of which is that they are not "Broken in" yet and have not adapted to my style of driving. The lag off the line is pretty lame by my standards but putting it into SPORT mode overcame some of that.

Also, while driving in ECO mode, downshifting from 4th was non-existent. Could that be a problem which only this car has or have others noticed the same thing?

Again, leaving it in SPORT mode solved the "shiftless" tyranny of the tranny.

Is there a rubber pad on that left-side dead pedal that can be removed and give my leg more room to extend?

I really like how quiet they have made the interior and also the engine which is basically the same 1.8L engine as in the 2016 with the rpm bands tuned down. The wheelbase is the same. The car length is less than an inch longer but it looks so much bigger next to my 2016. The 2018 curb weight is actually a bit lighter than my 2016.

What are your thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
The biggest issue I have is with the loss of foot and knee space in the 2018 vs. the 2016, particularly with the left foot dead pedal that comes up what feels like two inches higher than what is in mine. I have an SI joint injury on my left side and after a 20 minute test drive, my hip and legs here killing me.

What are your thoughts?
20 minutes and you were in terrible pain? I hope your commute is less than a mile.

#6 · (Edited)
Absolutely. Pay to play? Okay. Pay to pain? H3ll no.

Imagine, getting up in the morning knowing you are about to abuse your body. What a way to start the day. And worse? You’re paying an extra $50 for the privilege to do it. I’m with @Steve_P and @rmissourimule on this one.

Reactions: rmissourimule
#5 ·
Twisted my left knee and pinching a sciatic nerve, talk about major pain in my left leg, only place I am pain free is in my 2017 Limited with power lumbar and electrically heated seats with many different seat adjustments and ventilated seats.

Due for knee surgery this Tuesday, hope they can fix it followed by sciatic nerve surgery, 6'2" tall, 195 pounds. Automatic with manual override is wonderful.

Is your condition permanent with your leg or can it be fixed? Major chore is finding the right doctor.

#8 ·
Wife objected to purchasing an AT, but explained that's all all we can get if you want all those goodies, but after I showed her manual mode, now she loves it.

If we did get an MT, would be dead meat for me, left leg just doesn't work, have to use my hand to put that leg in the car. Weird, last fall was climbing trees thanks to China ash bore, three has to come down, ladder is only 24 feet tall, strapped that to the tree, than used my air compressor with a 150 foot hose to drive in foot long lag screws to get up the rest of the way. Screw using a chain saw, used my recip saw with a 12" wood cutting blade for those top branches, a lot safer could have blown 9,000 bucks to have it professionally done for three trees. Got it done on a weekend.

Actually a lot more than 9,000 that is after tax bucks.

Test drove my Limited 25 miles before saying yes, ha,dealer asked me if I was going to buy it or wear it out. Take you time in purchasing,make sure you are comfortable with it. Kids are gone now, actually can find a buck in my wallet.

#9 ·
Cars are like any other relationship. You want to choose wisely. Ask yourself, can I live with this car long term before I say yes? Otherwise, like Meatloaf, you will be "praying to the end of time" with your Elantra. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.