Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if there's any good mechanic here in this forum.

My 2003 Matrix 1.6 Auto (Korean CBU) is having problem again.
This time, the gearbox. I was driving on highway at 90kmph for nearly one hour, when suddenly the gear shift down to gear 1.
The sudden shift caused the car to jerk and the front tyres screeeching on the highway tarmax.
Luckily another car behind me was at a safe distance and able to evade my car.
The transmission oil was at the recommended level, and still 10,000 km away from the next change.

I continued driving and it happened again, luckily i was at low speed 60kmph.
A friend told me to drive below 60kmph at keep rpm below 3k and i managed to get home safely.
Now the car is sitting in the garage coz i do not dare to drive it.

One workshop said it was due to a thing caled 'solenoid' which controls the shift and since the gear jumped from gear 4 to gear 1, most probably two solenoids need to be changed- one for gear 3 and one for gear 2. He said it would easily cost over MYR1,000 (USD300) excluding labor.

The car has no problem to shift up from gear 1 - 2- 3 -4 but the problem is shifting down coz it will jump down to gear 1 instead to gear 3.

ANY 2nd OPINION HERE ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jsinton..

Sent the car to Hyundai service center in KL and they couldnt detect any trouble code.
A technician drove it around and found no problem wth the gearbox.
I leave the car wth the service center till this weekend so that they can figure out the problem and do the necessary repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told by technician from the service center that the problem was caused by transmission solenoid.
He said that there are 5 solenoids in Hyundai Matrix gearbox and it comes in a set of 5 which means if one solenoid malfunctions, the whole set has to be replaced.
Is this true?
He quoted a set of 5 solenoids costs MYR 2,250 excluding labor in Malaysia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts