Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post. I have a 2017 7 seater that's just a couple of months old so I thought I should join here!

My question, what's the maximum tire size I can fit on the base model Santa Fe XL 7 seater) with the 18" rims and current tire size of 235/60r18? Specifically, will 255/65r18's fit in the wheel well? (I know the speedo would be off etc etc.) just wondering about space at the moment.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2017, that is a very minor change so I don't think that would be an issue at all but that depends on your offset as well so you gotta be careful with that. Personally I don't think there's any issue at all with what you're asking so yeah go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

I thought it would be ok. They would be 6.7% bigger in diameter. (That's 2" taller over the stock size from about 29" to 31" tall) so I was thinking that may be a bit much but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I thought it would be ok. They would be 6.7% bigger in diameter. (That's 2" taller over the stock size from about 29" to 31" tall) so I was thinking that may be a bit much but wasn't sure.

YW and GL, look at it this way as your ride will be firmer than what you currently have .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I replace my tires earlier this year from the stock Kumho Crugen 235/55/R19 to Michelin Defenders LTX 245/55/R19. No issues with rubbing. I find it funny when shopping for tires, the Michelins in 235/55R19 were MORE EXPENSIVE that the larger 245/55R19. Food for thought when you all are in the market for new tires. Cheers

·
Registered
812 Posts
I replace my tires earlier this year from the stock Kumho Crugen 235/55/R19 to Michelin Defenders LTX 245/55/R19. No issues with rubbing. I find it funny when shopping for tires, the Michelins in 235/55R19 were MORE EXPENSIVE that the larger 245/55R19. Food for thought when you all are in the market for new tires. Cheers

I agreed with this statement as well and from what most tires companies have told me, 235 series are an odd size tire which was the reason why they're more expensive than the 245 or even 255 series. Guess they do know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Watch your state inspection requirements if you gave that. Some states only allow tires sizes that are within the manufacturer's specifications.

Only other negative as some have pointed out is that a smaller sidewall will give you a firmer ride that you may or may not like....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Only other negative as some have pointed out is that a smaller sidewall will give you a firmer ride that you may or may not like....
And yet another for those living in a winter snow belt state is there is less clearance for the inevitable ice build-up in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 7 seater as well.
It came with 235/55/19.
I replaced with 255/45/20.

My question, what's the maximum tire size I can fit on the base model Santa Fe XL 7 seater) with the 18" rims and current tire size of 235/60r18? Specifically, will 255/65r18's fit in the wheel well? (I know the speedo would be off etc etc.) just wondering about space at the moment.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Would going to a taller tire not have a negative effect on performance, your gearing is for the factory installed specs, I would think your engine is working harder with larger diameter tires, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
GoodB.....Yes, going to a larger circumference will affect performance and mileage to some degree. If you go outside of the factory specified (Allowed) tire and / or wheel sizes it will also be considered as a modification by the manufacturer. Not something that we as Dealers recommend as it has the potential to make life more difficult for everyone involved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am just wondering if some one can tell me weather or not the low tire pressure light appears if you change the tires with slightly different specification as mentioned as I believe it does come with 19' rims as well.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I am just wondering if some one can tell me weather or not the low tire pressure light appears if you change the tires with slightly different specification as mentioned as I believe it does come with 19' rims as well.
No. Changing the tires (regardless of size) will not cause a tmps sensor to go off. The installer might have damaged it during the install. Double check it with a manual tire gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts